‹ Prequel: Nightmare City
Sequel: Paris Redux

Hunter's Strike

Chapter 7 - My Polyamorous Friend

Nymph appeared on deck as soon as Donovan returned. “How was it?” Their eyes went to a slim, wide box tucked under the captain’s arm.

Donovan gave his first mate a little side-eye. “Why don't you tell me?”

Nymph's cheeks reddened. “I wasn't spying on you.” They lowered their eyes. “Sir.”

The captain sighed and walked over to Nymph. He cupped their face with both hands. They looked huge and rough compared to Nymph's delicate features. “Something is troubling you.” He tilted Nymph's face upward, but their eyes remained focused on the floor.

“I must confess to a spot of worry in my heart,” Nymph said. “concerning the reappearance of your former first mate.”

“You worry that he'll want to reclaim his old job?”

“Not as much as the fact that you want him to.”

Donovan felt a pang of sympathy for the creature. “I'm sorry if I've done something to make you doubt my feelings.”

Nymph looked up at Donovan, eyes widened. “No, sir! Please disregard my selfishness. It's not my place to decide whom you keep in your crew.”

“And I don’t change my First Mate on a whim.”

“Sir, I understand we’re using euphemisms here, but I’m worried it’s going to start confusing the crew considering I am actually the First Mate.”

Donovan grinned. “Gabriel was also actually my First Mate.”

“This news does not ease my worries.”

Donovan chuckled as he leaned in for a kiss. Nymph returned the smooch gratefully. “You’ve no need to worry. Gabriel might offer a distraction, but my heart no longer lies with him.”

Nymph’s cheeks reddened. “Sir, we should settle business matters before becoming distracted ourselves.”

“Quite right.” Donovan pulled away and presented the flat box to Nymph. “Please catalogue these items for me.” He reached in front to undo the clasp on the box, but Nymph put a hand over his.

Nymph was looking all around, alert, listening for something. “What’s the matter?” Donovan asked.

“We are not unobserved.” Nymph’s voice was tight. Their spine stiffened and they turned to the right, looking out over the dock.

Donovan turned his head as well. In the distance was a multitude of large steel storage containers. Atop one of the furthest ones was a shadow that did not belong. Donovan started walking towards it, his expression grim.

Nymph put a hand on his arm. “Leave them. By the time you reach that container, they will be gone. It’s better to get the cargo secured before dawn.”

Donovan was reluctant to let a quarry escape. He knew in his bones that he’d have another chance at them though. And the next time he wouldn’t be so lenient.

Nymph opened their ledger at the bookmark. There was a long list of trades that were scheduled during their extended stay. Nymph put a neat check mark next to a listing that read ‘Better Care Medical Group’.

xxxXXXxxx

Angie knew that Gabriel was awake when she heard the shower running. Sybil looked over at the bedroom doors. “You have a roommate?”

“Yeah. Callie didn’t tell you?”

“She might have. I don’t listen to everything she says.”

It was getting close to sunset. Sybil had stayed in the apartment all day and had eaten most of the food. Together they’d put a sizeable dent in Angie’s Netflix queue. Angie had napped a little as well, still not completely used to being awake all day.

Sybil was good company, and Angie enjoyed having someone around that liked her shows. She wondered if the girl was missing school to be here.

After his shower Gabriel made his way into the kitchen. He hadn’t bothered getting dressed, deciding that a towel wrapped around his waist was sufficient coverage.

Sybil’s eyes followed him silently. She looked over at Angie and mouthed the word ‘Nice’ and gave her two thumbs up.

Angie made a ‘nix’ motion with her hand, mouthing the word ‘No’.

Gabriel bent down to get a bottle out of the drawer compartment in the fridge and Sybil sat up straighter, trying to see over the counter.

It was after he finished the bottle that he decided to interact. “How is your job search going?” He put a second bottle in the microwave and pushed some buttons.

Angie looked over at the laptop on the coffee table. “Honestly, I forgot all about it. My cold is gone at least.”

Gabriel walked into the living room, bottle in hand. He put a hand under Angie’s chin. “Let me see.”

Angie opened her mouth and stuck out her tongue. “Ehhhhhh.”

“Wider.”

Angie opened her mouth more, showing him the back of her throat. “Ahhhhhh.”

“Much better.” He let her go and downed the second bottle in two gulps. “I’ll get dressed and then we can go.”

“Go where?” Angie called after him. He didn’t answer.

Just as his bedroom door closed behind him, the front door opened. Callie breezed in, smiling broadly.

"Sorry about that, I was out getting stuff for the party." She cheerfully placed a dozen grocery bags on the countertop.

Angie got to her feet and walked into the kitchen, changing gears. "I'm almost afraid to ask, but what party?"

Callie smiled. "Your welcoming party, of course. When you get a new place you have to break it in with a party."

"Did you have a party when you moved in?" Angie asked skeptically. "I think you would have invited me if you had."

"Don't be silly. I postponed my party because I knew I'd be throwing one for you." She stared into space for a moment. "My time estimate was off by three months though..."

"The house burned down last month," Angie pointed out. “And you moved out the month before that.”

"Yeah I know."

Angie sighed and started helping her unpack the groceries. "How many people are you inviting? We can't fit too many in that tiny living room."

"Oh no sweetie, it's not going to be up here. I'm just keeping the groceries in your fridge. The party will be held outside by the pool."

