‹ Prequel: Nightmare City
Sequel: Paris Redux

Hunter's Strike

Chapter 13 - Last Friday Night

Gabriel joined the growing group downstairs. He wore short black trunks that sat low on his hips. Angie always commented on how thin he was, but he wasn't without tone. His muscles were tight and compact, and much more powerful than any human's.

Sybil let out a fox whistle when she saw him. "What, no speedo?" She complained loudly. "I don't want anything left to the imagination!"

Gabriel could hear her, of course, but he chose to ignore her.

“Okay, this party only has one rule. If you want to drink any booze, you have to agree to sing at least one song on the karaoke machine.” Callie grinned. “Of course, I have already picked all of your songs for you.”

Angie raised her hand. “Do you have to drink in order to sing? I like singing.”

“No, you’re good Angie. You just don’t get to choose your first song. I’ve already put together the playlist.”

“You’re going to embarrass all of us, aren’t you?” Chris accused. He was already in the pool.

Callie shrugged. “You’ll be drunk, so what do you care?”

“You make a persuasive argument.”

A car parked in the lot next to Gabriel's car and two people that Angie didn't recognize got out. They were a boy and a girl, both in their teens. They both had black hair, the boy's was short and the girl's was long. Both had their hair parted in such a way as to obscure one of their eyes, though they each parted their hair on a different side.

The boy wore an old Victorian style bathing suit in faded blue and white stripes. The girl wore a long white sun dress, white lace gloves, and a straw hat. The boy carried a cooler and the girl held a large white box in both hands.

Gabriel stepped forward to greet the pair. "Anais, Ciel. It's so good to see you again."

Ciel embraced Gabriel like a brother. Anais balanced the box on one hand and held the other out to Gabriel. Gabriel dutifully kissed the back of it.

"We've brought refreshments!" Ciel held up the cooler.

"And pastry for the humans." Anais held the box out to Gabriel.

Gabriel took the box and the cooler and brought them over to the refreshments table.

Angie knew the teens were familiar but she was trying place from where...

Then it clicked in her head. They were the kids that had rescued Gabriel and taken him to their birthing clinic to heal. They had looked a lot younger then. That was the thing about vampires, age was fluid.

Callie stood in front of Angie frowning. "What?" Though she felt she already knew what was wrong, with the way Callie was giving her closed robe a disapproving look.

In a blink of an eye Callie had untied the robe. "Hey, wait a sec!". Angie hurriedly tried to grab the tie, but Callie swiftly caught it first. With one fluid movement she pulled the tie out of all the loops.

She held up the end of it. "This is for your own good." Then she walked away.

Walking in from the street were Donovan and Nymph. Florence and Nigel followed closely behind them. Nymph was the only one of the group dressed for swimming. They wore a pale yellow T-shirt and green swimming trunks.

Nigel and Florence made beelines for Angie. "Sweet Angie, finally we have returned to your side!"

"It's been less than forty-eight hours, chill." Angie laughed.

"We've brought copious amounts of alcohol with us." Florence said, holding a large wooden crate in his hands.

"I am sure Callie will just love taking that off your hands for you."

Nigel was peering past Angie at the crowd by the pool. "I spy two exquisite human girls, brother."

Florence smirked. "One for each of us."

Sybil was close enough to overhear. "Oh no, I'm already dealing with unwanted feelings for a sexy male vampire. One is enough." She held her hand out and walked away.

The brothers weren’t even fazed. They turned their attention to Cass, who was sitting at the edge of the pool watching her brother dunk Steven under the water. “I suppose we could share.” Nigel said.

“I’m sure we can come to some sort of arrangement.”

Nymph headed right for the pool while Donovan stayed off to the side. Since the pool had no working lights, Callie and Sybil had tossed in literally dozens of glowsticks. The bottom of the pool looked like an underwater rave.

Nymph dove into the water gracefully, zipping across like a fish. They came up for air at the other end and then dove back under.

Steven fended off Ricky as best as he could. He finally got the upper hand by kicking Ricky’s legs out from under him and pushing him under the water. “Ha!” he cried, still spluttering water.

