Status: In-Progress

A Girl With a Broken Smile

And so it Begans.

It was quarter to nine when Blair showed up at my door. She was currently freaking on how amazing I looked. I just passed it off as her being nice though. We both knew that no matter what, she’d always look the best out of the two of us. I sighed and grabbed my little black handbag, before quickly making my way out of the house. I was trying my hardest to not make any noise, but Blair couldn’t seem to shut up for more than two seconds. Mark was passed out drunk on the couch, beer bottle on the floor, and remote hanging loosely in his hand.

“Are you ready to have some fun?” Blair practically screamed into my ear. I just rolled my eyes, but nodded. No, I was not ready to have some fun with a bunch of drunken teenagers. Why would I want to hang out with a group of people that think I’m a freak? I didn’t understand Blair sometimes, but it was best to just go along with it.

“Who knows, you might just find a guy there.” Blair said as she wiggled her eyebrows at me. I knew right then and there that she was up to no good.

“Did you set something up?” My voice came off as somewhat cold. Blair giggled and shrugged, before pulling me into her car.

“And what if I did?” She asked as she started up her BMW. A car her daddy bought her when she passed her first drug test. “Come on Anna, you need to live a little.”

Live a little? How the hell am I supposed to live a little, when I’m pretty much dying on the inside?! Okay, how about you try to live a little when you killed your mother, and your father hates you. Yeah, it’s not so easy! I wanted to scream all of that at her, but I just sighed, and rested my head against the cool glass of the window. She just doesn’t understand that’s all. Yeah, keep telling yourself that Anna.

No, this was Blair I was talking about. If anyone understood, it would be her. Then again, no one else knew about my secret, and I was going to keep it that way, but still. She understood, right? Of course she did.

It only took about ten minutes to get there, and soon we arrived at a big beautiful white house. Lights filled each room, and the street was crowded with cars, and random people. Wait a minute; these people looked about two years older than us. I honestly don’t believe I’ve ever seen them before in my life. They had to be college students. What kind of party is this? Without even saying anything I shot a single glare at Blair, who just through her hands up in the air.

“Okay, you got me.” She laughed. “My brother told me about this party, he said that he wasn’t going to be going, but I could if I wanted to.” She explained. “I actually know a handful of people here, but I do have someone I want you to meet.”

Blair’s brother was always kind of nice to me. When my mother passed away I basically lived at her house for about two weeks. I was too scared to go home, and I honestly couldn’t walk more than two feet with falling to my knees, and crying my eyes out. So after awhile Trevor become somewhat of an older brother to me. He was always there for me when I needed him, but that all changed once he got into high school. Blair and I were still in eighth grade when he got into ninth. I guess he just figured he was too cool for us, and we haven’t really talked since. Sometimes I wish he was still like my older brother. He was better at talking then Blair would ever be.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by someone shoving a finger into my side.

“Dude, I thought I lost you for a second there,” Blair laughed as she got out of the car. I quickly took in a few deep breathes, before stepping out as well. The cool night air felt good against my warm skin. It smelt crisp and clean. As much as I would have loved to just stay out here and take it all in, Blair was already pulling me towards the large house.

The minute we walked in I was hit with a strong smell. It was like there was a war going on between the alcohol, cigarette smoke, weed, and perfume. Let’s just say that perfume was losing. Loud music filled the house, along with college students as far as the eye could see. Most of them seemed to already be slightly buzzed. I just sighed, and glanced around the place. It was pretty obvious that these people had a lot of money. The entrance alone was amazing, and I couldn’t wait to see the rest of the place. The ceiling was high up, with a large chandelier hanging in the middle. In front of it stood a large marble staircase that split off into two different directions. To the left of us looked to be a large kitchen. I couldn’t see it all, but from the looks of it, it looked as if I could fit my whole house in there. And then off to the right must have been the living room, which was where we were heading now.

“This place is amazing!” I shouted loud enough for Blair to hear me over the booming music. “Whose is it?” I asked.

“My brother’s friends,” She said back into my ear. “Just wait until you see him.” She giggled, before making her way through the crowd.

I wasn’t a huge fan of meeting new people, but that’s what you get when you go to a party. Blair loved introducing me to new people. She said she wanted to try to get me out of my shell. I secretly thought it was a way to get rid of me. I wouldn’t tell her that though, instead I just sighed and nodded.

It probably took us fifteen minutes to get to the back of the room, although it felt like an hour to me. Blair kept stopping and talking to random people. At times she tried to introduce me to them, but they just kind of shrugged it off. It bothered me a little, but I didn’t really care all too much. I was use to this kind of thing. As I’ve said before, Blair and I are two completely different people. Meaning her friends are very different from me as well. Oh well, I don’t really want to have a bunch of druggy friends anyways.

Finally when we got to the back of the large living room we stepped out the sliding glass door, once again the fresh air wrapping itself around me. I took in a deep breath, not even realizing that we weren’t the only ones out here. A deep voice snapped me out of my thoughts, and I twisted around.

“So, would this be the amazing Anna that you’ve been talking about?” A guy asked.

I stared for a moment, not really sure what to think. He was sitting up on the railing, a drink in one hand, and a cigarette in the other. Great, another druggy I thought as I rolled my eyes mentally. There was one thing I couldn’t shake though. This guy was beautiful, which was different from a lot of the guys Blair had me talk to. He had shaggy brown hair that fell slightly feel in front of his light blue eyes. He had a nice strong jaw line that suited him well. He had the most amazing smile ever, with perfect white teeth. A strong face with just the right amount of facial hair. He was tall and from what I could see nice muscles, but nothing too big. He was wearing a nice pair of jeans, and a white button up shirt with the top two buttons open. He topped it off nice black blazer.

God, I didn’t even know how I wasn’t drooling by now. I must have had a shocked look on my face or something, because he was holding back a laugh.

“I would be Matthew, welcome to my party.” Hesaid as he held out a hand. I didn’t even think twice before I was already shaking it.

Wait, this was his party? That means that this was his house! So, he had a lot of money, and he was hot, what was better than that?! That’s when I realized that Blair wanted me to meet someone, her brother’s friend. So, was the person him then, or was this some sort of sick prank? I just didn’t understand why Blair would want to introduce me to him. Blair could easily get him, and he was her type, so why was she letting me have that chance?

Ha, yeah right. I don’t have a chance. Maybe that’s why she was doing this then. She probably knew that I didn’t stand a chance and she was just trying to be nice. I just sighed and shook it off for now. I was most likely just overreacting like I usually do.

“Do you not speak?” Matthew asked, eyeing me.

I nodded the sudden strength to talk quickly vanishing.

“Ye-yeah.” I chocked. Matthew laughed, I blushed.