‹ Prequel: 1) Beginning.
Sequel: 3) Restless.

2) Accusation.

2) Accusation.

“You guys are the greatest band in the world!

This girl really looks and sounds like she knows what she’s talking about, so why shouldn’t they believe her? The next girl even says the same thing. And the next. And the next, and the next, like management hired a never-ending line of admirers to praise them. Everyone needs a little support and motivation now and again, don’t they?

But it’s a hefty statement to make. The boys wonder if they’re deserving of that title, ‘the greatest band in the world’, as if they’ve done something that other bands haven’t. As if they’ve done things better than other bands have. Which they doubt.

Harry squeezes his hand in a fist under the table.

They don’t take it for granted either, no matter how many times they hear it. It’s too scary of an allegation to ignore. Because what if they can’t live up to it? What if they screw up? How can five immature boys take care of millions of dedicated fans who look up to them as if they’re angels?

The pressure is on: They have to be better at making music. They have to be better role models. They have to be better at appreciating their fans. They have to be the best.

Harry smiles his mile-wide grin at a girl whose arms are half-covered by sleeves. Like she’s not quite brave enough yet to tell him what he’s done for her. But she doesn’t have to. He knows.

The reality of their situation is: They aren’t the best at everything, if anything. They don’t know what it is they do, but they’re terrified that if they stop doing it, they’ll lose more than just a faceless fan or a nameless admirer. The only thing they consider themselves ‘the greatest’ at is merely hoping they won’t let anyone down.

It’s not so much praise as it is a reminder of their responsibility.

Harry, who was put at the end of the autograph table this time, receives all the ‘bye’s’ and ‘thank you’s’ from people he might never meet again as they walk away with their signed hands or shoes or CD’s, and can’t help but feel a twinge of guilt in his gut at every single one of them.
♠ ♠ ♠
[Original author's note:]

[6/13/12]

Wow. I wish this one was the first drabble. I like it so much better!

People seriously underestimate how important bands are to a girl (or anybody, really). The boys have saved a lot of lives, and they continue to be humble in their fortune. I think they really do know how much they’ve done for us, their fans, how, to us, they are more than deserving of that ‘title’, and they should never doubt it. What have they done for you?

And massive thank you to my friend notweirdbutunique who quoted Paul McCartney, who said it best!:

"(That's the) kiss of death. So many bands, they all get called the next Beatles. It puts an awful lot of pressure on them to be the next Beatles. Oasis were the next Beatles once, if you remember. It's pressure because suddenly you have got to live up to all the things that we did. It was a different time back then. So let's just call them the next terrific band.”

Alright sentimental moment over.

Now time to go outside and have my little brother prove to me he’s not Canadian by beating me in some good-old fashioned American football!!! (Not gonna happen.)

Thanks everyone who has commented and subscribed and recommended because this means so much. Have a beautiful day and see you all tomorrow! xx