A Twist In My World

Chapter 2

He was trying to…protect me? This came to me as a shock he is dead and I’m alive. On top of that we just met each other; if you can even call this meeting.
I looked up at him, “Are you talking about Tasha, Cody’s dead girlfriend? Tasha is his guardian spirit. She wouldn’t cause any trouble unless you threatened Cody in some way.”
He didn’t reply, so I asked, “What’s your name?”
“Dusan,” he said as he disappeared.
“You need to stop doing that…I don’t like not knowing where you are.” I complained. “By the way it’s Serena.”
He chuckled from some part of the apartment, I could have known, but I was too tired to care. I walked into my room and curled up under the blankets on my bed.
“The light,” I growled remembering that I didn’t turn it off.
I glared at the light switch not wanting to get out of bed.
Dusan appeared in my doorway. He looked at me then at the light switch and back to me. He smiled and the light went out.
“Thanks,” I said as I started to drift.
I blinked and he was standing next to my bed; I could feel him petting my head, “Please remember, Serena, please remember me.”
I fell into sleep as soon as Dusan had said that.
It was a memory of mine from last year. I was standing on the beach losing myself in the sunset. There was someone standing next to me it was…Dusan. Wait it can’t be him or can it? If so then…then Dusan was my first love.
I awoke sitting up in bed. I pulled my knees close to my chest resting my head on them. Could this really be happening? I mean I could be true. We did talk from time to time, but I never caught his name real name, everyone just called him Dus.
“Dus?” I called out to see if this was really happening.
“I haven’t heard that name in a long time.” He said not appearing.
“How many years has it been?”
“Sense I had to changed schools. So about three years.”
Old memories flooded my mind bring tears to my eyes. I was glad that I had my hair over my face, so they were hidden.
“How long ago was it? I mean sense you have died?” I asked looking in the direction of my closet.
“It’s only been about six months, why?” he said confused.
I smiled and climbed out of bed, “If there was a possible way would you want to live again?”
“Of course but there isn’t a way.” Dusan said appearing beside me.
“But there is…normally it would be a life for a life, but in my case it would be my gift for your life.” I said pulling a book from the moving boxes.
He stood there in amazement, “You would do that for me?”
I nodded tears filling my eyes again. “You see Dusan… I have loved you sense the first time we met, and back then I was too scared to talk to you. If I remember correctly I ignored you a lot in the halls. I couldn’t stand the thought of our becoming close and you laughing at me because I told you of my gift.”
I was waiting for him to laugh at me and deny my love, but Dusan just smiled, “In truth I always liked you from the start. I didn’t know how I truly felt until I was too late. I had already changed schools, and I when had finally received word from a friend telling me where you were. I was going to go see you as a surprise visit, but there was a fire that night. I had a choice to make, it was both me and the baby or it was me. When I looked down at her and looked in her mixed colored eyes with her brown hair. I couldn’t let her die she reminded me so much of you. I made the suicidal jump, because if we both couldn’t live I wanted her to live and have a happy life.”
“Then it’s final.” I said wiping the tears from my tears. “We’re going to give you your life back.”
“I can’t let you do that.” He said ripping the book from my hands.
“I want to…I want to you to be alive again! I told myself I’d do anything to have you back in my life and now I have the chance to fix things.”
“You are giving up your ability to see spirits and help people. What are you going to do without it?”
“I’m sacrificing something to receive someone I love in life. I believe it is a fair trade, do you not? As for what I’m going to do after I lose my gift. I’m going to college to become a lawyer.”
Dusan didn’t say anything he just looked at me.
“Please,” I begged stepping toward him.
“Are you truly okay with this?” he asked.
I nodded picking the book up off the floor.
He smiled, “Alright then what are we doing?”
I flipped through the book finding the page I needed. I read:
With these words I wish to bring the one I love back. Back from the dead, back to my side, and back into my arms for me to hold. I give you my powers of seeing and hearing the dead in return for their life.
We read these words out loud together and waited. Dusan faded from my sight and I could no longer hear him. I sat on the couch and waited.
It had been half an hour and Dusan had still not become human. I began to worry. What if it doesn’t work and I lost my power for no good reason? I shook my head, no I can’t think like that.
Then something smashed against the floor in the back of the apartment.
“Damn it, that hurt.” It was Dusan’s voice.
I jumped up and ran to the back of the apartment and found him on the floor. He flashed his dorky smile at and I wrapped my arms around him.
“I thought I wasn’t going to work.” I mumbled into his shoulder.
“Me too.” He said pulling me in to a tight hug.
We have been together ever sense. We never stray too far from one another. Neither of us could take being away from the other for too long.
I finished law schools and Dusan went on to become a mechanic. Soon after we started a family; Janine our first born, Damon our second born, and our third is on the way we haven’t decided on the name just yet.