Drink the Poison Lightly

01.

The clamorous sound of the letter slot, that had quickly opened and closed, had caught my attention immediately. That sound was like music to my ears like every Tuesday afternoon. In it's own kind of way, it was pure bliss. In all honestly, it seems to be the only thing that still brings me joy.

I picked through the pile until I found what I have been looking for and instantaneously made my way back into my living room. The white envelope laid limply in my hands. Without thought, I ripped open the spit-bound casing, only leaving the familiar, floral stationary, that had been stained with her sweet scent.

Once I had unfolded the elegant paper I saw a picture taped to the center of the page. The photo was facing with the white part face-up with some writing printed across it. Don't look until I tell you her handwriting said in black pen.

I smiled and gently pulled the picture from the page and began to read her loopy, soft writing.

Dear Niall,

How are you love? My apologies for not writing you last week and for not giving you any warning. I had gotten myself into a bit of an inconvenience which lead to the loss of several privileges. They claimed that a few brawls and a smidgen of foul language was categorized as unacceptable behavior and having a horrid attitude. But in my defense, what is to be expected from a Brit raised in Ireland? I say to hell with them, but please no worries mate, it was nothing too scandalous.

I tell you, I cannot wait to get the hell out of here. There ain't nothing here but sad souls and wastes of space. Only a little while longer, and I will be finally free. Free of this damn place and hopefully free of myself yeah? Now wouldn't that just be great? Maybe I could finally be normal for once in my life, and maybe then my parents wouldn't be so ashamed of me.

Now that's enough about me. What about you Mr. Celebrity? How are things on the posh end of life? Oh boy, I could only imagine the life of an international super star. I pick that for you it would be loads of women, the most expensive foods, lavish flats and homes, parties every night, and let's not forget all of the shopping sprees you shall be taking me on as soon as I get out of here. Ha! I only kid mate. I tease because I know you better, unlike all of the girls in here, who would die at the news that I know you and could write you a letter anytime I would like.

Goodness if only it weren't just a letter from week to week. I'm sorry that I haven't been able to speak to you any other way. No cellphones nor internet are permitted, well at least not for me. They say I'm too much of a hazard to be trusted with such things. And yes, I know that we have decided not actually speak to one another until we meet in person first. I just find it such a shame that it is no longer a mystery to me what your voice sounds like, but you haven't the slightest idea of mine. Well not to worry, I'll be sure to make myself free for a lovely Skype as soon as possible, as long as you're up for it.

Well they're calling for all mail now, so I suppose I better get going then. I'll hear from you soon yeah?

Loads of hugs and kisses babe. Oh and I guess you could take a look at the photo now. It's my latest and possibly the only one of myself I will consider putting in a gallery.

Couldn't think of a cheeky closing,
Aria.


I flipped the portrait over and smiled to myself. She was the focal point of the photograph and she was so captivating. There she stood in the middle of several blurred bodies and objects, but she was the only still one. She was in the center of all of this craziness, and yet she seemed to be the only one that was calm, at peace. As I stared at the picture all I could think about how it felt; how it felt to be still, calm, and peaceful. To be honest, I had completely forgotten the feeling.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, here we are again with a new story. Hopefully you enjoyed it! Thank you so much for reading(:

~Dani