‹ Prequel: Won't Give Up Easy
Status: Hiatus

Begging You

The Return

*Scar*

Scar paced around the living room, Bren in her arms. The television was showing a Blackhawks pre-season Sunday afternoon game. There were only a couple minutes left in the third period, Pat was down by one. It killed her when they showed an up-close shot of the Hawks bench. All she saw was Pat’s sad, worn face.

Trying to look anywhere but the score, she walked around, murmuring to Brennan about the pictures that hung around the house. She still couldn’t get over how much older Pat looked now. No longer did people say that he had a boyish, childish appearance. The man on the screen was exactly that, a man.

Finally deciding that she couldn’t take it anymore, she settled on the couch, Brennan in her lap and stared intensely at the TV screen. Pat was going to be on the last shift before the end of the game. If they could just score one more goal, she willed. Her hopes rose as she saw Sharpie race down the ice with the puck. Jon and Kaner followed in suit. They had the goalie surrounded. The Blue’s defensemen trailing behind them.

Her heart was beating a million miles an hour as Sharpie passed it to Jon, who immediately passed it to Pat. His stick came back for a wicked slapshot. The tiny black puck passed the goalie, only for everyone to hear the clink of it hitting the crossbar.

“So close!” The announcer yelled. It broke her heart to watch the last thirty seconds. No matter how hard they tried, the Hawks were just defeated. Scar ached for them, it wasn’t something she had expected. She wasn’t exactly sure what he would be like either, she’d never experienced a loss with him.

It wasn’t even half an hour later when she received a text telling her to get on Skype. Her computer was already ringing by the time she had logged in and gotten herself and Brennan comfortable. Patrick’s tired face came on the screen.

“Scar.” He breathed. She could see the sadness on his face. He was still so beautiful and breathtaking over the lagging, blurry skin. “I miss you guys.”

“We miss you too.” Scar picked up Brennan’s tiny hand and waved it at his daddy. “We can’t wait to see Daddy, can we Brenny?” They baby seemed to light up with his father on the screen.

Patrick’s laugh rang through the room, for a moment it was almost as if he was there with her. It was taking everything in her not to relish in the feeling. The entire time he’d been gone, she’d missed him. How could she not, his smile and laugh was infections. They way he handled Brennan make her heart melt. All she wanted was him to come home. It was a dangerous thought.

“I’m going to be home tomorrow, Scar. I really can’t wait.” He paused, lifting a finger to bite on the corner of his nail. “It’s lonely on the road. I guess.” Pat shrugged and laughed again.
“It’s lonely here too.”

“Maybe when I get back we can cuddle and get rid of this loneliness.” The idea was all too tempting. Scar tried to remember every reason it couldn’t happen. She tried to remember why she shouldn’t just tell him yes, right then. The thought that he might be appalled that she so quickly agreed to his teasing stopped her.

“I really do miss you, Pat. It’s not the same around here.” Pat’s bright blue eyes shone through the blurry screen.

“Me too.” He sighed and glanced at his watch. “I’m going to head to bed and get some rest before dinner and the early flight. Love you, Brennan.” His murmur and adoring eyes laid on his son. For a moment, he wouldn’t meet her gaze. When they finally did, mischief swam in them. “Keep the bed warm for me, Scar.” Pat winked and hung up.

It would be too easy just too fall into a pattern, Scar thought to herself as she pulled out her phone. As much as she wanted it to happen, it couldn’t. As the phone dialed, her heart raced. This could end badly, all she was doing was trying to make it easier for all of them.

*Patrick*

The smell of cinnamon and vanilla wafted over to him as he entered his house, Ryan following in suit. “Scar! Brennan!” The excitement of seeing the two of them was overwhelming him.

“We’re in the kitchen.” Her soft voice came floated to him. Walking into the kitchen, the first thing he saw was his beautiful son, dressed in a red onesie with the Blackhawks logo on the front in a high chair. Patrick immediately picked him up and cradled him in his arms, he had missed the soft smell of baby lotion that Brennan seemed to extrude.

“Hey, buddy. Daddy missed you.” His son looked up at him, if Patrick had to put money on it, he’d have bet he understood him.

“We missed you too.” Scarlet said from her spot in the corner of the kitchen. Her smiling was basically blinding. He walked over to her and pulled her into the hug he and Brennan had been sharing.

