‹ Prequel: Nightmare City
Sequel: Paris Redux

Hunter's Strike

Chapter 18 - Wings of Despair

Gabriel could not return to his own apartment. The thought of going back to the space that they'd shared, even for such a short time, was unbearable.

He stayed with Donovan on the ship during the day. The remaining crew were scrambling to repair the damage the hunters had caused before the sea water could destroy anymore of the ship.

All except for Florence, who mourned.

Florence had been shot in the chest, the bullet just missing his heart. At first Fiona had assumed he was dead, until she pulled the bullet out.

Nigel had been shot in the head. He hadn't survived.

He grieved openly the loss of his brother. He would drink pint after pint of alcohol, and then spend the rest of the evening weeping.

In contrast Gabriel stayed quiet and out of the way. He spoke to no one and everyone knew enough to leave him alone. Everyone except for Donovan, that is.

"You need to feed or you'll waste away." Donovan held a glass bottle down to him, who was sitting on the floor in the corner of his cabin.

"Would that be better? A slow suicide?" Gabriel asked, not looking at him. "I spent fifty years in a box without dying, so it won’t work anyway."

Donovan sat on the floor next to him. "So it's come to suicidal thoughts then?"

Gabriel held a wrinkled yellow sticky note in one hand. "No, more like a kamikaze."

"Sounds like fun. I'd come with you, but the crew can't function without me."

"Calypso said only Death waited for me."

"She's your future teller?"

"She's monitoring the building for me. She said that Evangeline's body is still there."

Donovan's eyebrows shot up. "It's been days, though. Why in Heaven's would they keep it?"

"I don't know but I can't wait any longer. I have to go and get it back. For her mother, and her step-brother." He stood up.

Donovan got up as well. "Better tell young Christopher then, he's been waiting for you to make a move."

"He's on the boat?"

"He hasn't left." Donovan told him sadly. "I'm grateful to him for helping put out the fire. I'd give him his weight in gold if I knew he'd take it. The only thing he has in his heart is revenge, poor boy. He's waiting to go with you."

"Tell him to go back to his mother. He shouldn't see what I'm about to do."

They exited the cabin to find Florence at the bottom of the stairs. He was sitting on the second to last step, waiting for them. "You're going, then?" he asked sullenly.

"You're not going with him." Donovan told him firmly. "There are too many injured crew members. I need you here."

Florence stood up, swaying on his feet. "I won't shirk my duties, Captain, but I know that Nigel would want revenge." He walked over to Gabriel. "Take his blood, and lay waste to them."

Donovan was surprised. "Nigel was your brother, lad. You're the only one that has a right to his blood." Vampire blood was strong. Through it new abilities could be gained, as well as great strength.

"It's my right, and I decide who gets it. And if Gabriel is going up against those bastards, then he can put it to better use than I can." Florence's blue eyes were pleading. "Nigel would want vengeance for dear Angie too."

"He can take mine as well." A small voice said behind them.

Nymph stood in the hallway, one hand on the wall and the other stretched out. Using their power to save the ship had cost them their eyesight. They stared ahead with blank, milky eyes.

"Nymph what are you saying?" Donovan went to them, taking their hand in his. "You should be resting. Your eyes..."

"My blindness is temporary, Donovan. In a few decades my vision will return. It is my penance for using my power before my body matured. My blood, however, is still as potent as ever." Nymph stood up straight, squaring their shoulders. "Come to me, vampire." Gabriel stepped close and Nymph put their free hand to his face. “You are ancient and powerful, but you weaken yourself by feeding on swine. My blood will give you power beyond anything you have wielded before.”

“And in return?” Gabriel asked.

“In return you will be by sword of vengeance. You will cut down the hunters that dared to harm my ship and slay my crew. You will have no mercy, and no remorse.”

“Nymph, it’s actually my ship.” Donovan interrupted. “I’M the Captain.”

Nymph ignored him. “What say you, nosferatu? Will you be my reaper?”

Gabriel closed his eyes. “Yes.” he breathed.

xxxXXXxxx

Arthur finished packing the rest of the boxes into the back of his silver Nissan Leaf, but he wasn’t yet ready to leave. The others had decided to stay, despite Harris’ treachery.

