Status: I will update periodically.

These Things I've Done

Chapter 35.

In love with me? He was in love with me?

My heart was racing. I bit down hard on my lip, and looked down at the ground. My cheeks were burning, my hands were sweating, my body went cold. I heard him sigh.

"P-please say something.." He said quietly. "B-before I throw up." I giggled, looking up at him. He stared back at me, giving me a hopeful smile. I could tell he was blushing, even with how dark it was. His eyes were wide and hopeful. I sighed.

"What.. what does it feel like?" I asked. He was quiet for a minute.
"W-what does what feel like?" He said. I gently took his hand.
"What I mean is.. W-what does it feel like.. to be in love." He looked down.
"Well, weren't you almost married before?" He asked. I sighed, looking away.
"That.. that didn't feel like this." I said. He laced his fingers in mine.
"Well... how do you feel?" He asked. His tone had changed. He was curious. I looked back at him.

"I just.." I bit my lip, staring into his eyes. I managed to get lost in them for a moment, but quickly found my way back.
"I just.. with you.. I.. I feel.. safe. Like, no matter what.. you'd never judge me. You.. you're always honest with me. You.. You're sweet, and funny, and caring. And.. people don't give you nearly enough credit as you deserve. And.. it's just.. when I'm with you. I.. I get.. excited, and I feel.. nervous all at the same time. I'll count down the minutes until I might get to see you again.. and when I don't, it just feels like a wasted day." I stopped myself, wondering if he just thought I was rambling at this point. He was smiling at me. I sighed, and went on.

"And.. you're beautiful." I said. "I.. I get lost in your eyes whenever you look at me. And.. I love when you smile. I love even more when I'm the reason you smile. I.. think you should smile more often. It looks good on you. And.. I've never slept better than the night that you stayed over. When I fell asleep lying in your arms.. I.. I felt at home. It felt right.. everything feels.. right with you."

He smiled, but was quiet. He looked out at the skyline again, letting it all sink in. He nodded.
"Say something.." I said. He giggled, looking back at me.
"That sounds a lot like love to me." He said quietly, gently pulling me closer. I couldn't help but smile.

"Then.. then I.. I'm in love with you too."