‹ Prequel: Nightmare City
Sequel: Paris Redux

Hunter's Strike

Chapter 20 - Matter of Trust

Angie woke groggy and disoriented. She tried to sit up, but gave up right away and flopped back down. She looked around the hospital room. "Aw man, not again..." she moaned, covering her face with one hand.

"How are you feeling?" Gabriel asked, sitting beside her.

"Like I just crawled out of a swamp. What the hell happened?"

"What do you remember?"

She pulled her hand away from her eyes as they widened. She bolted upright and turned to Gabriel. "Are you all right?" she asked, her hands went to his shirt, looking for wounds.

He clasped both her wrists. "I'm fine, as you can see. Now please lay down before you pass out."

Nausea rose up from her stomach. "Ughhh." She fell back on the bed. "Anesthesia, my sworn enemy..."

“Do you remember being shot?” he asked. “Or anything after?”

“I was shot?”

“In the chest.”

She put her hands to her chest, then under her gown, feeling for a bullet wound. “I was shot? How long ago?”

“A few days ago. Then you were kidnapped by hunters.”

She looked at him in consternation. “How did I get away?”

His eyes darkened. “I brought you back.”

“Gabriel, please don’t leave me in suspense. I don’t remember any of this. Tell me what happened.”

“I thought you were dead.” he sounded like he was having trouble speaking. Angie put a hand on his arm. “I went to their headquarters to get back your corpse. They had done something to you there, tried to change you somehow. You fought me, but I managed to bring you back.”

“Is that why I can’t remember anything? Because of what they did? Was it some kind of mind control?”

“Most likely. Whatever it was that they did, you were starting to turn, but it went wrong. When we got here, one of your kidneys had already failed.” He looked to the bed next to her. “You needed a replacement or else you would die.”

Arthur Statton lay in the next bed, sound asleep. “I’m having mixed feelings about all this…” Angie admitted.

“You need to know what happened. That way I can explain to you why I’m leaving.”

Angie snapped her head back to look at him. “What?”

“I violated our agreement, Evangeline. I killed during my attempt to retrieve you. Three humans are dead now, two hunters and their leader. As well as the vampire they had experimented on.”

Tears pricked the corners of her eyes. “But…”

“I made a promise to you that I would not kill humans, and I broke it.” he said firmly, standing up. “What’s more is that you would have never been in any danger if they hadn’t been after me in the first place. I thought that I could protect you from harm, but my very presence causes it.”

Angie sat up as he walked away. “Wait.” She reached out, but the world turned and she leaned forward and retched. Once she was done coughing, she looked up and he was gone.

xxxXXXxxx

Arthur Statton woke to the sound of someone weeping softly. He groaned and sat up, putting a hand to his head.

Angie sat on the bed next to him, her head in her hands. “What’s the matter?” he asked in concern.

Her shoulders jumped and she looked at him suspiciously. “What do you care?” she asked, wiping at her eyes.

“If you’re crying, then I want to know why.”

She laughed harshly and wiped her nose. “My vampire has deserted me, which I’m sure is wonderful news to you.” She looked away.

Arthur looked around the room, surprised that Gabriel was gone. “Where did he go?”

“I don’t even know.” she said miserably. “He made a promise to me, and he broke it, so now he’s gone.”

“What was the promise?”

She glared at him. “That he wouldn’t kill humans, all right? None of this would have happened if you and the other hunters hadn’t tried to capture him, so leave me alone.”

“Our mission wasn’t to capture him.” Arthur admitted. “I didn’t know it at the time, but Harris, my boss, planned to kidnap you all along.”

“What? Why?!”

“Because I told him about your great aunt being a famous hunter, most likely.” he sighed and put his head in one hand. “The stupid fool probably thought he could turn you into an even better one.”

“Why does everything have to come back to Katrina?!” Angie demanded. “Am I going to spend the rest of my life constantly in her massive shadow?! I mean, seriously, what the hell?!” She was angry, hurt, and confused, and words were failing her. She bunched up her fists in her hair.

“It’s probably worth less than dirt, but I am sorry for what happened. I’m willing to do whatever I can to make it up to you.”

“Thank you for the kidney, but I think that’s the extent of the help you can provide me.” she said hotly.

“What about your problem with your vampire?”

She looked over at him. “I’m listening.”

“Let me just ask you; how important was his promise to you?”

“Pretty damn important.” she answered honestly. “It’s the reason I trust him so much. Trusted him, I mean.”

“Well, from my perspective, my side killed at least a dozen and a half from your side, and he only killed four. He did it out of grief, because we had taken something from him. That’s a better reason than we ever had.”

Angie drew her knees up and leaned her head on them. “Does that really make it okay, though?” she asked.

“I really don’t think either of us are qualified to answer that. Look at me.” She turned to him and he gave her a serious look. “The only question you can answer is, even knowing what he’s done, do you want him to leave?”

“No. I want him back.” she said sadly.

“As a hunter I would tell you to let him go, but I’ve given that up. Instead, as your father I will say ‘Come on, I’ll drive’.”

“I don’t even know where he went…” she said helplessly. Then her expression cleared. “No... wait, there’s only one place he can go.” She threw her blanket off. “God dammit, where are my clothes!”

There was a quick knock on the door, then it opened. Kieran stepped in, smiling at her sympathetically. “I just heard what happened and I rushed over, how are you feeling?”

“You missed everything, Kieran.” she told him. “But I’m glad you’re here. I need clothes.”

He held up a shopping bag, looking slightly confused. “Your neighbor gave this to me for you.”

