Anna Mae

1/1

The cold surrounded her. Enveloped her.

All around her was white. She couldn't move. She could barely breathe. There was nothing left to keep her going. Even the sun was taunting her - though it shined bright, it brought no warmth. Stumbling, she fell to her knees. Nothing could save her now.

And suddenly, the earth slipped from beneath her.

She didn't understand it. Tumbling though the air, her surroundings suddenly black, she couldn't even scream. In the distance, she thought she saw a shape - a shadow, maybe. But how could that be possible when she was surrounded with darkness? Faster and faster it sped towards her. It was white, glowing. The shape looked so inviting, even as quickly as she was falling towards it. Suddenly, it wasn't even towards but into that she was falling. So soft, it welcomed her as her body sunk into it. Suddenly, everything made sense. It was a bed. Her eyes fluttered violently open, and her breath caught in her throat as she barely stifled a scream.

She was awake again.

**

Her name was Anna, and more often than not she was trapped in her head. It made her the talk of the small town that she lived in, much to the dismay of the parents who had already thought their daughter was a freak. Most residents didn't necessarily care for her – she was only the hottest gossip. “Did you hear what crazy Anna Mae did last night? She's at it again.” Their words echoed though the town.

There were two, however, who did care. Her younger sisters, Charlotte and Elise tried desperately to do everything they could to help her. She didn't used to be like this. She was a normal girl once. She led a normal life. More often than not it wasn't such a great life, but it was normal. They weren't always happy – their parents made sure to make their lives a living hell – but at least they had each other. Not anymore. Now, her tortured screams echoed through the minds that loved her the most. There was nothing they could do. Try as they might, there was no one who could rescue her. She was forever a prisoner of her own mind.

No one knew what happened when Anna disappeared into her mind. Sometimes, she would roam the town; she didn't seem to see anyone. She couldn't. But she would act out whatever was in her mind, and she seemed happy. She was happier than she had ever been before everything started. That almost made her slips from reality worth the torture. She was gone, crazy, but happy.

But the nights. The worst feeling in the world is to sit by and listen to the tortured screams of someone you love and to know that you can do nothing to save them. She would wake up in a cold sweat, crying sometimes, and it seemed no one could ever calm her down.

No one could save her.

Whether Anna knew she was different remained a mystery. She never seemed to know what they were talking about when her sisters brought up her strange behavior. They would do it subtly, treading lightly on possibly tender grounds. But she never acknowledged them. It was a mystery if she knew what was going on. No one but Anna knew the truth.

**

“I swear, Sonny, sometimes I don't know why I deal with you.”

Anna's voice, a sweet, slightly higher pitched voice with a slight country twang, reached a tall figure with light brown skin. He smiled a perfect smile and his almost black brown eyes danced behind long brown hair. “Because I take care of you,” the figure, Sonny, replied in a deep voice.

It was true. He was her caretaker. When she would wake up after things got bad, she would close her eyes again and he would be there. She found herself having to do that more and more – she constantly needed his comfort. She could hardly even escape her harsh reality anymore without an equally harsh fantasy greeting her.

Anna smiled back with not-as-straight teeth. She knelt down next to the river flowing through the field they stood in. This was always where Sonny brought her. It was their happy place. The sun always shined here. It was always just warm enough to keep them comfortable.

She grimaced slightly when she looked into the more still part of the water; she didn't like the reflection staring back at her. She swirled her hand through it, rippling the image of the frail girl with long blonde hair and pale blue eyes. Pretty features didn't always make a pretty girl, she thought. Her parents had always told her this.

“There now, dove,” Sonny purred, sensing her discomfort. Anna loved that name; it made her feel strangely beautiful. “Don't worry, I'm here to make everything okay. I'm here to take care of you.” He pulled her to her feet and wrapped her in his arms. Gently, he kissed the top of her head. He loved her.

This was her world. Her escape from a reality she could no longer be in.

**

Neither of her sisters knew who Sonny was. They wanted so desperately to find him, to bring him to Anna. She looked so happy when she would murmur his name. They had never seen her as happy as when she seemed to think of him. They had to find him. Things were getting worse.