Nymph swam over to Steven and surfaced, staring at him in curiosity. Nymph leaned closer to him, peering into his eyes. Steven hurriedly went to adjust his glasses, having forgotten that he’d taken them off before going into the pool.

“Geez, um…” he stammered before realizing that Nymph’s eyes were the exact same color as his own. He stared in wonder. “Are you…”

Nymph clasped their hands together in delight. “I knew it!” they exclaimed in their soft voice. “You are of fey and human descent. Though only a small part of you is fey.”

Steven’s went wide. “You too, right?”

Nymph shook their head. “Oh no. I am pure-blooded fey.”

“That’s impossible. My father told me there were no more fey.”

Nymph’s expression became saddened. Ricky sat crouched in the water next to them, just the top half of his head sticking out. His eyes moved back and forth between them. “It’s true… I’ve sailed for a very long time and I’ve not found any of my brothers or sisters in centuries. I’m so afraid that I might be the last one left.”

Steven put his hands on Nymph’s arms comfortingly. “What happened to them all?”

The sadness in their eyes deepened. “Vampires.” Nymph whispered. “Fey are powerful beyond imagination. Our blood was coveted by the nosferatu. When they drink it, they are able to heal any wound and gain terrible strength. We were hunted to extinction centuries ago. We were powerful, but the vampires had so many more numbers.”

Steven was sad too now. Ricky decided to break the mood. “You don’t look powerful beyond imagination.” He poked Nymph’s side.

Nymph turned to him. “I am but a child still.” Their eyes burned with sudden passion. “In three hundred years I will mature and wield unbelievable might. I and my children will vanquish all foes and we will be revered as gods.”

Ricky stared at Nymph for a long moment. “I wish you all the best.” Then he ducked back down under the water.

Angie and Sybil sat in deck chairs by the pool. Sybil nudged Angie's shoulder. "Hey, while Gabriel is distracted down here, let's go upstairs to his bedroom and go through his stuff."

Angie gave her a skeptical look. "You KNOW now that only reason you like him is because of vampire mind voodoo and yet you're still after him?"

"For the record I was never ‘after’ him. I’m just openly exuberant about art I appreciate. And secondly, I want to mess with him in retaliation." Her expression darkened. "Stupid vampire mind tricks, making me attracted to a guy."

"It's not like he's doing it on purpose." Angie pointed out.

She shrugged. "Hey, if I wasn't random, spiteful, and confusing, then I'd be nothing." Her expression turned canny. "Come on... Ten bucks says he's got a vibrator hidden under his mattress."

For a second Angie looked absolutely appalled. Sybil waggled her eyebrows. Angie's expression turned shrewd. "Twenty."

"Oh come on." Callie said, coming out of nowhere. "You don't have time for this." She snagged Angie's arm and hauled her to her feet.

"Hey wait!" Sybil complained. Callie shoved a crumpled twenty dollar bill into her chest and dragged Angie away.

Sybil unfolded the bill and grinned. "Aw yeah, easy money."

“You know, you can’t fool everyone when you act naive like that.” Callie said. “Just feel lucky that Gabriel doesn’t know how to look up your browser history.”

“Whoa, hey! I just read a little, not-”

“Yeah, I know what you read.” She said as she continued to drag her down the length of the pool.

Angie dug her heels in, stopping them both. “Callie, what’s wrong? You’re being really pushy today.”

Callie turned. Her smile was bright, but tight at the corners. “I know I am, and I’m sorry. It’s just that we’re getting down to the wire now and I need to fix as much as I can before-” She shook her head quickly, as if trying to clear it. “I just want to help.”

Angie gave her a sympathetic look. “I can see that you’ve been pushing yourself, but it’s not your responsibility to fix all my issues.”

Callie’s blue eyes looked a little desperate. “Angie, sweetie, you’re the best friend I’ve ever had. You literally saved my life when we first met. I used to be so tuned into you I could see your whole life mapped out down to the minute. If you had a road map like that, and you knew you could help a friend, definitely help, wouldn’t you?”

“I can’t say for certain, but probably.” Angie sighed in defeat. “If I could see the future and know that everything definitely turns out okay.”

“Good, because I really need you to trust me right now.” Callie put both hands on her shoulders and looked deep into her eyes.

