Clive & Layla

Tom

Andrea and I waited for the first guest to arrive in the living room. It was quarter past 8, I guess everyone felt like being "fashionably late" as Andrea would say. "Tom, do you think we have enough party favors?" she asked clearly looking for something to do.
" Actually, I think we have too much! You don't need to worry about a think, we are all set" I reassured her. She smiled and took a sip of the champagne she had been holding. We were both a bit nervous, it was the first party in our new house and we weren't sure of the outcome quite yet, obviously.
Andrea got up and went into the kitchen to turn on the boom box. "What's a party without music?" she smirked. I nodded at her
" Of course, how could we forget?" I said. She sat back down next to me.
" Where could they possible be?" she asked exasperated.
I shrugged, " I just figured they were 'fashionably late'" I replied.
The room went silent except for the song in the background. I stared at the clock. Tick....Tick....Tick. The wait at this point had become unbearable. It had only been a little after the party was supposed to begin and it felt like and hour. I got the feeling no one would come, Andrea and I had been stood-up at our own party. No, they are late, I reassured myself. The door bell rang, we both gave each other a relieved smile. I got up to answer the door.
"Drew!" I shouted, " How have you been? You're the first one here."
" Yeah, sorry I'm late. My mom wouldn't stop bugging me about what I was wearing, ' You wont find any girls wearing that, Andrew!'" he said imitating his mom. I laughed.
Drew and I had been friends since middle school, he didn't go to college and lives with his mom and shows no signs of wanting to get out either. He's a cool guy if you take the time to get to know him. Other than that he looks a bit bumish.
He walked into our living room. "Why aren't you looking lovely, Andrea!" he said holding his arms out expecting a hug.
" Thank you Drew, and I can see you're still wearing that t-shirt I saw you in last week." Andrea replied obviously not going to give Drew a hug.
" Yes I am! Glad you noticed." He said not taking the least bit of offense that he had been denied of a hug. He took a seat in one of our chairs. " So when are you two expecting the others, or are we gonna have a three some?"
" Sorry Drew, not tonight," I said laughing, " Everyone was supposed to be here a couple of minutes ago, but Clive said he and Layla would be a little late since he had plans. "
" Oh, so where's the beer, buddy? I haven't had a Bud all day thinking I'd be getting drunk tonight." Drew said getting up.
" Yeah, they're in the fridge, Tom made sure you got you're own six-pack" Andrea said with her sarcastic "cheery" tone.
" Awesome," Drew headed to the kitchen.
Once again the door bell rang. "And so begins the party" I said getting to the door.