Status: Semi-hiatus due to school, sorry about the wait!!

Shift

Chapter Seven

Factory Street was deserted. The old junkyard was surrounded by barbed wire fence, which didn't serve much of a purpose as only those seeking to get tetanus ever ventured through the weeds and rubble to get to the dozen or so junked cars and parts scattered around the lot. Tonight however, several enterprising individuals were busy scouring the area intently, filling crates with various old parts.

"Who in their right mind wants this crap, anyway? Venn must be losing it," grumbled one hooded figure to another. "Shh, she's loaded, remember? Who cares what she's up to, as long as she pays us." His friend glanced nervously into the shadows, as if expecting something to jump out and attack him at any moment.

Suddenly a low, sharp whistle cut through the air. The hooded workers quickly finished packing their crates and then vanished, as if into thin air. The street was suddenly deadly quiet.

The X-men arrived within a few seconds of the hasty departure of the shadowy gang. They immediately searched the area, but came up empty. "You sure this is the right place, Cyke? All I smell is oil and rust." Logan grunted, glaring into the darkness.

"Our source said they saw suspicious figures around here less than twenty minutes ago. There must be some-" He broke off his sentence abruptly.

Two glowing eyes suddenly loomed in front of them. "Nice night, isn't it? A shame my friends had to leave so early. I'm sure you would have loved to meet them." A feminine voice purred.

Scott quickly regained his composure. "Who are you? What do you want?!" He demanded, taking a step forward and raising a hand to his visor.

The voice chuckled darkly. "You can call me Vendetta. As for what I want… well, you'll just have to wait and see. Although I suppose it would only be fair if I gave you a hint." Suddenly a small object landed at Scott's feet. With a rush of air, the stranger was gone.

Scott leaned down and picked up the object and held it up to the light. At first glance, it appeared to be a normal flash drive. That was until he turned it over and saw something that made him suck in his breath.

It was the logo for HYDRA.

__________________________________________________________________________________

"You did WHAT?!" The pink-eyed man stared at the girl in front of him in horror.

"Relax. I simply 'informed' them of what HYDRA did, and what they're planning, so they understand it's for their own best interest to stay out of my way."

"But if they know why you're doing it, they'll figure out who you are! I thought you wanted to protect your family?" He started pacing, wondering if his savior had finally gone insane, or if she had always been that way and it was just now becoming obvious.

"They were bound to figure out anyway. They won't attack them- on the contrary, they'll do everything they can to make sure no one else gets hurt. And I plan on taking down HYDRA before they can even try."

He stopped pacing and looked at her again. Yep, she had definitely gone nuts. "By yourself? That's suicide!"

She laughed darkly. "Of course not, silly. You're going to help me. And so will the others. Unless you want to go forward with Plan B instead... ."

The man shuddered. "I don't know why you're letting them do that to you. There must be some way we can stop them!"

The girl looked away. "I don't have a choice. It's either me or her, and it has to be me. They won't give us the last piece we need for the cure device unless I cooperate." Her voice was quiet, but he could still hear the anguish behind her words, and it broke his heart.

"I know I should be the last person to say this, but are you sure revenge is worth it? You'll be destroying your own life!"

She looked back at him, and there was an expression in her eyes that he had never seen before. It gave him chills.

"It's not just about revenge anymore. I need to make sure they can't hurt anyone ever again, like they hurt my family. If destroying them means destroying myself, so be it."

She left after that. He knew she was most likely going to the hospital, and wouldn't be back for a few hours. So he sat down and began forming a plan of his own, to save the girl that had rescued him from HYDRA before she got herself killed, or worse.