“Okay… for what?”

“Step two.” She turned and led Angie over to the parking lot.

A woman Angie’s age was waiting there, leaning on the hood of a car. She stood up when the other women approached.

Angie’s eyes went wide when she recognized her. “Julia?”

Julia Martinez had been Angie’s best friend in public school. Angie’s grandfather had family in Puerto Rico that were in the same town that Julia’s aunt and uncle lived in. Before her mom had married Chris’ dad, they would visit every summer and the two girls had been nearly inseparable.

They’d stayed friends up through middle school, but had gone to separate high schools and fallen out of touch. Angie hadn’t seen her for years, until the day she’d discovered she'd been sleeping with her boyfriend.

Angie stood dumbfounded. She looked at Callie, who was clutching both hands together. Angie decided to trust her. “What are you doing here?”

Julia’s expression was sad, and guilty. She had thick, dark curly hair that went down her back and skin a deep tan. Her lips were large and perfectly shaped. Her eyes were so dark they were nearly black. “Um, well…” she said nervously. She looked over at Callie who gave her an encouraging look. “I broke up with him, Angie. A couple of weeks ago.” Words started rushing out in a flood. “He was such a tool, seriously. When your friend called me and told me what happened, it was the last straw on a huge pile of straws. I had no idea you two were going out, he never told me. Honest, no clue.” She wrung her hands in frustration and sighed loudly. “And he was just so TERRIBLE. You have no idea what he tried to do to me. I wanted to PUNCH him right in the dick. And even though I wasn’t aware of it, I did a really terrible thing to you and I’m really sorry.”

Angie was quiet throughout her entire rant. When she stopped she looked expectant, but even then Angie had a hard time finding any words. After what felt like ages, she finally spoke. “I’m the one that broke his nose…”

Julia’s eyes bugged out. “Are you serious?” Angie nodded. “Damn, girl. You go.” She pushed Angie’s shoulder lightly.

Angie gave her a small smile. “We’re having a pool party right now. Do you want to join? We can catch up.”

Julia looked over at the group of people carrying on by the pool. “Sure, why not? I just happen to be wearing my swimsuit under my clothes.”

Angie held out her hand. Julia took it and Angie led her to the pool.

The Karaoke machine was set up in a small gazebo by the pool. On the outside, the refreshments tables were set up. Angie and Julia were nibbling on carrot sticks because all of the cookies were gone.

“I dunno, Angie, I’m thinking about switching my major. Maybe go into Criminal Psychology.” She spoke loudly, because Chris was busy singing his required song.

“Is there a lot of call for that?” Angie asked as she fed a celery stick into her mouth slowly.

“Well, the NYPD is going to lift its hiring freeze over the next few years, so-” She stopped and put a hand on her purse. “Hold on, lemme get that.” She took her phone out and put it to her ear, plugging the other one with her finger. “Hello?”

Angie watched her friend’s eyes widen, then narrow angrily. “I told you to stop CALLING ME!” She swung around, away from Angie. “No! I will NOT stop yelling! LEAVE ME ALONE!”

She hung up angrily, throwing her phone onto the snack table. “Ugh! What the hell is wrong with him?” She looked back an Angie. “I have to go. He said he was on the way here. I have no idea how he even knows where I am!”

“You didn’t tell anyone?” Angie asked her.

“Of course not! I didn’t know I was going to be staying for a party.”

Angie pointed at her phone. “What about your GPS? He used to follow me around using the GPS on my phone before I broke his nose.”

She picked up her phone and held it out to Angie. “How do I turn it off?”

Angie took the phone and popped off the backplate. She pulled the battery out and handed everything back. “That’s the best way I know, Jules, sorry.”

“No it’s fine.” She was still fuming. “If he IS using GPS then he might not know the exact address. I better get out of here while he’s still wandering around.”

Angie put a hand on her arm. “No, don’t. Just hide out here with me and my friends. If he does come by, we’ll get rid of him.”

“I’m really sorry, again.”

“There’s nothing to feel sorry about. The most important thing is that you’re safe.”

Gabriel stood on the other side of the gazebo, leaning his back on the wooden frame. Chris’ singing was loud, but it could not drown out the conversation that had just transpired.

