Status: Sorry for the super long hiatus, I should have an update tomorrow!

The Right Partner

A new friend.

A week had passed since Florence first spoke with Doctor Erskine. A solid week had passed since her entire life had been uprooted and simplified further. After leaving the recruiment office she had rushed home to speak to her father. Finding him once more passed out, she had to undertake the intensive task of waking him. The burbon on his breath hit her full force as she prepared herself mentally for conversation that was to unfold. It took three hours, a lot of yelling, some crying and her final statement.

"Pop, I'm leaving. I'm doing this for you, and I'm doing this for me. Please be sober when I get back."

She left him with a kiss on the forehead and a small envelope filled with fifty dollars from her last job. Even now she didn't feel any twinges or pangs of homesickness. She knew this was exactly where she needed to be. The first few days on base had been far from exciting. All she had done so far was be segregated into her own special bunk, and eat alone in the mess hall. Not a single person spoke to her, but she did get stared at relentlessly. So far everything had just been lonely. This should have been expected, in all honesty. A woman training in combat? Unheard of even in times of a World War. Training hadn't even officially began yet. There was a small gym on base that was available for use during specific hours, but she had yet to venture in there yet. She figured a few days without torment or mocking would be nice. Today was the big day...what she had been waiting for since she decided to enlist.

Rolling her shoulders, she stood from her cot and quickly changed from her sleepwear into her simple teeshirt and army sanctioned pants. Quickly brushing on some rouge and subtle lip color Florence braided her hair into a long plait and wandered towards the door. Ten minutes until she needed to line up. Grabbing her helmet as she walked outside, she took in the warm sun and the light breeze.

I'm ready for this. Don't let them convince you otherwise Flo. You're just as good as any man. You're lighter on your feet. You can run without making a sound. You have stealth. You're stronger than you look. Just breathe. You can do this. I can do this.

Every man turned to watch her as she walked passed, most with confusion and amusement painted on their faces. A few catcalls echoed through the yard followed by the laughter of different men. Ignoring it all she marched towards the group lining up. Squaring her shoulders she fell in next to a brute of a man who didn't hide the fact he was oggling her. Rolling her eyes she turned to snap at him.

"Attention!"

Turning quickly forward her eyes fell onto a beautiful woman who had a very stern expression etched onto her face. The woman scanned the group stopping briefly on Florence, at whom she smiled ever so lightly, then onwards down the line stopping once more. She walked in front of them and an older man fell into place behind her handing out clipboards.

"Gentlemen, I'm Agent Carter. I supervise all operations of this division." Her accent threw Florence off for a moment. She's British? How odd... The surprise must have not only been for her since the brute next to her spoke up.

"What's with the accent, Queen Victoria? Thought I was signing up for the U.S. Army." His arrogance oozed from his voice about as much as his sleezy personality did. Ugh. Men like him are the reason I want to fight. To prove he isn't the only one who can.

Ms. Carter must have shared some semblance of those thoughts as annoyance passed over her face. "What's your name, soldier?"

"Gilmore Hodge, your Majesty." Stepping up directly in front of him, she quickly glances around.

"Step forward, Hodge." He does as she says with an arrogant strut to match his personality.

"Put your right foot forward." He followed that order as well. "Are we going to wrestle? Cause I got a few moves I know you'll like."

Agent Carter's fist slammed into his nose and Hodge went crumpling to the gound. A loud giggle escaped Florence's lips as a jeep pulled up behind Agent Carter. The older woman glances at the giggling girl and smiles briefly before straightening herself and her uniform.

"Agent Carter!" She quickly turns to attention and salutes him.

"Colonel Phillips!" He walks passed her and notices the man on the ground. "I see you're breaking in the new candidates. That's good." Col. Phillips looks down at Hodge. "Get your ass up out of that dirt and stand in line at attention until someone tells you otherwise." Another snicker falls from Florence's lips as she tries to keep quite. The man glances down the row of men until they land on her and he freezes. Sighing he turns around and begins pacing before them.

"General Patton has said that wars are fought with weapons but they are won by men. We are going to win this war because we have the best men." A long pause follows as he looks at two very specific people standing at attention. Neither make a move to say anything against it, nor do they seem to acknowledge each other. "And because they're gonna get better. Much better. The Strategic Scientific Reserve is an allied effort made up of the best minds in the free world. Our goal is to create the best army in history. But every army starts with one man."

Doctor Erskine stands beside Agent Carter watching his two recruits to see how they're doing. He notices they both have the same determined look on their faces as the day he met them. Though for different reazons, zey will be excellent together.

"At the end of this week we will choose that man. He will be the first in a new breed of super-soldiers. And they, will personally escort Adolf Hitler to the gates of Hell."

He dismisses them to do laps as he walks over to the doctor and Agent Carter. "Doctor, what the hell are you doing? Why is there a ninety pounds asthmatic on my base? And more importantly, why is there a ninety pound woman on my base?"

Doctor Erskine just smiled. "I have a plan for ze two of them. Do not question me right now sir." Walking a bit further away to watch them run, Agent Carter just smiled. "I would trust him this time Colonel. He sees something we don't." Col. Phillips just sighed once more and followed the new recruits.

______________________________________________

Four days of the same intensive training left Florence mentally and physically exhausted. She had currently broken six noses, delievered ten smacks to the face, and a few scattered kicks to the groin. The men couldn't seem to grasp that she wasn't a floozy or some easy dame. She managed to keep up on the training field rather well. At least when it came to the running and the rope climbing course. The shuffling through the mud on her elbows was rough since the gun was a bit too large for her dainty frame. She was doing better than that kid though. Steve Rogers. It had been bothering her all week why she couldn't seem to remember where she had met him. He wasn't too much to look at, but she did have to admit he had the bluest eyes.

I've seen those eyes somewhere before...The Expo! The peanuts! That was him!

Laughing at her sudden realization she quickly showered and got ready for the day. Walking into the mess hall she scanned the crowd for the familiar blonde hair. Grabbing her food she moved towards the table he was sitting at alone.

"Hello Steve. It's nice to see you again."

Dropping his fork he looked up. Confusion was quickly replaced by embarassment as he fumbled for his utensils.

"He-hello Florence. I had no idea you were enlisting. Why would a dame like you want to fight? I mean...not that you're a dame or anything. I mean- Why don't you sit down?"

Giggling slightly she sat across from him. "No need to be nervous Steve. We're comrades, we can talk. I didn't know you were enlisting either. Did you enjoy the rest of the Expo that night?"

After a few minutes of harmless chit chat, Florence came to a startling realization. "Steve, you have absolutely no idea how to talk to a woman do you?" She smiled and nudged him across the table. He just blushed and looked down, then mumbled some response.

"What was that? You're going to have to speak up!" She decided it was far too entertaining poking harmless fun at him to stop now. "I said this is the longest conversation I've had with one so far. Women aren't exactly lining up to talk to a guy like me." Obviously a tender topic, she decided it was best to move on from it.

"Well you don't see me running do you? Tell me about those doodles I saw you doing before I sat down?" Nodding towards his closed notepad and pen, she waited for him to answer.

The conversation was easy after that. Simple, safe topics that didn't require either of them to delve too deeply into their own lives. With just moments left of their meal break, Florence stopped.
I think I just made my first friend here.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is kind of just a filler chapter. I'm sorry I didn't post yesterday! I wound up being exhausted after work. Anyway! I've already had one comment from the lovely AnotherDirectioner! Also 5 subscribers! HOLY CRAP GUYS! You're awesome!!! Please keep giving me feedback!

<3
I'll try to get the next chapter out in the next day or two.