‹ Prequel: Nightmare City
Sequel: Paris Redux

Hunter's Strike

Chapter 22 - The Longest Goodbyes

Angie decided to see Kieran off at LaGuardia Airport. “I’m going to miss your face.” He smiled at her.

She gave him a warm hug. “Hey, you came all this way for a party, next time we’ll come visit you.”

“It’s a shame I missed all the excitement.”

“Yeah well, I missed a good chunk of it, too. Apparently.”

He took her hand in his and kissed the back of it. “Please do not keep me waiting long.” Her cheeks went red. “Also a warning: your vampire seems quite possessive of you. Be careful around him.”

“I don’t think he’s being possessive, just obstinate.” Angie put a hand in her hair. Ever since it had been cut short she’d found it really easy to play with. “And why does everyone call him MY vampire? He’s his own vampire, right? That makes ME sound like the possessive one…”

Kieran laughed. He leaned his face close to hers. “Perhaps I’m just a bit jealous then?”

She put a hand on his chest in an attempt to keep him at bay. “Kieran I don’t want to put you down, but you live really far away…”

“Your gentleness is refreshing. I understand perfectly.” He kissed her mouth softly.

“It doesn’t look like you do...” she told him, giving him a pleading look. “I really want us to be friends. So please try to understand.”

“Can’t I be a friend that flirts with you shamelessly?”

“Only if you don’t mind not getting anywhere.” she laughed.

He spread his arms out. “Ah, but who knows what will happen when we see each other again? As long as your heart lies unclaimed, I will always want to try.”

“Do you want me visiting, or what?” He grinned at her. She shooed him with one hand. “Go get on your damn plane. I hear the final boarding call.”

After he was gone she frowned to herself. No one was going to claim her heart. She was the one who decided where it would go.

xxxXXXxxx

Arthur tapped on the open hospital room door. Blue was getting ready to leave. She was dressed and a nurse was helping her into her new wheelchair.

She smiled when she saw him, though it was strained. “Arthur, I’m so glad to see you.”

“Here, I’ve got her.” he said to the nurse. He steered the wheelchair out of the room and down the hall.

“I was hoping I’d get to see you again before I left.” Blue told him. “I wanted to make sure you were all right.”

“You’re sitting there and you’re still fussing over me? I think you’ve earned a break from that.” he chided.

“That’s the way I am with the people I care about. Mom used to call me a mother hen.”

Arthur sighed heavily. He wheeled her to the elevator and hit the button. “I suppose it’s true that I’ve looked out for you more than I usually would. I never bothered to get to know my daughter, and I thought I could make up for that by training you and keeping you safe.” he admitted.

The elevator dinged and the doors slid open. He wheeled her inside. “I suppose it’s the same for you, then? I remind you of your dead father?”

Blue looked away. “Actually you’re nothing like him.”

He ruffled her hair and laughed. “Then you are a mother hen.”

She was silent as Arthur wheeled her through the lobby and out the front entrance. “Your aunt is picking you up?” he asked.

“Yeah, she called me a little while ago and said she just got off the bridge. I wanted to come down and meet her right away. It’s a long drive upstate.”

“You’re definitely stay with her then? You and Marcy?”

“Yeah, but I don’t know what to do like this.” she said helplessly, gesturing at her chair. “Maybe I’ll go back to school, but to do what? I’m just going to end up being a burden.”

Arthur reached into his coat pocket. “This might help a little.” He pulled out a white envelope and handed it to her.

She opened the envelope and pulled out a check. “That’s a lot of zeroes…” she remarked. She looked at the name. “I thought us hunters didn’t have health insurance.”

“We don’t. If something happened to any of us out in the field, then that was it. But you weren’t injured out in the field. Technically we were still Mechanex employees, and they have catastrophe insurance. The attack on the building was classified as a terrorist attack. Mechanex handed out a chunk of the settlement to the employees that were traumatized during it.”

“You got one of these two?” she looked over her shoulder at him.

“Yes, though mine is not as extravagant. You have a long road ahead of you. I would recommend definitely going back to school and spending a lot of quality time with your sister.”

Tears filled her eyes. “Yeah, I’ll definitely do that.” She put the check and envelope in her bag and wiped her cheeks. “Do you remember when you saved me?” she asked.

“The first time?”