It appeared that Evangeline’s abuser was in the vicinity. The way that events had transpired over the last two days, leading up to this moment, was just too convenient. As if Fate were taking special interest in Evangeline.

His red eyes shifted to Calypso, who was standing by the pool with Sybil. Even Fate should know when their meddling was going too far.

He made his way over to Calypso, grasping her forearm and spinning her around. She looked at him in surprise. “Gabriel, what’s gotten into you?”

He leaned close to her, keeping his voice low. “I know what you’re doing, and you’re going to stop it right now.”

Calypso’s eyes shifted to Sybil guiltily. “I don’t know what you mean…”

“Why would you do this to her? Do you really think making her face him out of the blue will really help? Don’t you think she should deal with her trauma at her own pace?” His anger was building up, turning his deep red eyes a bright crimson.

Calypso’s expression became confused. “Wait, who are you-”

“Evangeline.” He wanted to shake some sense into her, but he kept a lid on his temper. For now. “How could you lead the last person she ever wants to see to this party?”

Her eyes turned to saucers. “No… I didn’t…”

“Do not lie to me, Calypso. Do you really think I cannot recognize your handiwork when I see it?”

She shook her head slowly, horror dawning on her face. “Gabriel, no I didn’t, I swear. I planned this party weeks ago. I just wanted to get Angie out of her shell, and to make up with her friend. I never…”

“Never what? Saw this coming?”

“I truly didn’t.” She looked over at Evangeline. “Oh sweetie, I’m so sorry…”

“Even if you didn’t plan this last bit, it’s still your fault.” Gabriel insisted. “Just because you can SEE everything it doesn’t mean you KNOW everything.” He shoved her arm away in disgust.

He turned away from her. “Wait, what are you going to do?” She asked.

He looked back at her over his shoulder. “I’m not sure yet.”

“Don’t kill him. She wouldn’t want that. It would ruin the party.”

“No…” He looked out over the pool, till he spotted Nigel and Florence on the other side. They were fawning over Cassandra, who did not seem to mind at all. “It’s better to do this the human way.”

He jumped over the pool easily, landing lightly next to the trio. “Please excuse me, Cassandra. I have to borrow your admirers.”

Cassandra looked disappointed, the brothers looked devastated. Gabriel grasped each one by the shoulder and leaned close, explaining the situation. “What do you need us to do?” Nigel asked. They both had determined looks in their eyes.

It only took a couple of minutes to go over the plan with them. "Is there anything I can do to help?" Cassandra asked.

"Make sure no one interrupts." Gabriel told her.

Angie couldn't stop the terrible cold fidgeting going on inside her stomach. It took most of her effort just to keep the appearance of calm. At least Julia wasn't scared. She was seething with rage.

"May we join you fair beauties?" Nigel asked, appearing at her elbow.

Florence stood next to Julia and bowed. "Mi dios! How could I miss such a lovely flower blooming right under my nose?" He exclaimed.

Julia's face brightened instantly. "Hola.” She held her hand out to him.

He clasped her hand and kissed it gracefully. “Senorita, if you allow me the pleasure of basking in your radiance this night, I will be your lowly knight. Please, I beg of you to whisper to me your fondest desires.” Florence’s eyes glowed with passion.

Julia looked absolutely dazzled. “What is your name?”

“My mother named me Florence, but you may call me your humble servant. Or your dog.”

She laughed and the sound was like church bells. “How about you get me a drink?”

Angie turned to Nigel. “You and your brother really need to get out more.”

“Oh sweet Angie, we could not agree more.” He presented her with a paper cup filled with fruit punch. The cold feeling in her stomach faded. The brothers’ antics could cheer up a corpse.

Angie put a hand on his forearm as she took the drink. "What's wrong? I thought you two were chatting up Cassandra? Don’t tell me she doesn’t like you two?"

"It would cut our pride to leave two lovely ladies all by their lonesome at a party."

Angie laughed. "No really." She spotted a car pulling into the parking lot and her smile dropped.

The car was a black Mercedes and she recognized it all too well. The driver seemed to be having a hard time controlling his car, as evidenced by its jerky movements while trying to get into a parking spot.