"We have a pool?" This conversation suddenly became one hundred times more interesting. It was late August and summer was winding down, but a heat wave was scheduled to hit later in the week.

"Yes we do, right behind the building."

"Why was I not informed? Were you hiding this information from me?"

"I was hiding nothing. It just came up now."

“Callie, if you had told me we had a pool in the beginning, you wouldn’t have had to bother showing us the apartment. Even Gabriel would have gone for it right away. He loves water.”

Callie paused a moment. “Yeah, what is his fascination with showers?”

Angie shrugged while inspecting the two cans of cake frosting in her hands. “I don’t see it as anything strange or excessive, but then I’m a sweaty human.” She placed the cans on the counter and rooted through another bag. “What kind of cake mix did you buy?”

Callie looked at her in confusion. “Why would I buy cake mix?”

Angie pointed at the frosting, but gave up. “I don’t even know.” She decided to move on. “So, who’s on the guest list?”

“Everyone we know.”

Angie laughed. “No, really.”

“I’m being serious.” Callie gathered up the empty bags and put them in the trash.

“You mean people that Gabriel and I both know? Because not everyone on that list likes us. Or can conveniently fly to America for a pool party.”

“I might have posted the invitation on your Facebook profile as well.”

Angie’s eyes widened and her face flushed. Her hand went to her phone. “You did not! Callie, there are certain people I just don’t want to see face-to-face.”

“Don’t worry, no one bad is going to show up. Trust me. I know these things.”

Angie looked over at Sybil, who was standing next to the kitchen counter. She had a can of frosting in her hands, open with one finger stirring the contents. She brought a glob of chocolate frosting to her mouth and shrugged at Angie.

Another thought occurred to Angie. Callie was at the door by this time and she followed her. “Wait, did you invite my Mom? Do NOT invite my mother to this party. Callie!”

Gabriel exited his room still buttoning his shirt. He swore under his breath and headed after the pair. He paused in the kitchen and looked over at Sybil questioningly.

She raised a hand and wiggled her fingers. “Hi, I’m Sybil.” She smiled at him.

“Gabriel, it’s a pleasure.” He spoke absently as he left.

She leaned forward, watching him exit the apartment. “Oh no, the pleasure is all mine.” She put another chocolate frosting clad finger into her mouth.

xxxXXXxxx

Blue hurriedly started the car. “We were definitely spotted.” she called out the open window at Arthur.

He hurriedly threw their gear into the back seat and climbed in next to her. “Just drive. Quickly!”

She slammed her foot on the gas and pealed out of the parking lot. They’d only gone about a hundred feet when the car stopped suddenly, the engine died. Blue banged on the steering wheel, swearing loudly.

Arthur drew his gun and stepped out of the car, looking behind it.

Blue looked over her shoulder and spotted the pair. It was the twins. “God dammit.” she muttered under her breath. She retrieved her shotgun and exited the car as well.

The twins were part of Donovan’s crew. There was Nigel, the dark one with the blond hair, and Florence, the light one with the black hair. Supposedly they were brothers, but no one had been alive long enough to find out for sure.

“Well well, lookee here Florence. Seems like these folks are having automobile troubles.” Nigel grinned, showing his fangs. He was the lead of the pair. The one who spoke first.

Florence grinned as well. “I reckon we should lend these good folk a hand, Nigel. What do you think?”

“Why I do think that would be rather gentlemanly of us.”

“Indeed it would, dear brother.”

“You know what, though? I’m not feeling gentlemanly right now.”

“Yeah, neither am I.”

Arthur kept his gun trained on the pair. “We’re not looking for trouble.”

Nigel turned his gaze to Arthur, his expression going cold. “You were certainly looking for something through your scopes. And if you’re spying on our ship, trouble’s all you’ll find.”

“Well, I tried.” Arthur muttered under his breath. He opened fire.

The two sprang apart, heading in different directions. Nigel headed straight for Arthur while Florence went around the car towards Blue.

She fired her shotgun, but only hit the end of Florence’s long coat. Then he was behind her.

She spun around, swinging the shotgun like a club. He caught the handle and tried to wrench it out of her hands.

While they struggled a shot rang out in the distance. A silver bullet pierced Florence’s shoulder. The vampire hissed and stepped back. A second bullet hit his leg. Blue took her chance and pressed the shotgun into his chest before firing.

Florence fell, coughing up blood. The car roared back to life, lights flashing on and engine running. Blue took another chance and scrambled into the driver’s seat.

Nigel jumped over the hood of the car, catching his brother before he could hit the ground. He sprang away, carrying Florence as more bullets whizzed past him.

Arthur got into the passenger’s seat, a hand clamped over his upper arm, which was bleeding profusely. “Remind me to send Green a fruit basket. Now drive.”

Blue peeled away, in the opposite direction the brothers took. She grabbed a radio receiver from the dash and clicked it on. “Green, we’re clear. Pull out and head back to base.”

There was a long staticy silence then a quick “Roger.” Blue put the receiver back and drove onto the main road leading away from the docks.

She looked over at Arthur, who was grimacing in pain. “How bad did he get you?”

“I’ll live if you drive fast enough.”

She pressed her foot down harder on the gas pedal. “I’ll take that as a promise.”

“Take it however you like, as long as you drive.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know it's a short chapter, but I'm trying to get to the good parts! Please leave a review. ^_^