‹ Prequel: Won't Give Up Easy
Status: Hiatus

Begging You

A Wedding

*Patrick*

There were happy couples everywhere and it was annoying him to wits end. It only reminded him that he was alone and unhappy. Why wasn’t there anywhere on the earth that there weren’t couples flaunting their love everywhere? Patrick didn’t mean to mope but he couldn’t help it.

Callie sauntered over to him in her huge fluffy white dress. She was so beautiful and was obviously very happy. Patrick was happy for her and Jon, even if he was jealous. “Okay, Kaner. I should punch you for mopping at my wedding.”

“Only because the bride should be mine.” He joked. Eyes softening, she smiled at him.

“Oh, come on, Pat. Dance with me.” Patrick followed her out onto the floor, making a show of her big white dress. Over his shoulder, he saw Jonathan. Never in his life seen his Captain more happy. There was a twinkle in his eyes that Pat, himself, hadn't seen since winning the cup.

“You two are perfect for each other.”

Callie just shrugged at him. “I can’t explain it. The way that it is between us.” He wanted to understand the feelings she felt. He wanted to peak into the little window that she was.

“Explain it to me.” Being difficult was his specialty, no one would be surprised he asked to explain. No one would figure out being lonely was the reason, that asking a simple question would be his way of fulfilling his shallow love life. Or at least he hoped not.

“It’s like… I wake up in the morning and I wonder what are ‘we’ going to do today. When he’s away on a road trip, I more than miss him. It’s like I’m not myself. Not completely, at least. It hurts sometimes but it amazing at the same time. You have to feel it.” She paused for a moment. “Were you and Jon always this girly?”

Patrick gave her a genuine laugh. Callie could make him genuinely happy. He loved her like a best friend, a sister. Her marriage to Jon only solidified that. He felt a tap on his shoulder. “Speak of the devil.” Callie muttered but she had the largest smile on her face.

“I would ask to cut in but you’re dancing with MY wife.” Everyone around them laughed. Patrick was moving out of the way for Jon to grab Callie when he heard a tinkling laugh.

That’s when he saw her. Her hair was a little past shoulder length and nearly shone black in the sun. From where he stood he could see how the dark blue of her dress looked against her alabaster skin. As if she could feel his eyes on her, she turned. Patrick heard himself gasp. Bright amber-brown eyes stared back at him, wide with her Asian heritage. Her lips were a bit too big, her hair was a bit too dark for her too pale skin, her eyes a bit too wide, she shouldn’t have been beautiful. But he had a difficult time breathing, just looking at her.

Never had he been nervous contemplating going up to a girl but he could feel his palm sweating. For a long while, she didn’t look away from him. Her eyes focused on him, assessing him. She winked at him and it almost gave him a heart attack. What the hell was he going to do, he asked himself.

*Scarlet*

Scarlet felt eyes pierce her back. When she turned, the biggest, deepest pair of bright blue eyes were looking back at her. Patrick Kane, she mentally told herself. He was every bit as beautiful as people made him out to be. He wasn’t one of the huge monsters that were mulling around but still quite large and broad.

Immediately, her thoughts went dirty. If the rumors were true, Kaner would be quite a ride. A little technician in a big man’s world is what they often said about him but Scar had no doubt that he would hold his own in her world. To tease him, she winked before turning her attention back to little boy that was trying to dance with her.

“My name is LJ. Will you dance with me?” The little boy with his own set of baby blues looked up at her. Scar glanced at his mother, sister of the bride, in the corner, she nodded. Scar felt her heart swell at the little boy, never had she ever been able to really deny a child.

“Of course, bud.” She scooped him up into her arms and for a while, they swirled and swung together for a long while, laughing and giggling. Then his clammy damp hands started to grip her hair and his cheeks were red with exhaustion. LJ started to get heavy and slump in her arms.

“You look cute like that.” A deep voice with a slightly heavy northern accent. It was no surprise when the dimpled Patrick was behind her. Grinning at the little boy like he’d never seen anything more beautiful. He reached his arm out. “He must be getting heavy, I’ll hold him and we can find his mom.”

