Status: Finished

I Will Wait for You

Sketches

“Do you wish for me to wait for you here, Sir?”

James blinked as his driver and soldier addressed him.

“Oh no, no Jameson.” He replied calmly as he patted the young man’s shoulder “I’ll return by my own feet.”

The soldier did a countenance as James exited the car and came face to face with Elizabeth’s house. He had barely slept that night at the thought of seeing Elizabeth again and of having the opportunity to spend more time with her. He felt filled with energy and before he could take a step forward, he heard galloping. He peeked through the small gate of the garden to see small Samuel standing in the middle of garden, waving his arms of the air.

“Ellie!” He yelled as the galloping got closer and closer.

James moved to the side of the house and his jaw dropped as he saw Elizabeth jump with Percy Blue over the wall of their garden and then stop just in front of Samuel. That woman was fire and he wanted her like he had never wanted anyone before. No. He didn’t just want her, he was actually developing feelings for her. All it took was yesterday, it had been enough for him to realize that he was in love.

He watched her climb down of the horse, elegantly, and greet Samuel with a bow. He bowed back but soon enough he was begging her again to ride Percy Blue. She caressed his hair and explained that Percy also needed to rest and Samuel, even though a bit upset, understood and went off to play inside the house.

Elizabeth petted Percy Blue’s nose as she led him inside the stable and picked up a carrot to find him. She smiled as the horse ate calmly when she felt observed and looked at the door of the stable to find James. She blushed a light color and nodded her head towards him.

“Good afternoon Captain.” She greeted with a smile as her heart began to pound harder in her chest.

Yesterday almost seemed like a dream or a mirage to her. She had never felt so good and happy and for the first time, she went to sleep with a smile, looking forward to the next day.

“Hello Elizabeth.” He said politely as he took his hat off and bowed his head a bit “We are alone, you can call me James if you want to.”

She turned towards him with that astonishing smile and he felt himself melting.

“Well… James,” She said as his name escaped her lips naturally “Where is Thunder?”

James’s smile faded slowly as he sighed “This morning as I went to greet him and feed him, I noticed that he seemed very tired and his leg is worrying me. He seems to have a lump so I decided to let him rest and then see if he improves.”

Elizabeth gave him a concerned look and wished for Thunder to get better soon, nevertheless Percy Blue was ready to be sketched. James refused to get a chair or anything of the sort and preferred to sit on the hay with his sketchbook resting on his leg while his set of pencils rested on the floor beside him. He took his coat off and, while he was distracted, Elizabeth took his figure in. He was more than attractive or well-built, he was truly handsome and she had to admit that he looked wonderful in his uniform.

“Should I let him go?” Elizabeth asked as James smiled warmly.

“I’m not sure that is a good idea. He is calm because you are close and petting him but if you let go, I’m not sure if he will stand still.” He replied as she took a deep breath.

“But if I stand here won’t I be in your way?” She asked.

“Not at all, Elizabeth.” He replied quickly as she blinked and turned to Percy again to pet him and whisper for him to be a good horse for as long as James needed.

He chuckled at that and began his sketch. His lines were precise and swift, his wrist moved freely and easily and as Elizabeth observed him, a shiver ran down her spin. His concentration was overwhelming, there was no Captain there with her at the moment, there was only James and the more she knew him, the more she loved him.

After a while, James seriousness began to fade as his eyes started to focus on Elizabeth instead of Percy. There was something so mesmerizing about her, for some reason he could not resist her and just being in her presence was enough for him to feel happy. He shook his head a couple of times trying to focus on the horse but suddenly, when he blinked, he realized that he had been drawing them both.

“Elizabeth?” He called as she glanced at him with curiosity, it was the first time that he was breaking the silence.

“Yes?” She asked as she could hear Percy’s deep, calm breathing close to her.

“This might sound odd but… could you tie your hair up?” James asked after realizing that drawing her hair was something he couldn’t do, yet.

She furrowed her eyebrows and tilted her head to the side but agreed “Could you stand up and pet him?” She asked motioning for Percy Blue.

James nodded his head and stood up to pet the horse, telling him how a good boy he was being and how proud he was of him not only for behaving but for also being a gentleman around Elizabeth. She laughed quietly as she found her favorite piece of blue ribbon and tried to tie her hair back on her own when usually her mother helped her. Seeing her struggle, James spoke seriously for Percy Blue to stay still and then he turned to Elizabeth.

“May I?” He asked as she blushed but nodded her head.

He took a deep breath as she turned around, so that her back was facing him, and he made sure that he was delicate when he was gathering her beautiful, long hair in his hands and pulled it up. He swiftly used the ribbon to keep the hair together and did a pretty bow on it, a discreet but cute one.