He couldn’t leave them. They were good hunters, but they were practically children. They were far too vulnerable to manipulation.

There was Green as well. He couldn’t leave without somehow communicating to her that she wasn’t to blame.

He had to try again.

xxxXXXxxx

Gabriel stared up at the Mechanex building. Darkness swirled around him like a cloak. His eyes were fully red and glowed like wildfire. His claws glinted in the moonlight.

The people on the street gave him a wide berth without realizing why. They hurried past him, like rabbits catching the scent of a wolf.

The glass doors at the front entrance opened on their own. He stepped through them without a sound. The lights in the reception area immediately went out.

Two guards sat at the front desk. They looked up at the lights in concern. Gabriel waved one hand and they both passed out.

The elevator door slid open, casting a pale light out. Gabriel paused before stepping inside. He glanced at the fire alarm pull box in between the two elevators. The glass shattered, the lever pulled down. He stepped into the elevator just as the sprinklers went off.

xxxXXXxxx

The lights went out suddenly, and the emergency lights went on. Blue looked up in confusion. “What the hell?” She pulled out her phone. Was there a fire or something?

A blaring noise sounded over the loudspeaker. It startled Red, who was sleeping on the couch in the break room. He rolled to the floor in a crouched position, looking around.

Green was walking down the hallway. She paused when the lights went out. She pulled out her flashlight and hurried down the hall.

The elevator Arthur was in stopped, the lights going out. He pulled out his phone, navigating the button panel with its dim glow. He hit the emergency button, but knew it would do little good. He pulled out his knife and pried open the door at the bottom of the panel. Inside was a lever that unlocked the doors.

He put his phone in his pocket and felt around for the seam between the doors. He dug his fingers in and pried them open. He grunted with effort, but managed to slide them halfway.

He pulled out his phone again to survey the situation. He was just below the fifteenth floor. He put his phone away again and hauled himself up.

He was greeted by silence. The whole floor seemed deserted. His instincts blared at him that this was not a normal emergency like a fire.

He headed for the stairwell. The floor the hunters used was on the twenty-seventh floor. He prayed that he made it in time.

xxxXXXxxx

The elevator doors opened on the twenty-seventh floor and Gabriel stepped out. The light behind him immediately died. The elevator was no longer functioning.

As soon as he stepped out into the hallway a gunshot shattered the silence. The bullet stopped in the air inches from his temple, then dropped to the floor.

Green stood at the end of the hall, pistol in her hands. She fired again.

Gabriel vanished before the bullet could hit. Her gun flew out of her hands. Gabriel appeared behind her. She pulled out her knife and slashed at him while she turned.

Her knife met only air, then she was pressed against the wall. He held her wrist tightly, pointing the knife away. His other hand was on her throat.

She struggled, kicking, but made no contact. Gabriel leaned his face close to hers, her eyes widened with fear. She tried to scream, but could not pull in enough air.

Gabriel pursed his lips. "Shhhhhhh...." he whispered softly.

The hand on her wrist slid down and grasped the knife handle. He pulled it free from her grasp and held it up, the sharp tip pointed at her face.

"Which eye was it?" he asked, his voice as still as a graveyard. "The left or the right? Which one was it that stared down your scope before firing?"

He was so close that she could feel his breath. It was cold as ice. "It looks like I'll just have to guess." he whispered.

There was a spray of blood and he dropped Green to the floor. He stepped over her and continued on down the hallway.

xxxXXXxxx

Red stepped out of the armory, strapping his vest on. The other floors were evacuating, but there had been no sign of fire. This didn’t sit right with him, and when in doubt, arm yourself.

He didn’t realize how cold the hallway was till he noticed his breath fogging. He drew his gun, his heart pounding against his ribcage. He wasn’t alone.

“Where is she?” a hushed voice asked in his ear.

He spun around, but no one was behind him. He looked left and right, but there was nothing.

“Where is the body?” Red could feel the whisper of breath on his neck.