"Oh god, he's drunk, isn't he?" Stupendous.

Julia looked over as well. She swore under her breath. "I really should go."

"Fair angel, if you left me now you would rend my heart in two." Florence said pleadingly. "Fear not, should danger rear its ugly head we shall abscond safely together." He bent his head down to Julia’s, the tip of his nose just brushing her ear. She giggled in delight.

There was a crash and a tinkling of glass. Angie winced. The Mercedes had hit the Studebaker's rear bumper. One front headlight was completely destroyed. The Studebaker wasn't even scratched.

Okay, maybe the new car wasn't half bad. It was old enough to qualify as an antique, but they sure didn't make them like that anymore.

Julia whistled low. "Oooo, his dad is gonna take the cost of that one out of his hide."

"Oh I hope so."

The driver gave up and got out of the car, slamming the door in frustration. He looked around, then headed for the gazebo.

Jackson Lake was tall, with wide shoulders and a medium build. His black hair was short and slightly curly. His eyes were a stormy blue gray and his face would look quite handsome if not for the fact that his nose was slightly crooked.

He wore a pale blue button down shirt under a navy blazer. His tie was loosened and the top button of his shirt was undone. His collar was wrinkled. He wasn’t having a very good night.

He kept looking around as he got closer, till he spotted Julia and made a beeline towards her.

Angie's grip on Nigel's arm tightened as the cold crept back into her intestines. He slid an arm around her waist protectively, providing her with emotional as well as physical support.

Jackson marched right up to Julia and grabbed her upper arm angrily. “What the hell do you think you’re doing here?” he growled angrily.

“That’s my line!” Julia shouted.

Florence shifted, putting himself halfway between the two, putting one arm under Jackson’s and pushing it out of the way. “I’m afraid this is a private party, and you are not on the guest list.”

“I’m just here to get what’s mine.” Jackson said, not backing down. Angie was downwind from him and could tell someone had been in their father’s brandy.

“Get the hell out of my life, Jackson.” Julia growled. “I already told you we’re done. How many times do I have to say it before it gets through that thick skull?”

“No, see, I am the one who decides when we’re done, okay?”

Julia’s eyes turned murderous. She looked like she was ready to claw his eyes out. Florence put a hand on her shoulder to calm her. “Worry not, my fiery vixen. We shall remove ourselves to a more quieter place.”

Her eyes softened in relief. She exhaled, calming down. “You’re right, Florence. Let’s go find someplace a little more private.”

They turned to leave but Jackson grabbed Florence’s shoulder and spun him back around. He then punched him in the face.

Florence went down like a stone, perhaps a little too quickly. He clutched his face with one hand, looking horrified.

Julia knelt down next to him immediately, worry on her face. “What the hell, Jackson!” She put a hand on Florence’s face, then petted his hair. “Oh you poor thing...”

Angie took one step forward, out of Nigel’s protective embrace, her arm moving automatically.

Jackson looked at her at surprise. His hair and face were soaked, his shirt stained pink. “Angie?” he said, recognizing her.

“This isn’t your party, Jackson. You’re not welcome here.” Her eyes were determined, her mouth set. Over his shoulder she could see Gabriel standing some twenty yards away. “Leave now before I have you removed.”

Jackson pulled a large handkerchief out of his blazer pocket and wiped his face. “Sorry I didn’t see you there, Angie. I thought you stopped dressing like a tramp.”

The cold feeling was gone, replaced with something hot and powerful. She’d been so frightened of this man for a long time, but that had been before. Before she’d found a vampire locked in her attic. Before she’d opened that Pandora’s Box and met true villains that could destroy with a look. She had faced them, and she had won.

She’d built him up so much in her mind, but really he was just weak and pathetic. A man who tried to feel stronger by making those around him weaker.

“Remove him from my sight.” she said. “He’s not worth my effort.”

Gabriel was behind him the next second. He grasped the back of his blazer and pulled him away from the group. His expression was indifferent as he proceeded to drag him towards the parking lot.

Jackson put his hand on Gabriel’s wrist, but couldn’t pry him off. “Who the hell are you, the bouncer?” Gabriel chuckled. “Is something funny to you?”

