Status: Sorry for the super long hiatus, I should have an update tomorrow!

The Right Partner

Spark of something new.

Five days passed in the same routine for Florence. Wake up, eat quickly, go through training, eat with Steve, and go back to her bunk for lights out. She would sit awake at night though, unable to quiet her racing mind. She and Steve had formed an unusual friendship, but one that made complete sense. They were both the outcasts, smiled upon and given a chance by the kind Dr. Erskine. The two had quickly bonded over a love of art and kind things. She couldn't help but smile at his charm and demeanor. Steve Rogers was a really swell guy once you got to know him. He began to open up and laugh more, though she was sure he would always be stumbling over himself when he spoke. It did nothing but add to his personality in her mind. She hated to admit it, but over the week she had grown attached to him in an odd way. Pushing aside everything going on in her head, she remembered why she was there.

The men were still uncomfortable with a woman being amongst their ranks, let alone one who had actually started beating them during certain tasks. She had to admit, she was really quick. Florence could vault up a wall with almost no effort now, and running was about the same. The brute from the first day, Hodge, couldn't stand it. He constantly was trying to cause problems for Steve and herself. Anything from kicking the poles down in the mud course to blatantly laughing in their faces. He was furious when Steve had managed to get the flag down. It hadn't been done in almost twenty years apparently, and all he had to do was pull two pins and push. Ms. Carter just smiled to herself and turned around to avoid laughing at the other men's reactions. Hodge was steaming by the time we got back and Florence had barely broken a sweat. Tomorrow was the day when the candidate would be chosen for the super-soldier serum thing. The details were not known amongst the troops, but everyone assumed it would be Hodge.

Great, that's all we need. A super strong, stupid buff bully.

Quickly unbraiding her hair, Florence went to brush her teeth. Putting away her things and setting out her clothes for the morning, she fell onto her bed in an ungraceful heap and quickly fell asleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Standing in formation next to Steve, Florence tapped her toes to an unheard beat. They were waiting on Ms. Carter to begin. As soon as she showed up the group quickly began doing push ups. Both Florence and Steve were having a difficult time and they could both feel Col. Phillips unamused gaze burning into them as he approached.

Col. Phillips stopped by a vehicle near the group with Dr. Erskine.

“You're not really thinking about picking Rogers, are you?”

The german native quirked his eyebrows. “ I am more than just thinking about it. He is the clear choice.”

“When you brought a ninety pounds asthmatic onto my army base, I let it slide. I thought, what the hell? Maybe he'll be useful to you, like a gerbil. I never thought you'd pick him.”

Peggy looked over at the men and quickly commanded the soldiers to get up. Florence and Steve both looked at the other quickly then stood at attention. At her second command, they all began doing jumping jacks.

Col. Phillips sigh in exasperation. “ Stick a needle in that kids arm and it's gonna go right through him. Look at that...he's going to make me cry.”

“ I am looking for qualities beyond the physical.”

Florence kept up with the jumping jacks at a bored pace, barely breaking a sweat. Steve struggled immensely beside her, but at her reassuring smile he managed to keep going.

“What about that woman? Why is she still here?”

Doctor Erskine gazed at the petite redhead and smiled slightly. “She has proven herself, has she not? She has managed to keep up with the men with little effort and she can seemingly outlast them all. I have bigger plans for her than just being a soldier. You'll just have to wait and see.”

Annoyance spread across the Colonel's face. “Do you know how long it took to set up this project? All the groveling I did to that senator? Throw me a bone. Hodge has passed every test we threw at him. He's big, he's fast, he obeys orders. He's a soldier.”

“He is a bully.”

“You don't win wars with niceness, doctor. You win it with guts.” Reaching into the truck behind him, Col. Phillips pulled out a grenade and throws it towards the recruits.

“Grenade!”

Looking wildly around, all the men scatter. Steve gently shoved Florence out of the way and threw his body on top of the grenade.

“Steve!” Florence quickly rose to her feet and started to run to his side.

“No! Get back!” He curled tighter into himself on the ground.

After the few seconds that felt like a lifetime, Florence moved closer. The men who had scattered slowly rose from their hiding spots. Steve, noticing he was still around and not in a million pieces, uncurled and shakily stood up with Florence's help.

“It was a dummy grenade.” Someone muttered around the group.

Steve, looking confused and still slightly shaken looked towards Col. Phillips.
“Is this a test?”

Dr. Erskine smiled at Steve and shot a smug look to the man beside him. Once more Col. Phillips huffed a sigh.

“Well...he's still skinny.”

As the two men walk away, Florence looks over at Steve. He's staring in the direction of the men, but his eyes are unfocused.

“Steve?”

Her soft voice seems to pull him out of his stupor and he quickly blushes and smiles.

“Sorry, lost in thought. Ready to grab some food? I think we're done for the day.” He awkwardly motions to the other men leaving and fails to notice Peggy watching them both with a knowing smile. Florence smiles and nods, grabbing the crook of his arm and leading him to the mess hall. As they walk she jokingly lectures him about the dangers of jumping on a live grenade, and instructs him never to do it again.

“After all Steve, if you're gone...who will make fun of Hodge with me? Surely not any of the men around here.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm SO SO SO sorry it took so long to get this out. My life has been....crazy to say the least. But I'm back, and I'm already working on the next chapter. Thank you for the feedback guys! I love hearing from you.

Also, I'm not 100% happy with this one...it's a lot of filler mostly. Meh. The next one should be more exciting though! I'll try and get it out in the next day or so.

-H