“There you go. Is it done properly?” He asked, waking her up from her daydream. She had never had a man touch her hair and his touch was so delicate and soft that she had enjoyed it more than she thought she could.

“It’s perfect.” She said with a smile as she turned around to find him practically glued to her as he towered easily over her frame. Her heartbeat quickened in a second.

James exhaled calmly at the beauty of her face right there before him, so close that he could touch it. He slowly raised his hand and pressed it against her flushed face, feeling the heat under his palm. He smiled softly and leaned down, his lips hovering over hers. He watched her flutter her eyes closed and as he slowly wrapped his arms around her waist to pull her closer. She rested her hands on his chest as he was about to plant a kiss upon her lips they heard a voice.

“ELLIE!” Sam called happily as he burst through the barn to hug his sister’s legs, forcing James to step back.

Given his innocence he had no idea of what he had interrupted but both the blushes present on James’s and Elizabeth’s face didn’t pass unnoticed to Andrew who simply greeted them with a wide smirk. He took Sam with him and Percy Blue but the moment had been spoiled and both Elizabeth and James didn’t quite know what to say.

“May I visit you tomorrow?” James asked as Elizabeth smiled.

“I am going to town in the morning so you may visit me in the afternoon.” She replied as he nodded his head, slipped into his jacket, gathered his belongings and paid her a respectful and long countenance, with a bow before giving her a soft look and proceeding back to where the troops were.

♣♣♣


“And not a word of it to your sister, understood?”

“Yes mamma.” Sammy replied seriously.

Elizabeth furrowed her eyebrows as she stepped into the kitchen “Good morning.” She greeted eyeing both her mother and younger brother seriously. “What’s wrong?”

“Oh nothing dear.” Her mother replied quickly, furthering Elizabeth’s suspicions. Every time her mother started replying quickly while doing chores, it meant that something had or was about to happen.

“Did dad hurt himself again?” Elizabeth asked as she glanced at Sam, who stood nervously on his spot, obviously doing his best not to spill.

“Goodness, no sweetheart. Everything is fine.” Her mother replied as Elizabeth crossed her arms over her chest.

“Mother… please tell me what’s going on.” Elizabeth said patiently as her mother kept denying that something was happening.

Elizabeth shrugged her shoulders “Fine then. I’m going to town like you asked me and I’m taking Percy Blue with me.” She concluded as she left the house.

She heard her follow suit and Elizabeth slowly turned to her “Shouldn’t he be resting? He stood for hours yesterday so the Captain could sketch him.” The woman said.

Elizabeth tilted her head to the side “Mother, Percy is stronger than that. He is a young horse and he needs to be around every day.” Elizabeth explained as she opened the doors of the barn and her eyes widened.

“Ellie.” Her mother said smoothly, placing her hand over her daughter’s shoulder.

“Where is he?” Elizabeth asked but as her mother kept silent, she turnedsuddenly the face the woman “What happened to Percy Blue?” Elizabeth asked with a more demanding tone.

Her mother frowned “Your father would have never allowed it but he was already on the fields… It was Andrew.” She started nervously knowing that her daughter would be furious with what had happened early in the morning while she was sleeping peacefully “The Army got a call to gather and they were looking for soldiers…”

The woman burst into tears and all the dots connected in Elizabeth’s head. She was so furious and she didn’t think twice before starting to run towards the center of the village, ignoring her mother’s pleas for her to stay.

James observed the new soldiers getting surveyed for basic information about themselves while his fellow soldiers, comrades in arms and honor, inspected the various horses. James’s expression went from serene to sheer panic as he recognized Percy Blue and approached the horse. He was exceptionally hyperactive that day, probably intimidated by the environment but the horse recognized him. James petted him to calm him down and then he saw Andrew with a bright smile.

“What are you doing here?” James asked.

“I’m signing up.” Andrew told him proudly.

Before James could ask anything else, he became nervous with the sight of a furious Elizabeth passing by the soldiers, not caring that she was the only woman there. She grabbed her brother by the collar of his shirt and before he could even realize what was happened, she was staring furiously into his eyes.

“Elizabeth,” James started, trying to ease her as he noticed that every man was staring at her.

“This is not your business.” She replied coldly and James closed his mouth tightly as he turned towards his men and urged them to continue because it wasn’t their business either “Andrew, what were you thinking?!”

“Let me go!” Andrew countered, pushing her away with a bit of strength and James turned to see her chest heaving, the fury in her eyes was intimidating. “I do whatever I please.”

“Honestly, I do not care what happens to you. If you want to be a soldier, be a soldier! Go slay lives with your bloody weapons, that is all you’ve ever dreamed about!” Elizabeth roared “But Percy Blue is my horse. How dare you bring him with you?!”