She let out a short laugh. “Yes, last December. I remember it so well, even so many months later. All the killings that were happening in the city, everyone was scared. Even though no one knew it was vampires causing it, it was just such a scary time. And then our house got hit-” she gasped, new tears falling down her cheeks. “And then you were there, you managed to save me and Marcy…”

Arthur knelt down in front of her, till they were at eye level. “It’s okay, you can let all of that go now.” he reassured her. “You’re strong, they won’t be able to get you or your sister again.”

She shook her head, putting a hand on his arm. She scrubbed her face with her other hand and looked him in the eyes. “No, I wanted to tell you… that I fell in love with you that day.”

At first he was surprised, then his expression turned sympathetic. “You have a good heart Blue, especially if it can find something to love about an old man like me. You’re going to find someone one day that really deserves it.”

She gave him an exasperated look. “Why don’t you just tell me ‘Let’s be friends’?”

He stood up and retook his place behind her wheelchair. “That’s a good line, I’ll have to remember it.”

“You’re terrible.” she sulked.

“You’re the same age as my daughter. I can’t give you any other answer than ‘no’.”

“I’ll be twenty one in a few months.” she pointed out.

“The answer will always be no. Would it make you feel better if I told you that I was already in love with someone way before I met you?”

“Oh yeah? Who?”

“Do you really think I’d tell the girl I trained in firearms the answer to that question?” A blue minivan pulled up, beeping the horn. “I believe that might be your ride.”

The back door of the minivan slid open and a little girl with dark hair rocketed out of the back seat. She ran at Blue and threw her arms around her neck. Her aunt and uncle followed at a more controlled pace.

Arthur decided it was time to go. “Take care of yourself.” he told her. “Stay out of trouble.”

“Next time you say that, look in a mirror.” she shot back.

“I do it every morning after I brush my teeth.” He said as he walked away. “Goodbye, Blue!”

She cupped her hands around her mouth. “My name is Angela!”

xxxXXXxxx

About a week later, the hull of the Saint Mary de Magdalene was finally repaired. The fire had damaged nearly half of the rooms, and interior repairs would continue for weeks and months, but the Mary could sail again.

Angie and Gabriel boarded the boat at dusk, both dressed in black. Angie wore a long dress she’d borrowed from her mother. Gabriel wore a somber suit and tie.

Donovan greeted them on the deck, clasping their hands in turn and thanking them for coming. He wore a long black coat, and no hat. His long red hair was braided neatly. At his belt was an unsheathed saber.

The gang plank was raised. Donovan jumped up to the helm and signaled to his crew to release the sails. The red sails unfurled slowly. Nymph stood at the bottom of the main mast, dressed in black slacks and frilly black shirt. They lowered their head and clasped their hands together as if in prayer.

The wind picked up suddenly, flipping Angie’s short hair into her face. She pushed it out of her eyes and watched as the wind filled the sails till they were taut. Donovan grasped the massive wheel and turned it easily. The ship began to move, picking up speed quickly.

They navigated down the Hudson River, past Staten Island and out into the open water. Angie made her way to the stern and looked over the railing. The ship was towing a large barge made of wood and scrap metal. In the center of the barge were the bodies of fallen crewmembers, wrapped head to toe in black cloth and tied tightly. All around the barge straw was packed around several black boxes.

Nymph raised their head and the wind stopped. Donovan turned the wheel over to a crewmember, who kept the ship steady.

The Captain looked over his crew as they assembled on the deck below. “No one that chooses to join this crew expects an easy life.” He didn’t shout, but his voice still carried over the whole deck. “And it’s because it is hard that we as a crew stick together.”

He placed a hand on the wheel. There were words carved all the way around it. “The motto of this ship is ‘Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero’. It means ‘Seize the day, trusting as little as possible in the future’. We know that the future is not certain and any day could be our last.”

He placed his hands on the railing. “The only thing that is certain is knowing that our brothers and sisters on this ship are there for each other. That we would gladly lay our lives down for one another.” Many of the crew nodded to each other in agreement.

“So when we lose one of our brothers or sisters, we all feel the loss. We ALL mourn together. Some people may say we have no home, no family. That we are doomed to wander forever without putting down roots. But this ship is our home, this crew is our family, and our roots are inside of each other.”

Nymph felt along the railing until they were next to Angie. They carried an unlit torch in their free hand. “As First Mate I have a duty during times like this, but this time I find myself in need of some assistance. I’m sure Donovan would help me if he could, but this is beyond him.”

“I’d be happy to help.” Angie told her. “What do you need?”

“I need help lighting this, and then with the aiming.” They handed Angie a box of matches, then held the torch up.

