Don't Forget

Three

“Chrissy!” he shouted in my ear, startling me enough to flinch while Oliver jumped in my face. Before I could retaliate, a garlic breadstick was shoved into my mouth. I felt the marinara sauce burn my cheek as I tried to laugh and back away. I grabbed his wrists and tried to fight him off as I simultaneously attempted to chew the food.

He crawled off my lap and collapsed onto the couch holding his belly from laughter. I slapped his arm as I finished chewing and swallowed hard, feeling a pinch in my throat. “Yeh arsehole! I coulda died!”

His fit of laughter died down as he grabbed the hand I had slapped him with and interlaced our fingers. “I wouldn’t let yeh die ever, love.” I blushed instantly. That word meant more to me than I ever thought it would now, even if used as a pet name. “But yeh need ta eat.”

“I did!” I countered, not being able to remove my gaze from his face. His green eyes are what really got me; especially times like now where they were sparkling with life. He chewed on one of his lip rings, watching me back into what I assumed he made into a staring contest. I raised my hand to his head and ruffled his pitch black hair that hung just below his shoulders. He tried to shake me off. “Yeh and yer damn ‘air. I swear, yeh love it more than yeh love me.”

He puckered his lips in exaggeration, waiting for me to move in and kiss him. I rolled my eyes and smiled, leaning into to give him a quick peck before he wrapped his arm around me and pulled me into his chest. “Nah, I couldn’t love anyfin more than I love yeh. Yeh’re my beautiful bird.”

~~~~

I wanted to wake up in a cold sweat, upset and angry about the dream I’d had. I wanted to cry and holler and take the rest of my pills; but I didn’t. I dreamt of my two least favourite things. Him and food. Unfortunately the pain in my stomach had escalated due to seeing me eat.

Day five without food.

I rolled over without bothering to open my eyes, laying against an old box spring mattress that someone had recently thrown out. I breathed in the scent of bleach, but I didn’t mind. It was better than the ground or boxes I was used to. I’d have to remember this place.

After the few minutes it took for me to actually wake up I rubbed at my eyes to prepare for the morning sun. Unfortunately, I was greeted by grey clouds that threatened some sort of precipitation. I couldn’t tell you if I’d rather rain or snow, but all I knew is that it’d be damn cold.

I heard the chattering of voices in the apartment beside me as a couple exited the building, holding hands and each carrying a coffee from the local bistro. I knew they couldn’t see me from the angle of the alley I had chosen as home that night, but I still felt rude watching them. I was envious of her flowing hair, clean and shining even without the sun beating down on it. She was dressed in a form fitting dress suit and tall heels. My cheeks turned red as I turned away.

I decided I wasn’t quite ready to get up, so instead I reached for my notebook and pencil and opened it to the same page I’d started drawing the worried man on. I held the tip of the lead against the paper, waiting for what I knew I was ready to spill out. After a few moments of hesitation, my hand began to move.

I dreamt about him again. I do this at least three times a week now and I’m getting tired of it. And now I’m hungry because it was the pizza dream. That was such a good day but I have to move on. How? Well for now I have my drugs, so I guess that’s good enough. I don’t even know why I dated someone as fucking chubby and weird as Oliver. He had hair like a girl, and he had piercings. He talked about getting tattoos, which I absolutely hate. They’re trashy. Enough about him. I feel like today’s going to be off, much like yesterday. I met someone, sort of, but he pissed me off. He acted like he knew me or we’d talked before. I do get too high sometimes, but I’d remember someone who looked like that. I hope I don’t see him again. He made me feel like a bum. Technically I am, but I’ve never felt like one until yesterday. I’m going to go get high. I can’t wait to stop feeling.

~~~~

It took longer than usual for me to feel normal. I’d gone to the gas station for water and to grab what I could from the “give a penny take a penny” cup. I’d only gathered a few coins, but it would add up eventually. With one pill left and less than a pinch of powder in my bag, I needed to stock up quickly. I decided to go back to the market once my insides felt like they were soaring.

Despite the lack of sunlight, it was warmer than the previous day. I was able to go without a hat, though I didn’t because of my disgusting hair, and just the same long sleeve shirt I’d worn for the past three weeks now. Luckily enough I knew how to keep me and my limited clothing clean without having to pay at a laundry mat. The owner was Tommy’s cousin.

I heard a song play from across the street where a man was sitting much like I was with a radio to his side. I couldn’t distinguish the artist, but the piano in the song was familiar to me. I mindlessly began to hum along, just barely swaying my head side to side as I began to draw the man.

After merely minutes, he looked up at me. He must’ve felt my stare. I tried at a week wave and motioned to my pencil to let him know I was doing a quick still life. He frowned at me, but looked back down to read his paperback and allowed me to continue. I felt giddy in my core as I continued on.

“Yeh’re really talented.” The voice spoke from behind and above me. I immediately recognized it and squeezed my pencil self consciously, covering my art with my forearm. I didn’t even have to look up to know who I was dealing with.

“Go away,” I said simply, trying not to raise my voice. Increased stress levels meant decreased amphetamine levels.

Instead of obeying, he took a seat beside me, making sure to keep at least two feet of distance between us. I glanced at him out of the corner of my eye and scoffed.

“It’s not sunny. Why are yeh still wearin’ those damn glasses?” He turned to face me head on and smirked, which in return made me more angry.

“’s a comfort thing,” he explained. “I like to wear em’ in public so I don’ feel so weird if I’m caught starin’ at someone.”

