Pieces Mended

004

-Madi's POV-

I spent an hour getting ready for the party. Most of the time, I was messing with my old camera trying to figure out how I could take the best pictures possible with it. I quickly slipped into a dark pair of skinny jeans and a silky maroon tank top, before slipping on a gold chain necklace. My mom walked into the bathroom while I was fixing my purple beanie over my curly, dark brown hair.

"How late will you be out tonight?" She asked, taking a seat on the edge of the bath tub.

"I'm not sure," I sighed, knowing she wouldn't like the answer. "I'll probably head home once people start passing out."

"You know I don't like you out that late."

"I know, mom. It's only a couple blocks away. I'll be okay," I reassured her, while pulling on black booties over my pale feet. They gave me a good five extra inches on my normal 5'2" height.

She sighed in defeat, standing up and kissing me on the forehead. "You look beautiful. Have fun tonight."

I smiled and nodded as I applied red lipstick. Grabbing my leather jacket and bulky yellow purse off the couch, I walked out the door. The sun was already setting as I walked to the house the party was located at. It was more than a few blocks away, but I lied to keep my mother from worrying. There was a good chance that I wouldn't be leaving until the wee hours of the morning.

I wasn't much of a partier myself. I'd probably drink some while I was there, but not even enough to get a buzz. I really just wanted, more like needed, the money, and he was willing to pay a pretty penny. The host was one of the most popular kids in school and for whatever reason wanted to make sure everyone always knew. So he hired me to take pictures so that he could shove them in everyone's face. It was pathetic really, but whatever.

I arrived at the party rather early. Darren, the host of the party, was standing in the kitchen ordering around some kids, who looked to be 13 or 14, around in the kitchen. They were setting up coolers for the alcohol and food for the guests. I wasn't sure where his parents would be all night, but knowing them, they were out of state. His father had a lot of family in California that he liked to visit often. The only reason I know this is because Darren and I were very close growing up, until high school. Not that I really cared, we just grew apart.

"Hey Darren," I stepped into the kitchen.

"Oh, hey Madi," Darren looked surprised to see me already. "You're early. No one else is here, but these dweebs, and the band is setting up in the living room."

"I didn't want to walk in the dark."

"Typical Madi, afraid of the dark," he teased, laughing under his breath.

I rolled my eyes. "You're having a band?" I asked, intrigued.

"Yeah, a couple of them went to our school two years ago. They're cool and were willing to play for cheap." I nodded. "Hey! You better not fucking drop that!" Darren became distracted by the children, pretty much forgetting I was standing there.

I took it upon myself to give myself a tour around the house to see what he all had going on. In the dining room was two kegs and a beer pong table. Upstairs, his parent's room was locked. I assumed he locked on the important belongings in there. I found my way into his room, which looked exactly the same as it did when he was a child. Same blue paint, same black comforter. I'm sure his bed was just as comfy, too, but I didn't get a chance to test it out.

I heard a crash coming from the living room and rushed down the stairs to see what was going on. "Ow, fuck Bert. Watch where you put your shit down," a tall, skinny blonde said, inspecting his foot for damage.

"You're such a baby," the one who I assumed was Bert snickered.

I watched the two boys set up their band equipment from the bottom of the stairs. Shortly after, two more had joined them. They were goofy, joking around as they set up, teasing each other. They were all pretty cute, except for the one named Bert, he looked like he needed a shower. Although, I think he'd be cute, too. But it was the tall blonde that caught my eye the most. I liked his laugh a lot and his smile. I couldn't help but smile with him.

"Oh, hello," one of them spoke up. He grinned, running a hand through his short, black hair. I assumed he was trying to look boyishly cute.

I just smiled a small, shy smile in return. I think he was going to say something more, but then Darren walked into the livingroom with the two kids trailing behind him. He handed them each a ten dollar bill before pushing them out the front door. "Are you guys almost done setting up?" He asked turning to the band.

There was a series of head nods and shouts of, "Yeah, almost," coming from all of them.

Darren turned to me. "Come on, let's go hang out in the kitchen until people start arriving."

I followed him and took a seat on the counter. We chatted about random things, mostly about what we were doing with our lives. Apparantly, he was going to a university in Florida on a football scholarship. I had to say, I was pretty excited for him. His friends started showing up pretty quicky, though. At first, when it was just his guy friends, I was the center of attention. They wanted me to do shots, which I did do a couple, but I knew my limit. I wasn't planning on exceeding it.

Once the cheerleaders and the girls who barely wore anything started showing up, it was like I was invisible. The party started filling up pretty quickly after that, though, so I was able to get to my job of taking pictures. I was there for hours, mostly viewing the festivities through a lense rather than participating. At midnight, I found myself walking to Darren's room and laying on his bed. I was tired and pretty sure I had a second hand high from all the marijuana smoke filling up all the air.

I was laying there by myself for maybe ten minutes before someone else stumbled through the door, most likely drunk and horny. I opened my eyes to see the tall blonde, staring at me, with a beer in hand. "Hey there," he slurred slightly, grinning from ear to ear.

"Hey," I smiled, leaning up on my elbows.

"What are you doing up here all alone?" He asked, sitting next to me, blatantly scanning my body with his eyes.

I smiled, sitting up all the way as I stretched my arms above my head, letting my shirt rise up to show a little skin. "I just needed some fresh air and quiet."

He nodded, staring directly at my mid drift. "I'm Quinn."

"Madi."

"Nice to meet you, Madi."

"You too, Quinn."

Our childish, innocent banter was interrupted with a couple bodies throwing themselves through the door. "Quinn, we're leaving," Bert spoke up.

"Oh okay." Quinn looked disappointed.

"Hey Madi, do you want to go with us?" Jade asked, walking around Bert.

"Nah, I need to head home." Quinn's disappointment increased only for a second before another smile plastered on his face.

"I'll walk you home. It's too late for a pretty girl like you to be walking home alone at this time."

I smiled, accepting his offer. The walk home was pretty quiet, mostly small talk about the weather and his band.

"This is where I live," I said, stopping in front of my apartment building and looking at him. "Thanks for walking me home."

"No problem," He smiled, seeming genuinely happy to do it. For a second, we just stood there staring at each other. I think we both had the same thought. I didn't want to walk away from him, and I didn't think he wanted to leave either. In the movies, this is where the guy would kiss the girl, but Quinn wasn't doing anything.

So I decided to. What was the harm? I'd probably never see him again, and throughout the night I was obsessed with his mouth anyway. Mostly for the smile, but why not try kissing it? So I did. I leaned up on my tippy toes and pressed my full, red lips against his thin pink ones.

The kiss was a tiny bit sloppy, most likely from the amount of alcohol he drank. It lasted for several minutes and was actually one of the best kisses I've ever had. I slowly pulled away from him, smiling a sweet, blissful smile. "It was very nice meeting you, Quinn." I walked into the apartment building and all the way up to my family's apartment, feeling like I was on cloud nine.