Status: In-Progress

A Girl With a Broken Smile

The Manager

You know how nice it feels when you wake up to the sound of birds chirping in the air, and the smell of fresh air filling the room? Yeah, well this morning was not like that at all. I ended up getting woken up to the sound of something wet hitting the ground, and the smell of vomit flooding my nostrils. I nearly threw up myself.

Blair was kneeling in the front seat, hanging out the open window. She kind of looked like she was convulsing, the way her back kept moving. I watched her for a moment, before my stomach couldn’t take it anymore; I had to get out of this car. I needed fresh air, or I would be doing the same thing she was doing.

It felt amazing to breath in fresh air again. That car was starting to get really stuffy, even if it didn’t have the scent of vomit filling it. I took in a few deep breaths, before walking over to the hose, and turning the water on. I needed to clean up the driveway before Mark saw and got angry about it. Right when I was about to hose it off, I saw him in the window glaring at me. I bit my lip a little, before quickly washing off the vomit, and pulling Blair out of the car.

“You need to leave.” I said rather harshly.

Blair gave me an odd look, before crossing her arms over her chest, and shaking her head a little. Please don’t do this right now.

“I need water, besides we had plans today.” Blair argued.

“Well things changed, I need to help my father with something. Please Blair, you need to go home. I’ll call you later.” I was practically begging now.

“Let me have some water, and then I’ll go.” She huffed.

At this point she was really starting to piss me off. She was hung-over, and probably had a headache, therefore taking all out on me. I growled, before picking up the hose and tossing it to her.

“There!” I said through me teeth. “Drink from that, and leave.”

Blair narrowed her eyes, and quickly dropped the hose. I could tell that she was rather upset with me right now, but I didn’t care. She was being stubborn and refused to leave. She’d get over it later, besides I was the one who should be mad. Not her, right?

Finally she grabbed the keys from my hand, and stomped around to the driver’s side, and got in.

“You’re being a real bitch you know that?” Blair spat, before pealing out of the driveway.

I just sighed, and watched her speed down the road, not really caring at this point. She was the last thing I needed to worry about right now. Slowly I entered the house, my head lowered, staring at the floor beneath me. Please, just leave me alone.

Before I knew it I was being thrown into the wall behind me. I quickly shut my eyes, before I felt that first hard smack across my face. I didn’t scream however, nor did I cry. I couldn’t cry, because if I did I was just letting him win. I could feel his hot breath on my face, and I slowly opened one eye.

“Did you see what you did to my driveway?!” He screamed, the smell of liquor filling the air around me.

“I cleaned it up.” My words came out in a whisper.

He just glared down at me, before grabbing my wrist, and pulling me down the hall. I tried my hardest to fight back, but his strength over powered mine by a long shot. Finally with all my strength I spun around, kicking him hard between the legs. His grip loosened and he went down, but he still wouldn’t let go of me. I tried to pull away again, but his fist end up heading straight towards my stomach. I let out a sharp yelp, falling to my knees beside him. He didn’t even think twice before picking me up by my hair and dragging me farther down the hall like a ragdoll.

The rest was just a blur to me. For the most part I’ve managed to block everything out. From his hits, to the way he touches me at times. I’ve learned to just accept it all. Figuring that my life was probably always going to be like this. All I could see was a dark figure draped over mine. His thrusts doing nothing to me, but bring tears to my eyes. I didn’t fight it though. I knew better then to fight it.

Finally he got off me, leaving me alone, naked on his bed. It felt like he was doing these things forever, but it was only ten minutes. My eyes were locked on the ceiling, nothing going through my head, but utter darkness. I felt numb on the inside, yet I could still feel where his hands had touched me. It burnt my skin, making my head spin a little. I should be use to this by now, yet I could always feel the burn afterward.

**********


It’s been week since the last time I talked to Blair, and two weeks into summer vacation. I did my work around the house, trying my hardest to stay on Mark’s good side, and to keep my mind off things. Still, I missed Blair. Every time I tried to talk to her over AIM she’d log off, whenever I’d try to call her, she’d let it go to voicemail. Leaving a voicemail or a text was stupid, she never replied to them.

Yeah, it was safe to say that Blair was my only friend, and I was basically lost without her. I needed to find a way to get my mind off of all this. Working around the house was not doing it for me; perhaps I should get a real job? Maybe save up some money, and move out of this shitty town. Yes, that sounded like a perfect idea. Hopefully there were places hiring around here.

An hour or two later, and after I finished cleaning up everything I slipped out the front door. Mark was passed out on the couch, and most likely wouldn’t be waking up until dinner, so I had some time to walk around for a bit. I decided that my first job would be the pet shop down the street.

Today I was wearing a pair of nice black dress pants, and a red top to go with it. It was a nice day out, and I could have gone without a jacket, but I decided to take one with me anyways. I didn’t want them to see my bruises that were still fresh on my arms. My hair was pulled back into a ponytail, and I even took the time to throw on some make-up too. Even if I was just going in for an application, I still wanted to look nice.

Soon I made it to the pet store, and walked through the automatic doors. The fresh sent of bedding and various feed filling my nose. The sounds of birds chirping, and puppies whimpering made me smile a little. Yes, this was the perfect place for me to work. I had to have this job. It was perfect for me.

Slowly I walked towards the back of the store, searching out costumer service, but having a hard time doing so. This pet store was huge, and with so many isles, and different animals catching my eye made it rather hard to concentrate. That was until I heard a voice come from behind me.

“Do you need any help?” A male voice asked.

“Umm… Yes, where is costumer ser…” I was completely taken back when I turned around. Standing in front of me was the guy from that party last week. His messy brown hair falling perfectly around his nicely shaped face. That amazing smirk placed against his perfect lips. God, how I wanted to kiss those lips. No! Wait, what the hell was I thinking?!

Once I managed to snap out of my thoughts and glance up at him I couldn’t help but to blush a little. He was just standing there, smiling down at me as if he knew what I was thinking. I had to look away, but I couldn’t. I already embarrassed myself enough; I had to face him now. No running away. Quickly I cleared my throat, and started again.

“Where is costumer service?” I finally managed to get out, but it turned out to be somewhat shaky. His smile widened, and my blush deepened.

“You walked straight past it. When you first walk through the doors, it’s towards your right. Is there still anything I can help you with though? I am the manager here.” He said pointing towards the little pin on his shirt that read manager below his name.

My heart skipped a beat. Manager? How the hell was I suppose to work here now?!