Angie took the bag from him, delighted to find clothes and sneakers inside. “Callie, you’re a lifesaver.” She grabbed the curtain hanging by her bed and pulled it around so she could get dressed.

xxxXXXxxx

Vivian was just signing the discharge papers when the door opened. Arthur and Angie stepped out, fully dressed. Kieran followed, looking confused.

“Do you have my car keys, Viv? I couldn’t find them in my coat.” Arthur asked, patting his pockets.

She reached into her purse and pulled them out. “I didn’t want you going anywhere till we’ve had a good long talk, Arthur.” she said with narrowed eyes.

“I suppose I’m a bit overdue on that.” he admitted.

“Try about two decades overdue.”

He reached for his keys but she pulled them away. “Wherever you’re going: I’ll drive you.”

“Mom, Gabriel left. I need to go get him back before he does something stupid.” Angie gave her a desperate look.

She frowned. “I should have known. Well, what’s the address?”

“I don’t have an exact address, but I can give you directions.”

“Close enough. Chris, please finish filling out that paperwork for me.” she blew him a kiss. “Come on then.”

Arthur, Angie and Vivian left. Kieran watched them go. He turned to Chris. “What’s going on?” he asked.

Chris put a hand on his shoulder. “Well…”

xxxXXXxxx

They arrived at the dock at midday. The ship was still there, Angie saw with relief. Though it wasn't like they could repair it in a couple of days.

Vivian parked the car and Angie hopped out right away. She ran down to the ship. The plank was up. Angie cupped her hands around her mouth. "Donovan! Lower the plank!"

There was movement on the ship. Angie shaded her eyes so she could make it out. Donovan peered over the railing, protected from the sun by his long coat and wide hat "What a pleasure it is to see you on your feet, Angie!" he called down to her.

"Lower the plank, Donovan! I'm coming aboard!"

"It's the middle of the day, dear Angie! Could you perhaps wait until nightfall?"

"Not a chance! I know you're hiding him, Donovan! I'm not leaving without him!"

Donovan turned to the figure wrapped in a blanket, sitting in the shade. "My, she's a quick one, isn't she?" he asked cheerfully.

"Gabriel! I know you're up there! Don't make me come after you!"

"She sounds serious. I'm not sure I'd be able to stop her if she put her mind to it." He leaned back over the railing. "I'm not sure the idle threats are working, love!"

"Gabriel! I know you think that this is all your fault, but it's not! If I had never found you in Katrina's attic, I still would have gotten dragged into this whole mess!" Angie paused to take a breath. "And I would have been a lot worse off without you there!"

Her throat was starting to hurt from all the shouting. She took in another long breath. "Look! I'm not saying that what you did was right! But that is something we both have to deal with! Not just you! I know that running away from your problems is your thing! But you should stop doing that! Because it's not healthy!"

She stopped to catch her breath. Arthur handed her a bottle of water. She twisted the cap off gratefully and downed half of it in two chugs. "Okay, this is gonna get embarrassing with both my parents here." She paused for a moment. "Is a thing I never thought I'd say..."

She squared her shoulders and drew in another deep breath. "My point is that by ourselves things suck! But together we can pretty much make it through anything!" Angie doubled over. "Maybe I shouldn't have left the hospital so early." she wheezed.

"Hold on, I'll get him." Vivian said, cupping her hands around her mouth. "What my daughter is trying so delicately to say is: Stop being a dumbass!"

"Mom, please, stop helping." Angie gasped.

Vivian looked at her, then at Arthur, who shook his head. "Well someone has to say it..." She snapped her fingers. "Oh, tell him you love him. That always works in the movies."

"Mom, just shut up. This is so much more important than that." She stared up at the boat. "I don't know how to describe it. It's not like I'm going to waste away without him, but I want him to stay.” She lowered her head. “We didn’t get along at first, and sometimes we still don’t, but it’s fun. I like it even when we don’t see eye to eye.” She put her hands to her chest. “I don’t just want him to be here, I want him to be with me.”

A large black shape dropped down. It landed in front of her, kneeling. Gabriel stood up, looking at her out from under his blanket. “Evangeline, I-” She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him fiercely. “I’m sorry, I-”

“Shhh.” Evangeline shushed him, burying her face in his neck. “No talking. Only hugs.”

He lifted up the blanket and wrapped it around her shoulders, then put his arms around her. He sighed and closed his eyes. “I don’t think I deserve hugs.”

“No you don’t, but I definitely do.”

“All right then.”

Angie pulled away, but not far. She tilted her face up and kissed his cheek. He turned his face towards hers. “Evangeline.”

Her eyes grew dusky, her lids drooping. “No, don’t ruin it…” She slid one hand to the back of his neck.

He glanced behind her. “I don’t think-”

A loud cough came from behind her. Angie jumped and looked over at her parents. Her mother held her fist to her mouth, Arthur was looking away.

Angie felt her cheeks heat up. “Okay, I’m stealing your blanket.” She pulled on it, trying to hide her face.

“No. Evangeline, I need this blanket.” He held onto it firmly. She slid underneath it till she was behind him. “How about we just go home?”

“Okay.” she said meekly, her face burning.

Arthur and Vivian led the way to the car. Gabriel and Angie followed about twenty feet behind.

Angie frowned as she watched her parents talk. Her mom was doing most of the talking, Arthur just nodded every now and then.

“Did you ever wish your parents would get back together when you were little?” Gabriel asked her.

She wrinkled her nose. “Never. He’s way too old for her, anyway.”

Gabriel’s brows pressed together. He opened his mouth to say something, but decided against it.