When You're Right, You're Wrong

Hold Onto These Moments With The Grace That Has Been Given

That night Jolene and I decided to hit the bar. Even though I was still in a brace, I was sure it wouldn’t be a deterrent. I made her go out and dance while I sat at the bar and watched. She was reluctant at first but I told her I would be fine.
“Can I buy you a drink?” I turned to see a very handsome blonde haired man sitting next to me, casually resting his elbow.
“You may.” I say smiling at him. He turned to bartender and raised his hand. He then pointed at my drink then turned back to me.
“What’s a lovely lady like you doing here, all by yourself?” He asked even though it was obvious.
“I broke my knee and my friend ditched me to go dance.” I said
“How did you do that?” He asked looking at my knee.
“My last race I took a rather nasty tumble.” I reply. “Oh look there it is!” I pointed towards the TV behind the bar. I watched for probably the millionth time in the last two days, myself clip the guy behind me tire and fly forward only to have a pile of bikes land on top of me. They then flashed my picture up on the screen. The guy looked back at me with a smile on his face.
“You are very lucky.” He said.
“I’ve been told.” I smiled.
After a couple hours of random chit chat, laughing and slight pecking on the lips he finally talked me into going back to my place. Jolene wasn’t too happy about me taking a random guy back to my house without anyone else there but I didn’t care.
The cab pulled up in front of my house and we got out and started walking towards the door holding each other up. I was probably way to drunk to be doing this but oh well. I was a risk taker. I managed to get the door open and headed for the kitchen. I opened a bottle of whiskey and poured two shots. He grabbed one of them and I the other. I counted to three then together we slammed them back. That was when I blacked out.
~~
I woke up to my phone buzzing loudly on the table. I moved to grab my phone but stopped. My head was pounding. I tried again, this time succeeding. The buzzing stopped. I sighed and set my phone on the bed next to me. My phone started buzzing again. I grabbed it and put it to my ear.
“Hello?” I slurred
“Lucy! Thank god! I was fixing to send over the search team!” Jolene shouted into the phone.
“Quite! My head is pounding! Why are you calling so early?” I groaned.
“Early? Its nearly 4 in the afternoon! I’ve been trying to call you since noon!” She said.
I looked over at my clock. Sure enough it was almost 4pm. I must have been out cold for hours. I rolled over and instantly regretted it. The world started spinning. My stomach churned. I closed my eyes and prayed for it to stop.
“Lucy! Jim, Andy and I are on our way over.” Jolene said.
“Why?” I groaned.
“To check on you.” She said.
“Okay, sure.” I said then ended the call. I let my arm drop to the bed and closed my eyes.
~~
“Lucy!” Jolene shouted. I forced my eyes open to see her standing next to my bed. “How much did you drink last night?” She asked genuine concern on her face. I tried to remember the night before.
“I remember about 4 drinks at the bar then a shot at home.” I grunted.
“It looks like a whole lot more than that.” Andy said walking into the room. “Here drink this.”
“Ugh! What about that guy I brought home?” I asked trying to sip the water.
“Left a note saying you passed out shortly after you got home and put you to bed.” Jim said
“At least I won’t ever have to see him again.” I said. “Can I go back to sleep?”
“No! Do you know how dangerous that could have been?” Jolene said looking extremely pissed.
“So?” I mumbled trying to push myself under the covers.
“So, you could be dead in a ditch somewhere! He could have done horrible things to you and you wouldn’t know!” Jolene said pulling the blankets off me. I pulled my knees up to my chest and pulled the pillow over my throbbing head. “Lucy!” I sat up and turned towards her.
“I have a hangover that is making my head feel like the size of Texas while I want to throw up but I am pretty sure there is nothing left in my stomach. Can you just let me get rid of this hangover then you can yell at me.” I half shouted sitting up, which I instantly regretted it. I let myself fall back onto the bed and begged my head to quit throbbing. Jolene got out and huffed out of the room, slamming the door as she went. I flinched and grabbed my head groaning. I heard the door close again. Someone sat on the edge of my bed.
“She’s only worried about you. You seem to be self-destructing and she doesn’t want you to get seriously hurt. Or worse kill yourself.” Andy said. I figured Jim had gone to talk to Jolene.
“I’ll be fine, but honestly can I sleep off this hangover and feel all my regret tomorrow?” I asked cracking an eye open to look at him. He didn’t look happy.
“No. Now get in the shower and get dressed. We have a show to film.”
~~
