Status: I will update periodically.

These Things I've Done

Chapter 6.

I bit my lip, and searched the room for Dr. Roberts. I found him sitting at a table with the rest of the doctors. I sighed, grabbing my things and went over. He saw me.
"Taylor, how is your first day? Is everything alright?" He asked. I smiled, nodding.
"Yes, I.. um, I just had a question." He wiped his mouth, excusing himself from the table.
"And what's that?" He asked. He crossed his arms, and looked down at me.
"Well, I.. I was wondering if.. if patients are allowed to go outside."

He smiled at me.
"Well, they are. They just have to have someone who will bring them outside. And.. no one really wants to risk anything happening by bringing them outside." I bit my lip.
"So.. I'd be allowed to?" I asked. He sighed.
"If you're willing to accept that responsibility." He said.
"Thank you." I sighed. I looked over at Kellin. He was still staring outside.

I went over to his table and sat across from him. His eyes widened as he looked over at me. He bit his lip.
"Hi.." I said. I was sure to sound cheerful. His cheeks turned red, as he finished the food that was in his mouth.
"Hi.." He said quietly.
"So.. do you want to finish eating outside?" I asked. He stared at me.
"Outside?" He said. I nodded, smiling at him. He licked his lips, and looked back out the window.
"Well.." I said. "I just.. I see you staring out the window a lot. I thought you'd.. you'd like to."
"Okay.." He said. He started tugging on his sleeves again. I got up, grabbing my things. He followed closely.

We were hit with the cold air when we walked out the automatic doors. I looked back. He was smiling, as he looked around at the brown and yellow leaves falling from the trees. He covered his hands with his sleeves and hid hid neck in the collar of his sweater. I giggled.
"Too cold for you?" I asked. He smiled, shaking his head.
"No.. I'm okay." He said. He kept that small smile.

I brought us over to the small picnic table under the largest tree behind the building. He slid onto the bench, and hid his cheeks behind his sleeves. I sat across from him. He was quite for a minute.

"So.. tell me about yourself." I said. He smirked at me.
"Are you like this with everyone?" He asked. I felt my cheeks burn.
"No.." I said. He sighed, now leaning his face on one of his hands, staring back at me.
"So, why me?" He said. I bit my lip. Why him? Even I couldn't answer that question.
"Well.. why did you stay in the circle when everyone left?" I asked. He smiled, looking down, and shrugged.
"I don't know.." He said quietly. "Why did you bring me outside?"
"You looked like you wanted to.." He nodded.
"I did.." He said "No one has ever brought me out here before." He started looking around at the falling leaves again. All different shades of yellow and brown.
"And why's that?" I asked. He looks back at me, his bright blue eyes meeting mine.
"They seem to think we're all too much responsibility." He said. "Which.. is true. For some people. But not everyone." He giggled to himself. "I don't know what they think we're gonna do. We're not animals. We're not gonna run off and bite small children.." I smiled.
"Cause then they would have to put you down." He giggled, moving his sleeve away from his mouth. He nodded.
"Exactly." He said. He had a cute smile. I quickly shook the idea from my head.

He was gazing now, staring back at me.
"I won't get you in trouble." He said "I promise." I smiled.
"Thanks." I said. He nodded, now looking down at the table.
"Under one condition." He said. He peeked up at me, smirking. I felt my cheeks blush.
"And what's that?" I asked. He sighed.
"You promise to always eat lunch with me."