Status: I will update periodically.

These Things I've Done

Chapter 48.

"I came all the way out here for you.." I said "I have no intentions of leaving."

He smiled, wiping his eyes. I leaned my forehead against his, gently pulling him closer. Soon, there was a knock at the door. It wasn't long before it opened.

"Kellin?" They said. It was his youngest sister.
"Hey Cally.." He said. She looked over at me, her face confused. I felt my cheeks get red.
"What's up?" Kellin said, breaking the silence. She turned back to Kellin.
"Mom said dinner is ready. We're eating out back." She said.
"Okay, we'll be right out, Call." He said. She gave me another glare before shutting the door behind her. I sighed.
"I don't think she likes you very much." He giggled.
"I don't think so either.." I said. He gently kissed my forehead, and rolled off the bed.
"She'll be okay." He said, holding out his hand for me. I took it, helping myself up. He pulled me close, quickly kissing my lips.

"Just.. thanks again.. for coming." I sighed, smiling up at him. He took my hand, and lead me out to the back porch where I sat a table set up for dinner.

His backyard was beautiful. The sunset cast a golden glow across the large field. His yard was huge, secluded by the outlining large trees. It was quiet and peaceful, and I wondered why anyone would ever want to leave this place.

I sat down at the place next to Kellin. He gently pulled my chair closer to him when no one was paying attention. My cheeks burned. I smiled at his subtle gesture.

The dinner conversation was mostly between his mother and his sisters. He sat back quietly eating. I did the same. They discussed the schedules for their dance lessons, and piano lessons and everything in between. Kellin never said a word. I turned to his mother.

"This is very good.." I said "I haven't had barbecue in a long time." She smiled at me.
"Well, I'm glad you enjoy it dear, thank you." She said sweetly. I calmed down a little, with her reassuring comment that I wasn't completely hated. Excluding the fact that his little sister had been glaring at me from across the table all evening.

When everyone finished, they simply got up, leaving all the dishes and silverware where they sat. I looked around confused, and then back at Kellin, who was still eating. He picked up his head, wiping his face.
"Is something wrong?" He said, his eyes wide. I bit my lip, looking at all the plates.
"N-no.." I said. He sighed, giving me a subtle smile.
"It's my job to clean up after." He said.
"Just you?" I asked. He shrugged, and nodded at me. I sighed, and began cleaning the plates from the table. He smiled up at me.
"You're a guest.. you don't have t-"
"I'm helping you." I said, carrying a few plates into the kitchen. I saw him smile, and continued to eat as I walked inside.

When I came back, he was clearing off the rest of the table. I stood in the doorway waiting for him. He looked up at me, his cheeks red, biting his lip. I took a few plates from his grip, and he followed me inside.

"Kellin!" His mom called from the other room. He sighed, gently placing the plates in the sink.
"Yeah, mom?" He said.
"I need you to do the dishes." He agreed without hesitation, rolling up his sleeves and turning on the water. I rolled up my sleeves and grabbed a towel. He looked at me confused.

"I'll dry.." I said. He sighed, smiling at me. He leaned over, gently kissing my cheek. I felt my face burn.

He quietly scrubbed the dishes, tossing the leftover food from his sisters and mother, and handed me the plate to dry. We were done much sooner than if I had let him do it alone.

When we were finished, he rolled down his sleeves, and leaned against the counter, staring at me, smiling. I stared back, biting my lip, feeling my cheeks get red.
".. Do you want to see something?" He said. I nodded. He gently took my hand and led me outside, back out to the beautiful glowing sunset.