Internally, she debated whether or not it was a good idea do as he asked but then her arms started to give at the weight of LJ. Reluctantly, Scar handed him the little boy. Immediately, the boy snuggled into Patrick. If there was ever a man who could make fatherhood look beautiful, it would Patrick Kane. He shot her a smile and motioned for her to walk forward. “So, what was your name again?”

“I never told you what it was in the first place, Patrick.” She told him. His cheeks turned pink with being caught but she saw the determination in his eyes. “But you can call me Scar.”

“Like from the Lion King?” he asked as the spotted LJ’s parents dancing, holding each other close, obviously in love. She heard Pat sigh. It was a peculiar sound coming from a twenty five year old man.

“Like Scar from Scarlet.” Patrick never got a chance to say anything back because LJ’s parents scooped him up from Patrick, thanking him. She used the chance to sneak away from him. If he wanted a challenge he would get one.

Scarlet walked into the building that held the ceremony and climbed up the steps towards the bridal suite. There she could look over the party from the balcony. She felt a wind chill up there that hadn’t been present ground level. Her view was spectacular. She could witness the setting sky and the contrast to the lively reception and white tea lights below.

A blonde head caught her attention. He seemed to be searching for something, for her. As if he could feel her stare, Patrick caught sight of her and gave a heart stopping smirk. Even with the distance, her knees felt a little weak. Before she could completely catch her balance, he was gone. She couldn’t find him anywhere but Scar knew that it wouldn’t be more than a few minutes before he figured out where she was and she got to see his beautiful face again.

Instead going back into the room to meet him, she chose to examine the party. She could see Callie and her husband, Jon. They looked so happy, so in love. The couple deserved it, after all that Callie had dealt with in her past and all the adversity they had to deal with other, it would have been a shame if they hadn’t ended up together.

Scarlet wondered if she would ever have that or if her indecisiveness and pickiness would prevent her from her own happy ever after. A warm hand skimmed her shoulder, she let a shiver run through her body as electricity made her skin tingle in ways she hadn't felt in a long time. “You’re such a tease.” Pat’s voice was right in her ear.

“I’d rather be a tease than give into the chase too easy.” They both chuckled. He came up beside her to look down on the party. “It’s pretty isn’t it?” she asked him.

Pat nodded. For a while, they stood in silence. Letting the wind, the sunset, the party take over the moment. “They’re so perfect for each other. It’s kind of scary.” He comment.

She knew exactly what he was talking about. “That’s for sure. It makes you wonder if you’re ever going to have anything like that.” Scarlet knew it was stupid to think that way, she was young, she had her whole life ahead of her but still, all her friends were getting married, having kids, and buying homes. There she was starting fresh in a new city, full of debt from student loans, and just really starting out her life.

“Exactly. That’s exactly what I feel.” Bewilderment ran through her. Patrick Kane should be the most satisfied man on the surface of the earth. He started living his dream at eighteen, he’d scored the game winning goal for the cup, he had endless hordes of women throwing themselves at him and he was worried if anyone was ever going to love him?

“Half of the city of Chicago already does, Patrick. I imagine that you could walk out of your house and turn the corner and find a woman who was in love with you.” He gave her a dark look.

“That’s not love, that admiration, that’s being star struck.”

“I’d never struck you as an emotional one.”

“Have you ever watched the old Blackhawks TV episodes?” he joked. Scar had but she wasn’t ever going to admit that to him or to anyone.

“Mmmm… Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree.” She murmured. Scarlet felt his hand wrap around her waist. His breath fanned over her neck and nothing had ever been so comforting and sexual at the same time. Pat pulled her flush against him.

“No, Scar, trust me, you’re not.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Mmmmm... First chapter of my Patty Kane Story. What do you think is going to happen?

I can assure you that I will not be updating this as fast as I Won't Give Up. I'm super busy but I will find time to at least update once to twice a week!