He jumped, spinning around again. His gun was raised, pointing at nothing. “Where the hell are you?” he asked, trying to keep his voice steady.

“Tell me where she is.” The voice seemed to come from everywhere, but was subtle as leaves blowing.

Red looked down at his gun. His hand was moving on his own. He tried to fight it, but was paralyzed in place. Slowly his hand pressed the gun to his temple.

“The human girl you helped murder,” the voice murmured. “Where is her body being kept?”

Red was breathing hard as terror gripped his heart. Sweat beaded on his forehead and ran down his face. “The medical room.” he gasped. “J-just down the h-hallway.” He closed his eyes tightly. “Plea-”

A single shot rang out, and Red’s body fell lifelessly to the floor. Gabriel walked past it without a look and continued on down the hall.

xxxXXXxxx

Blue hurried when she heard the gunshot. She drew her own pistol and listened at the door.

In the distance she could hear a tremendous crashing sound. Metal hitting metal, glass breaking, wood splintering.

She took a deep breath and opened the door. She turned towards the source of the noise. It was coming from the medical bay. She pressed herself against the wall next to the open door and peered inside.

Inside it looked like a tornado had torn through the room. Gurneys were demolished, curtains torn from their rods. Every piece of glass was smashed. Carts were turned over. Every cabinet was open, their contents spilled out on the floor.

In the center of the chaos stood a shadowed figure. Darkness itself cloaked his body, obscuring everything but a bare outline.

He turned his head towards her, one red eye gleaming in the faint light from the emergency lamps.

Blue turned and ran back down the hallway. She pushed through the double doors leading to the office. She ran halfway down the aisle before she tripped and fell.

She turned over, gun pointed up. He was already standing over her. She fired and the bullet whizzed past his face, ruffling his hair slightly.

He brought one shoe down on her chest, squeezing the air out of her lungs. He knelt down and pulled the gun from her hands.

She clawed at his ankle, but he was immovable. She kicked wildly with her legs, but it was useless.

He turned the gun on her, pressing the nose of it into her stomach. He fired once.

He removed his foot from her chest and tossed the gun aside. Then he turned and continued down the aisle.

Arthur Statton stood in front of the double doors leading to the next area. Gabriel paused.

They stared at each other and time stretched out between them. Arthur noticed a glint of silver on Gabriel’s chest, peeking out of the darkness that surrounded him. It was a charm bracelet, hooked through the second buttonhole of his shirt.

Arthur held both hands up and stepped aside slowly. He was unarmed. He held onto the handle of a red first aid kit.

Arthur Statton’s eyes were that of an old, weary man, but they were the exact shade of brown as hers. Gabriel let him pass, then continued towards the doors.

Arthur hurried over to Blue and knelt down next to her. “If you want to find the person who knows where her body is, keep going straight.” He ripped open a packet of gauze with his teeth.

Gabriel paused again. The double doors opened on their own and he continued on.

Blue lifted up one hand weakly, breathing shallowly. “Arthur.” she gasped, tears spilling out of her eyes. “I can’t feel my legs.” She was panicking, which made her bleed more profusely.

“There is an ambulance right downstairs.” He told her as he rolled up the gauze and stuffed it into her bullet wound. “Just hang on till I can get you there.” He lifted her up into his arms and carried her away. “Stay with me, okay? Just stay with me.”

xxxXXXxxx

Black stood in the center of the aisle, waiting for Gabriel. He charged first. Gabriel slipped to the side, aiming a kick and the back of his helmet. Black was thrown through the double doors, destroying them completely.

He recovered quickly, charging again. Gabriel’s claws ripped through the front of his helmet, shattering the plastic completely. He dug his claws into Black’s chest and threw him into a row of cubicles.

Plywood walls collapsed, desks and chairs sent flying. Before Black could rise again, Gabriel was over him. He shredded the tough vinyl jacket Black wore. He plunged his claws into the monster’s chest, breaking through ribs till he reached the heart. With one swift movement he yanked it out of his chest.

He stood up, blood dripping from his hand. He tossed the organ aside and turned to the last door. It read ‘Wilton Harris’ in gold lettering.