Clive & Layla

Layla

I put the finishing touch onto my face, I never looked as pretty as I wished, but this would have to do. I had been laid-off this week and I hadn't gotten enough sleep since I had been trying to come up with what I should do, the bags under my eyes were very noticable. I put on my dress that was too small. I was going to a formal party that Clive had made me go to. I absolutely hate parties, no one ever talks to me. I took a glance at the clock, it was 8 pm, Clive should be here soon.
Clive and I met at a cafe on our college campus five or so years ago. He was so sweet to me, he still is, he makes sure we go out once a week. Clive is almost perfect except he has a frightening temper. If he detecs the slightest bit of anger towards him he will explode. Besides that he is one of the best guys I have ever met.
I slid on some high-heals and walked out of my house. I felt nervous, I knew I would eventually have to tell Clive I had been laid-off and that I'd be spending more time trying to find a new job. He won't take it easily, maybe he'll try to be supportive. My stomach had gotten upset, maybe I'm getting sick. I felt my forehead hoping that I had a temperature. No such luck, I was perfectly okay, I have no reason not to make it to the party. Clive's car pulled into my driveway. I walked to the passenger seat and sat down. " Hello sweetie" I said sounding cheery and gave him a kiss on his stubbly cheek.
He pulled out of my driveway and off we went to another damn party. The radio was playing silently, I felt a bit better. I didn't want to get to comfortable, so I decided to tell Clive about being laid-off. "Clive," I paused, I couldn't tell him now, " do you know where the party is?"
" Of course! What kind of boyfriend would I be if I didn't know where we were going?" he said defensively.
" Okay, can you tell me where we're going?" I said feeling angry at myself for being so stupid.
" We're going to Tom and Andrea's place, remember?" he replied sounding like I had punched him in the stomach.
I nodded and looked out of the window. Great, now he's going to get all worked up and he'll be a baby about it all night.
" Layla, do you still love me?" he asked desperately.
I sighed getting angry, I really shouldn't be going to this party. "Clive you know I do, please don't get worked up again sweetie." I said trying to sound reassuring. Tonight was going to be a nightmare. I wont be able to enjoy myself. Clive was now going way over the spead limit. I looked into the review mirorr making sure there were no cops, that is the last thing Clive would need to have happen to him.
It was 9 pm and we had gotten to Tom and Andrea's place. He stepped out of the car and walked up to my door and opened it. "Thank you" I said. He took my hand and we walked into the party.