Status: I will update periodically.

These Things I've Done

Chapter 3.

Another girl raised her hand.

"And what's your name?" I asked. She bit her lip.
"Sarah." She said quietly. Suddenly, the same boy spoke up from before.

"You don't have to pretend like you care." He said. "We don't even have to do this. This is stupid." I looked over at him.
"And you.." I said. I looked down at the lists the doctor had left me.
"You must be Tony." I said. His cheeks got red. He grit his teeth.
"Yes." He said. He crossed his arms again, slouching back into his seat.
"You don't have to act like you care." He said again. "It's obvious you don't."
"Well, if I didn't care, then why would I be here?" I asked. He shrugged.
"It's a paycheck, isn't it?" He snapped. "I'm sure they're paying you pretty good here." I bit my lip. Is that what they thought? I looked around. They all had scared looks in their eyes. Especially Kellin. He stayed sitting in his chair, his legs now pulled up to his chest, still biting on the sleeve of his sweater. I sighed, looking back at Tony.

"Why are you here, Tony?" I asked. He glared at me for a minute, then got up, and stormed out of the room. Was I supposed to go after him?
"Just leave him.." I heard. It was Eric. One of the first boys who spoke before. He had short blonde hair. His eyes were small, and he had perfect teeth, but you could barely tell. He rarely smiled, or even opened his mouth.

"Well.." I said "This really isn't much of an exercise if.. no one wants to contribute." They all looked around nervously, aware of the fact that someone would most likely be picked to talk at random. They all tried their best at avoiding eye contact with me. I sighed.

"No one has to talk if they don't want to.. but if you don't, then not much progress can really be made.. and the less progress you make.. the longer you'll have to be in here." I saw a few of their eyes light up. Did I have any takers? Still, no one said a word.

"Well, then I guess I can let you go, if you don't want to talk." Everyone looked around, seeing who would be the first one up. Then, one by one, they all got up, leaving the tight circle, and walking out. I hadn't really expected my first day on the job to go this way. I sighed to myself, collecting my things, and getting up. Until I saw someone still sitting in the circle.

It was Kellin.