She was the reason his home smelled so amazing. Her hair was spicy as the cinnamon and a sweet vanilla scent permeated from her body. “I missed you, a lot, Scar. Ryan is a shit roommate.”

“Well, fuck you, too, Kaner.” Ryan murmured, digging in the fridge. Patrick let go of Scarlet and walked over to where her smell wasn’t pushing him over the edge. He watched her as she fidgeted around, contemplating something.

“Pat, you don’t have a game Friday.” He nodded at her statement. Maybe she had come to her senses and realized that maybe they could actually go out. “I can go out right?” It wasn’t what he wanted to hear but he would stop her from going out with some girlfriends.

“Yeah, I told you. Don’t even act worried about it.” He threw her a cocky grin and walked out of the kitchen. Patrick knew she braced herself on the counter. It was exactly the reaction he wanted.

------

Patrick watched as Scar’s full figure floated down the stairs. A trail of long dark hair flowed behind her. He’d seen her dressed nicely but nothing like tonight. She wore a bright red blouse under a light weight leather jacket and skin tight dark jeans with flat boots that came up to her knee. For him place at the end of the stairs, he could see long dangly earrings peek out of her hair.

In his arms, Brennan cooed. Behind him, Ryan whistled a cat call and clapped Scar’s face lit up at the sight of them. “Whoa, I can cancel my plans now and take you out on the town, it’s not too late.” Ryan joked, all of them laughed. When they all got themselves in check, the rookie came over and gave Brennan a noogie, Patrick a slight shove, and walked over to give Scar a kiss on her cheek.

“Don’t stay up, guys.” He winked at them before walking out the door.

“That kid has turned into a heartbreaker and it’s all your fault.” Scar joked to him. Patrick just shrugged and gave her another head-to-toe once over.

He could see that she was glowing, she looked absolutely stunning. “You look nice.” He told her as she came to blow kisses at his son. As she smiled at him, he saw something in her eyes. The doorbell rang not giving him a second to address it.

“That must be your friend.” Looking as if she was about to say something, Scar seemed to decided against it and let him open the door.

Pat almost slammed the door. On the other side, Viktor, his teammate stood, grinning. “Kaner, thank you for letting me steal your gorgeous nanny for a night.” He looked past Pat to where Scar stood, eyes wide. “Beautiful.” He murmured. It made Pat sick.

“Hold on a second,” Leaving the door slightly opened, Patrick walked up to Scar. “I thought you were going out with girls.”

Immediately, her eyes became defiant and her posture stiff. “I never said that Pat, I said I was going out.”

“With Viktor?”

“With Viktor.” Her sigh at the end make him back away. She could go out and have her fun but Pat definitely wouldn’t let her forget what was between them when she came back. He watched her walk past him and out the door. It killed him.

*Scar*

Viktor was attractive, that was true but he didn’t hold a candle to Patty’s classic All-American boy look. She missed him. The way his eyes follow her down the stairs, like she was a prize, made her feel powerful. Watching him flare in jealousy when she walked out of the door, it set her on fire.

Next to her, Viktor drove his sleek little sports car through the long highways of Chicago. They were moving farther out of the city. Turning to look at him, she watched as he turned to her, gave her a panty dropping smirk and a wink. In a different lifetime, she could see herself really liking him.

His eyes were such a yellow green, they seemed to glow in the light. They had all dinner. From a distant stand point, she supposed they’d be an attractive couple. He’d made her smile and laugh enough times but the thought of being alone with him made her feel like her dinner was coming up.

It wasn’t long before Viktor started to drive down her street. It wasn’t even 10:30 and he was already dropping her off at her house. When he stopped, instead of getting out, he unbuckled his seat belt and turned to her.

“You can admit it, you know.” His soft Swedish accent slipped into his speech. It was adorable. Scar just cocked her head at him, not understanding what he was talking about. Viktor just smiled at her again. “You like him.”

It took her a minute to comprehend who he could even be talking about before it hit her. “Pat? No.” She shook her head, trying to convince her erratic heartbeat as much as Viktor.

“Oh, yes, you do. I’ve seen you two often enough, heard enough. He’d different than before. You didn’t know him like I did, before.” He paused, growing thoughtful. “This Kaner is tamed. Domestic. For Brennan, for you.” The way he made it seem, like it was as easy as adding one plus one, made her nervous.