“Percy Blue is mine.” Andrew sneered as his hands closed into tight fists, he had only taken Percy Blue to sell him and make a good impression in the army. He hadn’t thought about his sister or about anyone else, his selfish nature had taken the best of him.

“You are lying. You never cared about him and you only did to impress James.” Elizabeth pointed out, being completely merciless towards her brother “You only approached Percy Blue after I spend weeks with him to train him properly and you know that he cannot endure a war. Andrew… he still so nervous, so anxious and so afraid of everything.”

Andrew took a deep breath and asked his sister to leave, she refused to turn to James “Do with Andrew what you will, he is here because he wants to be but he brought Percy Blue and the horse has no fault in this.”

James sighed as he turned to her “The army has bought Percy, Elizabeth. He belongs to us now, there is nothing I can do.”

He saw her hopeful eyes turn sad as she launched her arms around Percy Blue’s head “What if I take him and flee?”

“I wouldn’t advise that. I would have to chase you.” James murmured as he placed his hand on her shoulder while she leaned her face against Percy’s nose.

“He won’t survive.” She murmured as an idea came to James’s mind.

“I will take care of him, I promise.” He said and she suddenly pulled back, with tears running down her cheeks.

“And how can you do that?” She asked with a sympathetic smile.

“He’s going to be my horse.” James stated as he patted Percy’s side while Elizabeth’s jaw dropped.

“What about Thunder?” She asked.

“That’s where I need you.” He said as he looked down to meet her gaze “He cannot go to war, he is injured and I have no one to leave him with, no one that I can trust to take proper care of him. Would you mind taking care of him while I’m gone?” James asked as she stared at him with confusion written all over her face.

She nodded her head as tears streamed down her face and James felt so frustrated that he could display emotions there, he was the Captain and he had to stick to his post.

“I promise you,” He started taking her hand in his protectively “From man to woman that I will take care of Percy as closely as you have and, if I can, I will return him to your care.”

Elizabeth paused, knowing that James was being honest and with that she turned towards Percy and embraced the horse again, whispering to him while she cried. The reason for her tears wasn’t just Percy, it was James as well. She knew that that moment was probably the last she could ever seen him and that was breaking her heart.

With shaky hands, she took her blue ribbon from her pocket and with James’s help she divided it into three parts. One she tied around Percy’s mounting gear, another she placed around her wrist and the last one she tied around James’s wrist gently, kissing his flesh before returning his hand.

“Promise that you will bring him back.” She said as she looked up.

“I promise.” James said a bit sadly as he realized what Elizabeth had realized a few moments ago: this could be the last time they saw each other.

She stepped closer to him “Promise that you will be back.” She pleaded.

He softened immediately “I promise sweetheart.” He said truthfully as she leaned in on her tiptoes to kiss his lips softly. He placed his arms around her waist and kissed her more deeply.

“Promise that you will be waiting.” He muttered against her lips as he bent down enough, after they pulled away, to allow their lips to linger closely.

“As long as it takes.” She replied without an inch of doubt as he smiled and pulled her to him in a long embrace combined with a deep kiss.

James heard his name being called and he slowly released Elizabeth, he came face to face with the Major who had already ordered the man to set everything for their departure. When James turned to find Elizabeth, he saw Andrew approach her and possibly apologize. Elizabeth maintained her posture for a few minutes but then she pulled her older brother for a hug. They were opposite sides of a coin but, deep down, they would always love each other because they were family and always wish the best for the other.

Andrew was taken by an official and Elizabeth came face to face with James again.

“It’s time.” He mumbled as she took his hands and looked up, attempting not to cry, that was the man she loved and she knew that he would come back.

“Come back safe and sound love.” She whispered as she pulled him for a tight embrace.

He placed his hands on her back and shut his eyes for a minute just enjoying their bodies pressed to each other, her presence and the smell of her hair. It smelled of flowers and it made him grin, he had never noticed before. She kept her tears in. He looked so perfectly handsome in that moment, her feelings were reciprocated and she had just been kissed for the first time. She was ecstatic and terribly sad at the same time, she wished that he didn’t have to risk his life but she knew that if he wasn’t a Captain, they would’ve never met.

“I will. Take care, my Elizabeth.” He whispered into her ear.

Then he kissed her sweetly and hopped into Percy Blue. Elizabeth petted the horse for a last time and exchanged a glance with James. He smiled weakly and hurried his step to ride next to the Major.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello darlings!
Thank you so much for your patience. Next part will be the last and I am already working on it and I hope to update before Christmas.
Thank you for your lovely comments. Also thank you so much for subscribing and for the recs!