Her health was decreasing. She rarely woke; they had to force feed her. It seemed every time she would wake, when they lost her again she would slip into another of her terror spells. It was a vicious cycle. They wanted so desperately to bring her back, but every time they got her to resurface she would sink into another nightmare. She was having them more and more – even during the day.

They were frantic to save her, before they lost her completely. They had even given up trying to be subtle – every time she would wake, they would beg her to stay. But still she seemed to have no idea of what they spoke. She wasn't able to be reasoned with she didn't have any idea what was going on. At least, in their eyes.

**

She's gone again, Charlotte...

Anna winced as the soft voice pierced the sky. Sometimes, when her sisters felt especially desperate, their voices broke through. That made Anna and Sonny's happy place not so happy; Sonny didn't like it. Sonny didn't like anything that upset Anna.

She reached up to stroke his cheek; she hated upsetting him. “I don't know how much longer I can keep lying to them, Sonny. They're getting frantic.”

“They don't make you happy, though, my dove. They can't protect you from your parents like I can.” His dark eyes searched her face pleadingly for reassurance. He coughed weakly. He was getting sick.

Anna had noticed that the more he had to rescue her, the weaker he became. He assured her this wasn't true, but she knew she was hurting him. She had to do something.

Anna.. please wake up, baby girl...

Her sister's voice was desperate. She needed her. They both needed her. Sonny looked sadly into her eyes, and he pulled her into his arms. “My dove, I know this is so hard on you. I promise everything will be okay if you just stay with me. I promise you that. No one can protect you like I can.”

**

Everything was urgent. Her sisters were begging and pleading with her to stop leaving them. To stay with them, forever. They needed her. They couldn't fight their parents on their own. They couldn't stop their father's blows without her, or her mother's harsh words. Anna was the oldest, the caretaker. They needed her.

Sonny was weak, half dead. He could barely have a conversation without his body being racked with heaving coughs. He even looked worn out. His skin was sunken in over his cheek bones, he was becoming more and more frail. Anna had to choose. She couldn't keep leading both lives, Sonny told her. He finally told her it took all his strength to protect her from her nightmares. She was slowly draining him, and always had been. Her nightmares were stronger now, more frequent. She couldn't wake up without slipping back into one. She needed Sonny more and more as her sisters woke her more and more.

“Please, Anna, please stay with us,” Elise begged her desperately as she grasped her hand tightly. It was as if she thought the tighter she clung, the closer Anna would be to staying. Charlotte stood at the foot of her bed, searching Anna's face. Se could tell Anna was about to slip away.

Anna couldn't help it. She could barely keep her eyes open. She was always so tired. She closed her eyes, and her sisters disappeared.

**

For the first time in a long time, she didn't slip into a nightmare. But she wasn't in her happy place, either. She was in the field, but it was storming. Rain poured down onto the grass, and the thunderous wind blew Anna almost off her feet. She searched the field; what was happening?

She spotted Sonny and almost cried out at the scene before her eyes. As he was walking to her, his paling, now-lanky and frail body collapsed. He stumbled to his knees, his palms violently greeting the ground as he caught himself. Anna ran to him, tears streaming down her face. “Sonny! Sonny, what's happening?”

“Anna!” Sonny screamed over the storm; his voice was weak. “Anna, you have to choose! There's no more time! It's me or them, Anna! You have to choose!” His voice was urgent, begging. He looked close to death. Anna realized she had to make her decision, and now. Sonny looked as though he could die at any moment.

It was time.

**

Anna opened her eyes, and her sisters were both kneeling at her bedside. They searched her face. “Anna, please. Please stay.”

She shook her head, weakly. “I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I just can't handle this anymore.” She knew they were upset, but she had to save Sonny. It was the only thing she had power over. She had to be happy, even if she couldn't help anyone else. “I never meant to hurt anyone.. I love you, but I have to go...”

She closed her eyes, and went to join Sonny forever.