“Yeh’re pretty creepy anyway,” I muttered under my breath. The man across the street noticed our altercation and gathered his belongings before taking off towards a different section of the square. “Fuck!” I shouted, throwing my pencil to the ground. I raised my knee and rested my head on it in distress. “Yeh scared ‘im away, yeh prat!”

“I’m sure yeh ‘ave wha’ it takes to finish it by memory,” he countered with a shrug. “I didn’ mean to make yeh feel uncomfortable, but yeh are quite good.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled, trying my hardest not to blush. No one had ever seen any of my sketches before. “So why are yeh ‘ear? To bother me again?”

He frowned and sat quietly, tapping the ground with his grey vans. “I saw yeh sleepin’ in an alley.”

My eyes went wide and I pursed my lips. “Did yeh follow me ‘ome?”

“I don’ like tha’ yeh call it ‘ome,” he mentioned, adjusting his beanie. “An’ no. Yeh’re righ’ across the street from my hotel. So I’m the one who got followed ‘ome, yeah?”

“Yeh live in tha’ really nice hotel?” I asked quietly. He didn’t look like a bum, but in no way did he look like he could afford to stay in that high quality building. He nodded. “Isn’t it really expensive and such?”

“Aye,” he sighed. “But I ‘ave the funds. I’m not even ‘ear for tha’ long.” Thank god. “So do me a favour and next time yeh’re out there sleepin’, feel free to come an’ stay with me. I’d rather tha’ then yeh catch something.”

“I-uh,” I began, unsure of what to say. Did he really just offer me somewhere to stay for free? I couldn’t understand how a stranger would allow me in such a nice building, but my own brother made me leave his house because I didn’t like his girlfriend that stayed there as well. “Tha’s nice of yeh.”

He grinned wide, showing off a set of perfectly straight teeth. I ran my tongue across my own, unbrushed set and grimaced.

“Yeah well I don’ ‘ave anyone ‘ere really,” he sighed as he stared ahead at seemingly nothing. “My mates are back ‘ome. I’m ‘ere for promotional bullshit for the band, and they were too lazy getting’ fucked up.”

“Band?” My ears perked at that word. I should’ve known by his appearance that he played music. “Wha’ do yeh play?” He did nothing but point his colourful hand to his mouth. “Sing?”

“Somefin’ like tha’,” he smiled. He nudged me with his elbow and raised to his feet. “C’mon, let’s get some food to eat.”

I felt my heart drop but stood anyway. My fingers held my notebook tightly to my chest as I watched my feet. My pills hadn’t made me feel as full as I wanted to, but I refused to give into food now. “Tha’s alright. I’m full.”

He raised an eyebrow skeptically as he adjusted his sunglasses. He rolled his sleeves up to his elbows, revealing two fully decorated arms. Well at least from what I could tell. “When’s the las’ time yeh ‘ad food in yeh?”

I honestly couldn’t remember, and didn’t feel any need to try. Instead, I changed the subject. “Why do yeh like tattoos so much?”

He shrugged. “Expression, art, pain. The whole shebang.”

“Pain?” I asked inquisitively. “Hmm.”

“So yeh ‘aven’t eaten in a while? Let’s go. S’on me.”

“I’m really not hungry, uh,” I started until I realized I didn’t even know what to call him. “Um, stranger. Wha’s yer name anyway?”

He paused and seemed to be in deep concentration. “Come eat wiff me an I’ll tell yeh.” I opened my mouth to retaliate in anger until he cut me off. “If not food, come ‘ave a drink at my place, uh, stranger,” he mimicked me.

“Chrissy,” I finished for him.

“Nice ta meet yeh. Yeh ready?”

“Now?” I asked nervously. He smiled slowly and nodded his head towards the part of town he temporarily lived in. “A drink as in alcohol, righ’?”

“Aye. C’mon now,” he demanded on he turned on his foot and took off without me. My high was almost gone, so maybe alcohol is exactly what I needed. I sighed and followed after him.

~~~~

It was breath taking. The inside of the hotel was uncomparable to the outside. The exterior of the building looked classy and elegant, but not like this. Free food lined the cafeteria, live music was playing at all times, and everyone in the lobby were adorned in suits or dresses. It seemed more like a ball than anything. Then there was this strange man and myself; him covered in tattoos and me wearing material similar to a straw bag. I tried to dismiss the looks being thrown my way, but the stranger before me smiled and nodded at everyone like they had been friends for ages. Maybe he was just overly polite.

We walked in silence until he halted halfway down the first level entry hallway at door eighteen. He fumbled with his wallet and pulled out a card that he then swiped in the door. He waited for a beep before he opened it up, holding it for me to enter first.

“Thanks,” I muttered, still holding tightly to my belongings. I didn’t look up until I heard the door shut and automatically lock behind me. I gasped instantly at the beauty of the room. It was enormous, to say the least. The kitchen area had a full size fridge along with marble counters and mahogany cabinets. The king sized bed had a velvet red comforter sprawled across it along with at least a dozen pillows throw together messily at the headboard. In front of the bed was a forty seven inch flat screen television with a full DVD player and movie selection.

“Like it?” I heard him speak as he appeared next to me with two bottles of liquor. I was so distracted by the room that I’d forgotten he was there.

“It’s damn beautiful,” I breathed with a smile.

“So,” he beamed, obviously pleased with impressing me. “Jack or Captain?”

I eyed the first bottle and bit my lip with a grin still playing on my face. He chuckled and left the bottle of rum on the counter.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woooo thought I'd throw the third one in. I'm enjoyin' writing it so why not?
Let me know what you think.