Angie lit the torch while Nymph held it. “Are you sure you can throw it? Maybe I should.”

“I’m afraid you lack the strength to reach the barge. Just make sure I’m pointed in the right direction.”

Angie stood behind Nymph and guided their arm carefully. “That should be spot on…” she said, double checking to be sure.

“Good, stand back.”

Angie stepped away. Nymph pulled back their arm, then let the torch fly. It sailed out over the water and landed on the edge of the barge. The straw strewn about immediately caught fire. “It didn’t hit the center, is that okay?”

“It’s perfect. We don’t want it to burn too quickly.”

Angie spied a Coast Guard ship in the distance. “We’re allowed to do this, right?”

“I’ve already filed the permits with the Mayor’s Office.” Nymph said. “The copies are in my ledger.”

“You can get a permit for a viking funeral from the Mayor?” Angie asked incredulously.

“No, but you can get permission to perform a fireworks display.”

“Fireworks?” Angie asked in confusion.

There was a loud whistle as the first box caught. Followed by a bang above them. Angie looked up at the shower of red sparks and laughed.

More bangs followed, turning the sky above the ship gold, green, and red. Angie was so close she had to retreat with her hands over her ears.

Donovan stepped up to the railing, drawing his saber. He cut the rope with one swing, separating the barge from the ship. Everyone cheered and whistled loudly.

The fireworks continued for a full thirty minutes. Angie found Gabriel in the crowd and linked her arm through his so they could watch together. “How about a new promise?” she asked.

“Tell me what it is and I’ll consider it.” he answered.

“No more leaving because you think it will be best for me.” she said. “Because it never will be.”

He looked at her out of the corner of his eye. “Why don’t you just make me promise to stay with you forever?”

“Because… that’s a good way to make you want to leave. I know Nora tried to manipulate you into staying when you didn’t want to. I know that you don’t like being tied down and I respect that. So you can leave if you want, but only if that is what’s best for you. Don’t do it for me, because that’s not what I want.”

He turned his focus back on the display on the sky. “It’s not that I mind being tied down, I just want to choose the one holding the rope.”

Angie’s eyebrow twitched. “If there’s one thing I’ve learned about you it’s that I can never tell if you’re speaking metaphorically or not.”

“That’s funny, because I too recently learned something about myself.”

“Do tell.”

He leaned towards her while keeping his eyes forward. “It’s that sometimes I can recall events from when I’ve been drinking with startling clarity.”

Angie felt her heart skip a beat. She fought to keep her expression aloof. “If you have something to say about last night, then get it over with already.”

He turned to her and brushed a lock of hair away from her face. “There is one thing…” He leaned close to her. “You could use a bit of practice.”

She put a hand on his chest, her eyes turning steely. “Excuse me?”

His expression was amused. “You’re insulted?”

“Who wouldn’t be?”

Gabriel closed his eyes and a laugh escaped him. Angie turned and walked away from him. “Wait.” he said, but laughed again. She continued walking.

“What’s going on now?” Donovan asked him sternly.

Gabriel put a hand on his shoulder. “I’ve insulted her.” he said, smiling.

“Is that amusing?”

“No, listen.” He leaned close to Donovan and explained. “She’s hopeless.” he concluded.

“I don’t think she’s the hopeless one.” Donovan remarked with sympathy. “Let’s get you back home before you shoot yourself in the foot again.”

Angie found Florence, who was in better spirits. “Thank you for joining us as we send off our dearly departed.” he told her with feeling. “Though it looks as though you are troubled by something else.”

“I was just informed that I’m a bad kisser.” she told him.

“There is no way I’m going to believe that. You’ll have to prove it.”

She put a hand to her mouth and laughed. “If you get any slicker, Florence, then I’m gonna slip and fall.”

“That would give me the opportunity to catch you.” He leaned over and whispered in her ear. “I’m sure I could help make anyone that does not appreciate you suitably jealous.”

“Thanks for the offer, I’ll remember that.” she smiled at him, then sighed. “Still, I know where I stand, right? That can’t be a bad thing.”

“Indeed. Being self aware is an admirable quality for anyone to have.”

“Good. I’m getting hungry. Is there anything to eat on this tub?”

He held his arm out to her. “Your command is my wish.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Whew! Another book done! I really can't believe we've come this far and yet there is still so much to write! I wanna start on the next book right away!

But first... is anyone interested in a prequel short story about when Gabriel and Donovan first met? Let me know and I'll post it!