“I was just thinking that if I dropped you from high enough, I’m pretty sure you’d bounce.” He glanced at Jackson, his eyes bright red.

“Get the hell off me!”

Gabriel threw him into the side door of his car, none too gently. Jackson sat on the pavement, looking up, his eyes wide. “You will leave this place now.” Gabriel’s voice was calm, but there was a sinister edge creeping into it.

Darkness crept into the corners of Jackson’s vision. Gabriel’s form grew hazy, darkening as well. His bright red eyes burned in the blackness, above the glimmer of fangs. “Never again will you force your unwanted advances on another. Or else I will find you.”

He turned and walked away, leaving Jackson to sit in a puddle of his own urine.

Angie gave Nigel a peck on the cheek. “Thanks for the emotional support,” she told him. “and the punch.”

He grinned at her. “I was merely an ornament, to make your strength and beauty shine that much brighter.”

Angie nudged Florence’s leg with her sandal. “You can get up now, you big faker.”

Julia helped the vampire to his feet. He was still clutching his face. “Alas, I fear I have been mortally wounded.” He put a hand over his heart and looked deep into Julia’s eyes. “Only your tender affections will be able to heal me.”

Julia took his hand in her own and led him away. “I’m sure we can find a way to take your mind off the pain.”

Nigel spotted Gabriel walking back. “Alas, gentle Angie, I must go. I have left fair Cassandra alone far too long.”

“All right, get out of here.” She patted him on the back as he quickly sprinted to the pool. “Go have fun.”

Gabriel knelt down and opened the cooler under the table. Angie leaned her back on the table next to him. She set her empty cup down. “Thanks for that.”

He stood up, a clear medical bag filled with pinkish red liquid in his hand. “For what? I was only taking out the trash.” He bit off the clear plastic cap and sucked on the tube like a straw.

Angie’s eyes filled with a warmth she’d never directed at him before. He shifted his gaze to the gazebo. She smiled softly, then leaned up and kissed his cheek. “Just, thank you.”

“You’re not going to get me to do more chores by being nice to me.” he told her.

“Oh no, I wouldn’t dream of it.” she chortled.

Donovan watched the pair from across the pool, bottle in hand. He wasn’t revelling like the other guests, content to watch Nymph play in the water. If he didn’t keep one eye on Nigel and Florence, they would cause him no end of troubles.

Callie approached him with a smile. “I don’t know you, but I know what you’re thinking.”

“Do you now? That would be a good trick.”

“It’s not a trick when it’s written so plainly on your face. You’re thinking: how can two people be so willfully blind to what is standing right in front of them?”

Donovan gave her a canny look. “Are you some sort of wizard of the obvious then?”

“You can say that.” she smirked. “I can answer your question, too.”

He inclined his head. “I await it with bated breath.”

“It’s really very simple. Angie is just a bit thick, while Gabriel is a masochist.”

Donovan’s grin exposed his fangs. “He is, isn’t he?”

Callie cupped her hands around her mouth. “Angie! It’s your turn!”

Angie looked over at her, then hurried up into the gazebo. Kieran handed her the microphone. “Where is the human alcohol?” he asked with a smile.

She pointed at the table on the opposite side and went to the karaoke machine. Whatever embarrassing song Callie wanted her to sing she’d sing later. There was one she really wanted to do right now.

The next song on the playlist blinked at her and she smiled. Of course. This was Callie she was dealing with. She looked over at the blond vampire, who gave her two thumbs up.

She hit play and the music started, twinkling and light, before the beat deepened. She closed her eyes and brought the microphone to her mouth.

“Oh oh oh, there's a place... that I know...
It's not pretty there and few have ever gone...
If I show it to you now...
Will it make you run away?

Or will you stay...
Even if it hurts...
Even if I try to push you out
Will you return?
And remind me who I really am
Please remind me who I really am”

She felt her pulse quicken, her cheeks heating up. She ignored it as the music intensified.

“Everybody's got a dark side
Do you love me?
Can you love mine?
Nobody's picture perfect
But we're worth it
You know that we're worth it
Will you love me?
Even with my dark side?”

