Status: Completed 7/5/2014

Left on the Sidelines

I Know We Only Met, but Let's Pretend It's Love

-Nash-

"So, tell us about yourself, Miss Danielle" I said as we sat down at a table in a local pizza place. "Well, what do you want to know, Mr. Nash?" Danielle smiled. "Everything. Full name, age, birthday, favorite color, social security number," I trailed off as she laughed. "Alright. Let's see.. My full name is Danielle Nicole Myers, I'm 17-years old, my birthday is August 20th, my favorite color is purple, and I don't know my social security number. Sorry," she winked.

I don't know what it was about this girl, but she didn't seem like everyone else. When she smiled at me, the butterflies in my stomach would go crazy. What am I even saying? I'm Nash Overstreet. I don't do relationships, but I wouldn't mind being in a relationship with her...

"So, why are you in Nashville?" Ian asked. Danielle breathed in deeply, then let it out, "Um.." "I guess it's a touchy subject?" Ian said, obviously regretting asking her. "No, it's fine. I just haven't really ever talked about it," she answered. "You don't have to tell us," Jamie said, wrapping his arm around her shoulder and kissing her head.

Why couldn't that be me? Why did she have to be so close with Jamie?

She looked at Jamie and smiled, "It's cool. Ever since I started school, my parents have talked about me going to Vanderbilt for college." "So, why'd you move? I mean, why didn't you just stay here if you were planning on coming back anyway?" Ryan asked. Danielle shrugged, "They said they didn't want me 'involving myself with musicians' or something like that." "That seems pretty stupid considering you were planning on going to college back here," Jamie remarked. "Well, they told me you were in a band," she said, looking at Jamie and Ryan, "They said you guys would make sure I didn't get involved with a musician, I guess." "Oh, yeah, because we're the perfect people to do that," Ryan said sarcastically. Danielle laughed, "You won't have to convince me much. Been there, done that. Dated a few musicians before. None ended well. Never again."

My heart immediately sank. I guess I was just going to have to try a little harder to be her boyfriend.

"So, what are you majoring in?" Jamie asked, changing the subject. "Business," Danielle sighed. "You don't sound entirely thrilled about it," I commented. "Probably because I'm not," she replied with a small laugh, "I mean, I love math, but I don't want a career with it." "Well, what do you want to do?" Ian asked. "Honestly, I would love to be a photographer or play guitar in a band of my own. The freedom to be as creative as I want just fascinates me." "That's what I'm talking about," Ian cheered, high-fiving her. She laughed and he said, "Maybe I could give you a few pointers. You know, work with you on your photography sometime or something." "I would love you forever," she teased.

Here I go again: Wishing she would say that to me.

"Me and Nash could teach you how to play guitar or something, too," Ryan said. "Really?" she asked, hopefully. "Yeah! We'd love to! Wouldn't we, Nash?" "What?" I asked, snapping out of my daydream, "Oh, yeah! That would be fun." "We're gonna be great friends," Danielle smiled at all of us.

Friends. That's just wonderful.

We had all finished eating and were about to walk back out to our cars when Danielle said, "So, who wants to carry me?" "Not it," Ryan, Ian, and Jamie yelled before I could even blink. "Wait, I wasn't paying attention," I shouted. "That's probably because you were too busy thinking about your new crush," Ryan said, walking out of the restaurant. I mumbled, then felt Danielle jump on my back. "Aw, Nashy's got a crush on someone," she sang, "Who is it?" "I don't have a crush on anyone," I shrugged nervously as I held her up, hoping she didn't notice. "Liar," she smiled, "You're nervous as hell." "How would you know?" I asked as I walked out. "I'm a girl. We can just tell. Plus, your heart's beating really fast," she giggled, "Who is she? Or he, I don't judge." I chuckled, "Well, I'll just tell you it's definitely a girl, but I'm not saying anything else." "Well, will you at least tell me one more thing?" she asked. "Depends on what it is," I replied. "Do I know her?" "You haven't even been in Nashville for 24 hours, who could you possibly know?" I laughed. "I know a few people," she said, "Just tell me!" "Fine! Yes, you know her."

We reached Ryan's car and Danielle jumped off of me. As I opened the car door for her, she giggled quietly, "Thanks for the ride, Nash." She kissed my cheek and climbed into the car and I closed the door, a grin slowly making itself known on my face. Ryan and Jamie were staring at me when I looked up at them. "Don't even think about it," Jamie whispered before opening his own door and getting into the car. Ryan shook his head and hopped into the driver's seat, starting his car and pulling away just a few seconds later.

I turned around and finally noticed Ian standing there. "This isn't going to be easy, is it?" I asked. "If Ryan and Jamie have anything to say about it, you're screwed," he replied.

We got into his car and as he drove, he said, "I know you, Nash. I just don't want this to end up like every other time. Danielle is a really nice girl. I, and I know Ryan and Jamie, don't want to see her get hurt."

I sighed, but didn't say anything. I knew he was right. I was known as the guy who's never really had a steady relationship. It's always been one-time things that usually involved me being drunk. But this time, I was completely sober and thinking clearly. Danielle will be my girlfriend, no matter how much I have to fight for her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title: "Live While We're Young" by One Direction

Love me.