Wake the Dead.

Rotten.

Fernie, they came tonight. They came and they devoured everyone whole, but I got away. I managed to narrowly escape one’s clawing hands and gnashing teeth--Its eyes were pale white and green, bloodshot and tired looking. I didn’t know what to do… I just kicked it, I kicked at it and it tried to bite me. I’m not sure exactly what they are or what it is, but they’re in and out of the house. Uncle Dan said that we must shoot them in the head. When I asked him what they were, he replied ‘the dead.’ Which makes no sense, how can the dead be doing this? These are drug addicts, the work of terrorists… Or something!

“Monsters,” Grandma June had said.

“Cannibals!” Mom exclaimed, frantic, then she screamed. One got her, then they got Grandma June and then Uncle Dan shot one in the head and it went down and didn’t get back up. Yet when he shot the other one that was coming for him, he missed and hit its shoulder. It groaned the groans that were sounding outside and then grabbed him. Six of them are in the house, Fernie, and they ate everyone. ‘The head!’ is repeating in my own head but I can’t bring myself to do that. I recognize some of these people, big sister, some of them are from our school. I didn’t realize it at first, but it’s true. There’s Mrs. Whitaker, Franky Marvenplatte-- my good friend Mable.

Fernie, I don’t know where you are, but wherever you are, I hope its safe and I hope you’re safe and I hope none of these ravenous people got you. I’m going to go out there and try to get a flashlight, Dan’s shot gun, and a bottle of water or something. I have to unlock the door and avoid the monsters, but I’m scared. I’m terrified because everyone is gone. I don’t want to be gone, and I don’t want to disappoint anyone. I’ll be back, I’ll continue this letter beneath the line…
----------

I’m back. I know this probably won’t get found but I just feel like it’s the only way to keep a sort of level head without going crazy. I avoided them, all of them. Zombies are what they’re all being called, and they are the dead. They’re the walking dead, Fernie. I gathered up a bag of clothes, a water bottle, Uncle Dan’s shot gun and some food. I couldn’t find a flashlight, but that’s okay because I don’t want to attract attention.

I don’t know how to say this because I know we don’t always get along, but I adore you. You are and were the best big sister I could have asked for and I love you for that. I’m not feeling too well after one of the monsters bit me, but I’ll be fine. Won’t I? Of course I will… I feel so hot.

I hope I see you soon.

Love me always,

Evelyn Lou.
♠ ♠ ♠
sigh i love this

I mean maybe it is a bit short but it's EXACTLY five-hundred words, the maximum for these stories.
Hmmph
comment what you think?
(the layout is great)