Gabriel could feel the drum beat resonating in his chest. Evangeline held the microphone with both hands while she sang. She wasn’t singing perfect, she never did, but he could feel her heart opening up.

“Like a diamond...
From black dust...
It's hard to know
What can become
If you give up
So don't give up on me...
Please remind me who I really am…”

Donovan appeared at Gabriel’s side. “I’ve lived such a long time, Donovan.” he said. “Such a long time in fact, that most of my memories tend to fade away.”

“It’s the curse of a long life, with a brain not big enough to hold it all.” Donovan remarked.

“Right now I’m trying to remember the last time I’ve seen someone as radiant as her, and I really can’t recall.” His voice was wistful, a rare moment of weakness. “She shines like the sun. If I get too close, she’ll utterly destroy me.”

“It would be a pleasant oblivion, wouldn’t it?”

“That’s the worst kind.”

“Do you want my opinion?” Donovan gave him a sideways glance.

“Of course not.”

“Well, you’re getting it anyway.” He rocked on his heels. “Nothing in this world truly lasts forever, but we still see the beauty in the world. A two hour movie is a two hour movie, and twenty years is twenty years, it doesn’t matter how long you live. You can still feel each second passing at the same speed as the last. Now, it hurts when the things we love leave us before we’re ready to let them go, but I think a greater pain comes from losing something you never allowed yourself to have.”

Evangeline’s song was winding down. The music growing softer.

“Don't run away...
Promise you'll stay...”

She opened her eyes and everyone clapped. Chris whistled loudly from the pool. She grinned and leaned out of the gazebo. “Who’s turn is next?” She called to Callie.

Gabriel was there before Callie could answer. “Mine.”

“I’m surprised. Do you need a drink that bad?” She put the microphone in his hands and headed down the short steps.

“Not a drop.” he told her. He tapped at the screen, ignoring the playlist. His name wasn’t on it anyway. He searched for the song he wanted and hit play.

The music started and he brought the microphone to his lips.

“Some love is just a lie of the heart
The cold remains of what began with a passionate start
And they may not want it to end
But it will it's just a question of when”

“I've lived long enough to have learned
The closer you get to the fire the more you get burned
But that won't happen to us
Because it's always been a matter of trust”

He tapped his foot, keeping the beat so he didn’t sing too fast.

“I know you're an emotional girl
It took a lot for you to not lose your faith in this world
I can't offer you proof
But you're going to face a moment of truth”

“It's hard when you're always afraid
You just recover when another belief is betrayed
So break my heart of you must
It's a matter of trust”

“You can't go the distance
With too much resistance
I know you have doubts
But for God's sake don't shut me out”

“This time you've got nothing to lose
You can take it, you can leave it
Whatever you choose
I won't hold back anything
And I'll walk away a fool or a king”

“Some love is just a lie of the mind
It's make believe until its only a matter of time
And some might have learned to adjust
But then it never was a matter of trust”

He pulled away from the microphone a little as the background music took over. He took a breath and got ready for the next bit.

“I'm sure you're aware love
We've both had our share of
Believing too long
When the whole situation was wrong”

“Some love is just a lie of the soul
A constant battle for the ultimate state of control
After you've heard lie upon lie
There can hardly be a question of why”

“Some love is just a lie of the heart
The cold remains of what began with a passionate start
But that can't happen to us
Because it's always been a matter of trust”

The music faded away and he placed the microphone it its holder. He hopped down out of the gazebo, feeling satisfied with his performance.

“Ugh, how do you keep your voice in shape like that with no practice?” Angie complained bitterly.

“Jealous?”

Her mouth pursed and she narrowed her eyes. “I might be.”

He leaned his face close to hers and smiled. He pressed one finger to the middle of her forehead and pushed lightly. “Well, tough.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Party Playlist (Not in Order):

Gabriel - A Matter of Trust
Angie - Darkside
Nigel - I Want Candy
Florence - Inside of You
Sybil - Planetary (GO!)
Julia - So What
Kieran - Renegade
Cass - Cinderella
Callie - Sweet Ones
Chris - Blow Me Away
Donovan - Werewolves of London

If you have suggestions for the other characters, please review and let me know!