Status: Semi-hiatus due to school, sorry about the wait!!

Shift

Chapter 13

It was about three in the morning when Scott was abruptly awoken by a commotion outside the mansion.

He was barely surprised to see the Spooks waiting for the X-men on the lawn, looking as gloomy and ominous as ever.

Logan crossed his arms, looking extremely displeased. "You better have a good reason for this," he growled, glaring at the group in front of him.

There was a brief moment of silence before a girl spoke up, frantically exclaiming something in a language that Scott couldn't quite make out. The Spooks seemed to grow even more agitated as her outburst continued. Scott was about ready to interrupt, when he caught a glimpse of Logan's face.

Somehow, he managed to look even grimmer than usual, and his face only seemed to darken further as the girl continued to relay her story.

When she finished, Logan swallowed hard before turning to the rest of the X-men.

"Stella's in trouble."

Scott had a sinking feeling in his stomach that told him he wouldn't be getting back to sleep any time soon.
___________________________________________________________________________________
They gathered in the conference room, a motley bunch if Logan ever saw one. He tried not to meet the eyes of any of the Spooks as Ivan Valentine began to relay the story to the X-men.

"We've been developing the DHGM machine for years now, but only recently have we made any real progress on it. We started breaking into places and stealing parts to trade to a supplier that gave us the things we needed to complete the device, but Stella was the only who was in contact with them. It didn't seem to matter much anyway, since we were so close to completion."

He bit his lip. "A few hours ago I finally discovered why Stella refused to let anyone else in on the exact details of the deals. I was getting worried since she hadn't contacted me in almost a week, so I broke into her office and went through her files."

Voice bitter, he choked out "Her supplier's A.I.M. Apparently she's going to use their technology to take down Hydra. Even if it kills her."

No one moved for several long moments. Logan held his breath, still trying to process the information.

That was about the same time Sophie woke up screaming.
♠ ♠ ♠
If you're reading this, you're awesome and I'm sorry I suck. :/