Was she that obvious about her feelings? “How did you know?” Her voice squeaked, his deep chuckle vibrated the car a bit.

“Because you resisted me, only women already in for someone can resist me.” His teasing made her laugh and relax a bit. “But, no, really, Scar. Patrick, he likes you too.”

“My being his nanny is more important than a relationship.” For the first time, she vocalized why she’d been a tad resentful. Viktor’s face softened at the sign of her weakness.

“That’s not it. You are his friend first. He never shuts up about you. I think he wants you as more.” Scar just nodded her head, processing all the information her friend had just told her.

Suddenly, Viktor’s lips were soft against hers. She accepted him and felt awkward as their lips moved. It wasn’t romantic or passionate, just happening. When he moved away, his eyebrow was arched. “Nothing?” he inquired.

“Nothing.” Scar repeated. He just shrugged and turned.

“Had to give it a shot. You’ll be a blemish on my track record.” They both laughed as she pulled herself out of his car. Bright lights of his car showed her the path way to the door, he stayed parked until she opened the door and waved.

Pat sat in the dark on the stairs. “What’re you doing, Patrick?” For a moment, he didn’t raise his head, but when he did, the normal light blue of his eyes were stormy and dark. Forearms braced on his knees, he looked large and imposing.

“Why did you go out with Viktor?” The deep timbre of his voice made goosebumps rise on her arms. He was so sexy.

Scar thought for a moment. “I like Viktor.” Immediately, he stood and started walk to her, invading her space. It wasn’t more than a second later that she felt his hot breath on her skin.

“You like Viktor?”

Nodding before she elaborated, she prayed that he couldn’t hear her rapid heartbeat. “He’s funny, sweet, and sexy.” The last word came out as a squeak.

“Did you kiss him?” Not knowing what to say, Scar just nodded. For a minute, he just looked at her. “Did you like it?”

“No.” Her whisper seemed to echo through the foyer. Suddenly, his lips were on hers, pressing them open, making her weak to him. Patrick tasted sweet and homey. She could get lost in him. When he pulled away, she was out of breath.

“Was it because it wasn’t like that?” Scar could feel herself bristle. If this was some show of male dominance, she would just have to play better.

“Why does it matter, Pat?” Her voice was husky, she could see him body stiffening. Knowing she had that control over him, it did her confidence wonders. “Does it upset you that I called him and asked to go out? Were you mad thinking about how he sat on the same side of the booth with me and whispered in my ear? Did you think about how he shifted his hand up my thigh?” Viktor didn’t really do those things, he’d been nothing but a gentlemen the entire time but it satisfied her knowing it was making the man in front of her insane.

“Shut up.” His whisper was husky and the next thing she knew, he pushed her up against a wall. Lips were terrorizing the skin of her neck. If she could form a coherent noise, she would moan but nothing came out of her mouth.

Their heavy breathing filled the foyer. The cold wall behind her was slowly warming up with the amount of heat they were exuding. “Pat.” Scar heard her own voice but it was disembodied. It was like it didn’t happen but immediately, Pat jumped off her and gave her room to breathe.

“I’m so sorry, Scarlet. I don’t know what came over me. I didn’t mean to. I…I…” The way he was stumbling over his words made her blush, the fact that she could make an athlete, who played in front of thousands of fans on a near nightly basis, become flustered was only flustered her.

Instead of backing off, like she knew she should, Scar closed the space between them and kissed him. All the heat and passion a moment ago wasn’t gone, just simmered down. This time she felt a feeling she couldn’t describe in the kiss. It was like he was afraid to lose her at any moment.

“Are you sure about this?” Pat brushed the tip of his nose with hers in an Eskimo kiss. Scar couldn’t do anything but nod before he whisked her up the stairs. Whatever was about to happen was about to change them and at that moment, Scar didn’t care what happened as long as she got to feel what she felt the night she met Patrick Kane.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's back, guys! Scar and Pat are back! Updates still aren't going to come so often. I'm moving this month, so lots of busy work. The new year will probably bring much free time.

Tell me what you think! The title of this chapter just so happen to fit perfectly with the story's return.

I'm thinking about adding a little NC-17 in eventually... Yes or No?

Also, I'm working on a Taylor Hall story and I have lots of ideas for a Tyler Seguin story, so subscribe because I'll be keeping tabs on that in the A/Ns!