Status: I will update periodically.

These Things I've Done

Chapter 10.

The night out with the rest of the doctors was just as I imagined it. Everyone talked up David, showering him with compliments, and he tried every trick in the book to try to impress me. Me of all people, I have no idea. Besides, I was far too young for him. He had to be in his fifties, at least.

I pulled back into my driveway, quickly getting out, and going into the house.

My house was quiet. Mainly because it was empty. And it got lonely. I made my way upstairs, to my bedroom, and into my pajamas. Climbing into bed, I thought about what Kellin had said. About me living with my husband. My chest started to ache. He said he just assumed. Did I just look like a married woman? I sighed, rolling over, grabbing one of my pillows, and held it close to me. It wouldn't be so bad to be married. To have someone to wake up to, to come home to, to just have someone. But instead, I had my career. I had my patients. I had Kellin.

My heart seemed to beat faster at the thought of him. I quickly shook the thought from my mind. He was my patient. Just my patient. That was all. But I still couldn't bring myself to stop thinking about him. About how he chewed on his sleeves when he was nervous. About how much he enjoyed the outdoors, as oppose to the stuffy atmosphere of the hospital. I couldn't say I really disagreed with him on that one. And about his smile. As rare as it was, he could light up a room with that smile. It was so genuine. So sweet. I sighed, rolling back over.

Was it weird to be thinking about one of my patients like this? I knew all he saw me was someone in authority. I was just someone to help him get better. He just saw me as someone to tell him what to do. But, he wanted to be my friend. He did agree to it, didn't he?

I couldn't help but lay awake that night, just dreaming, about Kellin.

Kellin's P.O.V
I couldn't sleep again tonight. I sat up in my bed. My room was cold. The painted white brick walls didn't do a very good job at keeping the heat in. I sighed, rubbing my bare arms, pulling my knees close to my chest. I could hear crickets outside my window. They were loud, but all in harmony with one another. It sounded pretty. Pretty.

Suddenly Taylor came to mind. I wondered what she was doing. She was probably sleeping. She'd have to be back here at 7am tomorrow. I got excited at the thought. I'd get to see her again. Talk to her. Have lunch with her. I caught myself smiling. My cheeks burned at the thought.

I was just her patient. Nothing more. She only saw me as someone to help. Someone with a problem that needed fixing. She was perfection, I was everything but. I thought about her smile. Her smile was so perfect, so contagious. But I couldn't let her know that. I couldn't let her know I thought about her this way. That would probably weird her out. I didn't want to make anything awkward between us. After all, all I am is her patient.

But I thought, what if I wasn't. What if I was normal. What if I didn't have to be in here. Then, maybe.. maybe would she think of me the way I thought of her? I sighed, laying back down, pulling the covers over my head.

That was a stupid. Of course she wouldn't be interested in me. Why on earth would she be interested in me. I'm nothing special. And she deserved the world.

I hid my head under the covers, pressing my face into the pillow, trying to forget my ridiculous thoughts of Taylor.

But she was all I dreamt about that night.