Status: I will update periodically.

These Things I've Done

Chapter 28.

I sighed. He was gorgeous. Why on earth would someone like him want to work in a place like this? I shook the thought from my mind. Then, there was an announcement over the loud speaker.

"A friendly reminder that tomorrow is the dance! Grab your dates while you still can!"

I sighed, sulking into my chair. I had completely forgot about the dance, and how Kellin had asked me to go as his date. Great. How was I going to swing this without catching the suspicion once again of Dr. Roberts.

I decided I would figure everything out later.

I fished up my weekly paper work, and the next time I looked over at the clock, it was time for lunch. I forced myself from my chair, and headed down the hallway.

"Taylor.." I heard from behind me. I turned around, only to be face to face once again with Justin. I smiled.
"Hey.." I said. He smiled back.
"Hey, um, I was wondering.. well, I'm new here.. and.. I don't really have anyone to sit with.." I smiled. I knew what it felt like to be new.
"You can sit with me.. if you want." I said. He nodded.
"Thanks" He said, walking with me now. He slowly moved closer as we both made our way down the hall.

"So, how is this place?" He asked. The only positive thing I could think of was Kellin. But of course, I wasn't going to get into that with him.
"It's nice." I lied. "Everyone's great. I'm sure you'll be just fine." I looked up at him, flashing him a fake, but an attempt at a welcoming smile. He responded positively, nodding, as he looked down at his feet.

We got to the cafeteria, and everyone was in their usual spots. I scanned the room. No sight of Kellin. I sighed, trying to keep my disappointment unnoticed.
"We.. could eat outside if you'd like." I said.
"Oh, that'd be nice." He said.

We then made our way out to the same picnic table where Kellin and I had sat. I slid onto the bench. He sat did the same, sitting across from me.

"So, when did you start?" He asked, now staring to dig in to his lunch. I shrugged, staring to eat as well.
"A little over a month ago." I said. He nodded.
"What about you?" I asked "Have you worked anywhere else before?" He shook his head.
"No, this is my first real job in this area. I'm right out of college." I smiled.
"Me too." I said.
"Yeah, it's not easy finding work these days. This position was all luck. One of my professors recommended me. I owe her." He giggled to himself.

His nose scrunched up when he laughed, and he had dimples. I couldn't help but smile.

Soon, I heard the sliding doors open. I quickly turned my head to be faced with the usual dark mop of hair, hesitating, but making his way over to the picnic table.