Status: Completed 7/5/2014

Left on the Sidelines

Love is Problematique

-Danielle-

"Why didn't you say yes?" Katia yelled as we were sitting in the food court at the mall. "I told you already! I've had a bad history with musicians. We just don't go well together," I said, looking around at the few people who started staring at us. "Not all musicians are the same," Jenna said, "You can't let a few bad relationships ruin your future ones." "Get over your past, Danielle," Katia added, "Because if you don't, you're never going to be happy." I stood up, "I'm just going to go back home." "Do you even know how to get there from here?" Katia asked. "I'll find my way," I mumbled, walking outside.

Katia was right. I had no clue how to get home. So, I just found some random bench at the side of the road and sat down to think.

-Ryan-

I got into the car with Jamie after saying goodbye to Ian and I started driving home. "Hey, is that Danielle?" Jamie asked randomly, pointing out my window. I looked at where he was pointing and said, "I think it is."

I pulled over and rolled my window down, "Danielle, what are you doing?" She shrugged, but didn't look up at me. "Get in the car," Jamie said. She didn't bother to argue, she simply stood up and climbed into the backseat, quietly buckling her seatbelt and staring at her hands.

"What's wrong?" I asked, glancing at her every once in a while in my rearview mirror as I started to drive again. "Nash asked me out," she replied quietly. "What's so wrong about that?" Jamie asked. "I hear you guys talking about him and his reputation," she mumbled. "Oh.." was all I managed to say. "I didn't say yes, if that's what you're concerned about, but I didn't say no either." "What do you mean?" Jamie asked. "I panicked. Katia and Jenna yelled for me, and I just ran off." "That's why he seemed mad when he left," I said quietly, hoping Danielle didn't hear me. "He was mad?" She heard me. "He wasn't necessarily mad," Jamie replied quickly, "He just wasn't very happy."

"How long?" she asked, randomly. "What do you mean?" I asked. "How long after I left did he leave?" "Right after," Jamie answered. "He hates me," she sighed. "He doesn't hate you," I said. "That would explain why he took of when I left without answering him. Yeah, he definitely doesn't hate me," she rolled her eyes.

I pulled into our driveway and Danielle took off toward the door immediately after I put my car in park. "Danielle, we're going to talk about this," I yelled as I walked through the door. "There's nothing to talk about, Ryan," she yelled back, slamming her bedroom door.

"So, uh, what's going on?" my mom asked, walking into the room. "Nothing, just things that happened tonight," I sighed. "Like what?" she asked. "I'll go talk to her," Jamie said, sprinting up the stairs. "Dating things," I answered, walking into the kitchen to get a drink.

-Danielle-

I sat at my desk, trying to clear my head when I heard someone wiggle the doorknob, then knock. "I don't want to talk to you, Ryan," I shouted. "It's not Ryan, Danielle. Please open the door," I heard Jamie beg. I sighed and stood up, walking over to the door. "What?" I asked as I opened it. He didn't say anything, just wrapped his arms around me tightly.

"What is with you and hugs?" I rolled my eyes, but hugged him back. "Just seemed like you needed one," he replied when he let go. I tried to smile, but it didn't really show up.

"So, why didn't you give Nash an answer?" Jamie asked, sitting on my bed. I went back over to where I was, sitting on the chair and propping my feet up on my desk, "I told you, I panicked." "Alright, why did you panic?" "I told you that, too. I hear what you and Ryan say about him. I know I'm only setting myself up for heartbreak if I date him," I sighed. "Well, do you want to date him?" Jamie asked. "Why are you asking so many questions? First, you and your brother seem like you want me to have nothing to do with Nash, and now, it's like you're practically begging me to date the boy!" "Look, Danielle. I'm just trying to get you to admit it. I know it's been 12 years since we've seen each other, but I can still read you like a book. You like him way more than you want to let yourself believe," he said. "Fine! I like him, alright? I really like him, but I'm serious about why I can't be with him. I'm not going to just throw myself into a relationship that I know will only end up in me getting hurt. Now, if you don't mind, I'd like to go to bed," I said, standing up. Jamie stood up as well, walking toward the door. "Nash really likes you, too, if that means anything," he said just before closing the door behind him.

I sighed before changing into my pajamas and climbing into bed. So what if I do really like Nash? I've dated enough musicians to know they're all the same, and I'm not about to let myself fall for another one.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title: "Problematique" by Hot Chelle Rae