Status: I will update periodically.

These Things I've Done

Chapter 1.

I pulled up to the front of the hospital. Day one.

I was a little early, so I sat in my car, waiting for the day to start.

It was cold outside; a crisp Autumn morning. My dark green peacoat and new Burberry scarf hugged me tightly, managing to keep me warm while I waited. They were both presents from my mother and father. They were very proud of what I was doing. They always knew I loved helping people, so why not get a job that entailed that. The presents were generous.

Growing up, we never had a lot of money to spend on things such as designer jackets or scarves. If it wasn't for my full scholarship to school, chances are I never would of been able to go. I guess I always just loved learning. I was a good student, and learning just came naturally to me.

I squeezed my briefcase tightly as I looked at the clock. 7:00am.

I suppose it was natural to be nervous about your first day at your new job, but I guess today was different. It was my first day at my career. This is what I had been studying all these years to do, and now I was finally doing it. No teachers, no grade books, this was the real thing. These were real people I would be helping. This wasn't for grades anymore. These were real people with real problems.

I bit down hard on my lip as I walked through the front door.

The building was cold, and very bright. It was wall to wall florescent lighting. It took a minute for my eyes to adjust. I slowly made my way to the front counter.

"How many I help you?" She asked. She was a middle aged woman; long, dark, red hair. She had beady little eyes and a mouse like nose, and was violently popping her gum. It took me a minute to find the words.

"H-hi.." I managed to say "Um.. my name's Taylor. I'm.. here interning for Dr. Roberts." She gave me a surprising smile, now looking down at her clipboard.
"Oh, yes." She said. "He's expecting you. Go right in. It's down the hall, the last door on your left." I smiled at her.
"Thank you." I said, picking up my briefcase again, making my way down the hallway.

The building seemed to get colder the longer I was in there. I would be sure to dress heavy. His door was open. I walked in. My loud shoes gave me away. He popped his head up, now smiling at me.

He had dark brown eyes, but a warming smile, and quite the head of hair for someone his age. It had that salt and pepper look. I always thought that looked nice on most men.

"Well, good morning, Taylor." He said cheerfully. The happiness of the employees here was ironic. I never really took an mental hospital as a cheerful place.
"Good morning" I said, trying to match his enthusiasm.
"So, are you excited for your first day?" He asked. I nodded.
"Excited, nervous.." I sighed. He giggled.
"All understandable." He said, getting up from his desk. He was taller than I expected. He then lead me to another room.

"This is the peer conference room." He said. The room was somewhat warmer than the rest of the building. It was more welcoming.
"This is where the patients come for their peer conference part of their program. You will have 5 to 7 patients in here ever 2 hours. It's like, a group discussion. They have the chance to talk to you, and to each other about things going on." I nodded, showing my understanding. I had learned a lot about these in school. He turned to me.

"I think you're going to do good here, Taylor." He said. I smiled, feeling my cheeks getting red.
"Thank you." I said. He smiled.
"Just.. remember. You're.. you're not here to make friends. You're not their friend, you're only here to help them. It's.. all professional. Yes, do your best to help them but.. there's only so much you can do if someone doesn't want to be helped, okay?" I bit my lip, nodding.
"I understand.." I said. He nodded.
"I just don't want you to take anything personally. I know you're very good at what you do. I've seen your records. This is just.. a tricky business. No matter who you are, there's only so much you can do."
"I.. I get it." I said, nodding agreeingly. He gave me another warm smile.
"Well, good luck on your first day. You know where my office is if you need anything."
"Thank you." I said. He then made his way back to his office.

I was alone. But not for long.