Status: Semi-hiatus due to school, sorry about the wait!!

Shift

Chapter Twelve

Sophie had the strange sensation that she was floating, drifting in and out of consciousness. She struggled to open her eyes and move her limbs, but it was like a great force was weighing down on her, forcing her to stay still.

She could hear voices and people moving around her, but it wasn't until she heard her own name mentioned that she put all of her concentration towards trying to listen to them.

"And exactly what do you suggest we tell her, even if she does wake up soon? We can't exactly tell her the truth!"

"Well it's not like we're going to have much choice if she chooses to come after her next, now will we?" This was Mr. Summers, she realized. He sounded extremely irritated and frustrated.

"There's no evidence that Stella has any intention of coming after Sophie, especially not now that the government is looking for her." That was Dr. McCoy, whose voice was usually comforting and soothing, but now his words maybe Sophie confused and afraid. Who was Stella, and why would she be coming after Sophie? And why was the government looking for her?

"She's going to find out the truth sooner or later. Better tell her now so she won't go running off again and getting herself in trouble."

"She's in a coma! We tell her that her sister's alive and a killer the first thing she wakes up, she's going to freak out!" Mr. Logan was furious. She could almost picture him crossing his arms and glaring at Mr. Summers.

"He's got a point, Scott. Telling her the truth about her sister may not be the best thing for her at the moment."

"All right. We'll wait until she's fully recovered to tell her. But we'll need a guard on her at all times. We can't have her becoming her sister's next victim."

Sophie was stunned. What on earth was he talking about? How did he know her sister was alive? She hadn't told anyone the whole story about her experience in the alleyway, not even Eva, her best friend. And how could her sister possibly be a killer? She certainly hadn't seemed particularly nasty towards Sophie, and the presence in her head agrees with this assumption. What was going on?

Suddenly she felt like she was being tugged into a void. Her head spun, and suddenly she could open her eyes.

She was no longer in the med-bay but a white room she didn't recognize. She stood nervously, looking around.

"Sophie," a voice spoke from the corner of the room. Sophie turned around, surprised. It was her sister.

"What's going on? Where am I?" Then, remembering the teachers' words, she started backing away.

"Relax. A friend of mine is helping me project myself into your mind, that's all. I'm not going to hurt you, I promise. We just need to talk."

Sophie stared at her, unsure of what to do. At any rate, she couldn't escape from here on her own, so she might as well play along.

"I heard my teachers talking about you," she said slowly, keeping a wary eye on the woman in the corner. "They think you're dangerous, you're a killer and you're coming after me next. Is that true?"

The woman looked both saddened and worried. "Sophie, I give you my word that I would never, ever hurt you. I can't really explain now, but you're in grave danger. It's too late for me, but I might still be able to save you from them. You need to remember."

"Remember what? And who are we in danger from?" Sophie stepped forwards, momentarily forgetting all of her earlier apprehension.

The woman shook her head. "You have my memories. You need to remember for us, Sophie. It's the only way to stop them."

"Remember what?!" Sophie cried, just before she fell back into the void.

_________________________________________________________________________________

She looked down at the baby in her arms and smiled. "She's beautiful, Mama."

Her mother patted her back. "And you're going to take good care of your little sister, right?

"Yes Mama," she said happily. She sat on the porch swing for a while, gently cradling the precious bundle in her arms. She was fascinated by the big blue eyes that seemed to hold so much wonder, and the tiny hands that reached for her. A wave of protectiveness surged through her and she held the baby close, vowing to never let anything hurt her, ever.

Her mother was talking to some strange man down by the mailbox. She didn't pay them much attention. Right now, her little sister was the most important thing in her world.