Even though I was injured I still had to be there to be a cheerleader for the rest of the crew. Normally I wouldn’t mind but today I tried to stay out of the sun as much as I could. Hangovers and sun don’t mix. I only came out when I needed to be in the shot then quickly retreated when it was over. Every time I would fall asleep I was rudely awoken and water was shoved into my hand. I wasn’t allowed to take any pain meds until I complained about my knee enough that Jolene gave me an aspirin to shut me up.
“Not going to drink again, huh?” Andy asked plopping down next to me with a sandwich that he shoved in my hands. I took one loop at it and wanted to throw up. “Eat. It’ll make you feel better.” He said shoving another sandwich he had magically made appear in his face. I looked down at the sandwich again. This time my stomach growled. I took a bite and waited to see if my stomach would accept the food. When I didn’t feel nauseated I ate the rest of it.
I leaned back and looked out over the set. My eyes immediately landed on Travis and Mandy. The food in my stomach threatened to come back up.
“I think I need to head home.” I said standing up. Andy gave me a look and followed my line of sight.
“Come on, I’ll drive you.” He said.
~~
“If I let you stay home alone, promise no more drinking.” He said as he pulled into the driveway.
“I promise.” I replied opening the door and getting out. I could feel his eyes on my back the whole way as I hobbled to the door. As soon as I was inside, I broke.
I dropped my crutches to the ground and let myself slide against the wall to the floor. Tears were flooding my eyes. I didn’t know what to do anymore. Maybe Andy was right. Maybe I was self-destructing. Maybe it was this damn hangover and that’s why seeing Travis and Mandy together had caused this. Isn’t that what I’ve done after every other guy? I just wanted to sleep. I wanted to get this day over with.
I grabbed my crutches and hauled myself off the floor. Slowly I hobbled up the stairs and to my room. I went into the bathroom and grabbed the bottle of sleeping pills my doctor had giving me for the nights I was too nervous to sleep. I took a pill out and swallowed it with a swig of water.
I walked towards my bed, pill bottle in hand, setting it down on the dresser. Then I started the slow task of getting my pjs on. As soon as I pulled my shirt on, I could barely keep my eyes open. I put my head on the pillow and was out.
I woke up and looked at the clock not sure of what had happened. I had been out for about 10 hours. My whole body hurt. Not a physical pain but a deep ache starting in my chest. Instantly everything came flooding back. I grabbed the pill bottle and took another one. This one worked faster.
When I woke again, the sun was shinning brightly. I groaned and rolled over, trying to bury my head in the mess of pillows and blankets. The ache came back. My whole body felt heavy. I decided I had slept enough and turned on the TV.
“Travis Pastrana and Mandy James have been getting pretty cozy lately.” The first guy said just as a picture of the two showed up on the screen.
“In our last interview, Travis hinted at a possible marriage proposal.” The second guy said.
“I wonder how Lucy McDade is taking all of this.” The first guy asked. I turned off the TV quickly and threw the remote as hard as I could at the wall, watching as it broke into tiny pieces. I just couldn’t escape these two! I was hoping Travis would dump her soon and things would go back to normal. But what was normal? Travis and I together again?
No! I didn’t want to think about that. Not ever! There was no way I was going back there until she was gone. Would anyone even miss me? That was doubtful. I was the self-destructing girl who couldn’t handle her own problems. Why would they miss someone like that? Plus if I was gone Travis wouldn’t have to worry about me anymore. Mandy, of course, would be happy. That was what I would do. I would take myself out of the picture. I grabbed the bottle of sleeping pills and poured the whole bottle out in my hand before tossing a few in my mouth at a time and downing them. Soon I had the whole bottle down. I got up and turned on the TV for something to put me to sleep. They were still talking about Travis and Mandy. Someone had come up with a name for them. Trandy! Oh how I wasn’t ever going to miss that! I felt my eyes getting heavy. I let them close, welcoming the sleep that would take me away.
♠ ♠ ♠
**I do not condone Suicide. It tears families apart and doesn't solve anything. The only thing it accomplishes is to leave the rest feeling empty and they will never be able to fill the hole. I know because I have experience Suicide first hand. I have lost a loved one and have to live with that pain every day. Someone who commits Suicide isn't in their right minds and just wants the pain to go away. So please don't make any nasty comments as you will be deleted and reported.

"Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse. Suicide eliminates the possibility of it getting better." - Anonymous