Pieces Mended

007

After calming Bert down a lot, I convinced him to walk with me to Kate’s apartment. He started trembling upon walking to the door. I walked in first and I noticed the smell of rotting beer from around the room. I looked at Bert as he just stood in the doorway and he just pointed to the living room. I turned and gasped at the sight before me. Kate lay on the floor, just like Bert told me. I ran over quickly and checked for a pulse. She wasn’t breathing and her pulse was very faint. “Bert call 911. Don’t just stand there. She’s still alive!” I screamed trying to remember CPR. How many pushes on the chest and breaths in? I was panicking. I’ve never seen a dead body or tried to save someone from actually dying. Bert came in a couple of seconds later with a tired, yet worried looking neighbor. The middle aged woman told me that an ambulance was on its way and tried CPR. I stood back with Bert who looked terrified again.

“This is my fault.” He mumbled with wide eyes. “I could have done something.”

I shook my head. “We’re gonna save her Bert. She’ll be fine. Trust me.” He nodded robotically. “You’re sober right? Cause if an ambulance is coming, the cops will be here soon too.” He shook his head quickly.

“We gotta get out of here!” He yelled. I shh’ed him. “Come on. “ He said pulling me out. He started running in the direction of Quinn’s house, and I followed as quickly as I could.

“Bert. Slow down!” I yelled after him, but he didn’t slow until he was in front of Quinn’s house banging loudly. I reached him and hunched over out of breath.

Quinn opened the door and yawned loudly. “What? Do you guys realize it’s,” He looked at his watch before continuing. “3:30 in the morning?” I nodded and Bert just started rambling on and on about the police and Kate and drugs.

I slapped my hand over his mouth and sighed. “Quinn, Kate overdosed. We found her in her apartment.” I shook my head and looked down.

“What do you mean she overdosed? Why are you here and not at the hospital or calling the cops or something! My place isn’t exactly close to hers!” He sounded alarmed and scared.

Bert licked my hand and I pulled it away to wipe it on my pants. “I called already. But I have shit on me and I’m fucked up and the cops! They’ll know. THE BRING ME TO JAIL!” He screamed loudly.

“Oh god. Come in before you wake my neighbors.” Quinn muttered before pulling us in.

“Sorry, we didn’t know where else to go.” I mumbled ashamed. I hated walking in on people, or waking them up. Apparently, Bert had no problem with it as he started yelling again about jail and death.

“My parents are sleeping asshole. Shut up. Please.” Quinn pleaded. Bert sighed and looked down ashamed. ”So what. You guys need to hide out or something.”

“Or something.” Bert nodded. “I just need to get rid of something and then well go to the hospital.” Quinn nodded and went to his room to change as Bert walked off to the bathroom. I stood there awkwardly, unsure of what to do. I had been here many times with Bert but that was just to shower and sleep on the couch when Kate didn’t want us over. I looked around at the pictures of Quinn and his family. They looked sort of happy. It reminded me of home. Back before my mother and sister died, leaving me with my father, we were this happy. We were this smiley and this perfect.

“Strange isn’t it?” Quinn said beside me. “How a family can look so happy, yet so broken.” I then noticed the little things. Quinn was dressed just like them, but his brother’s hand barely rested on his shoulder. Almost afraid too. I nodded and sighed. “You know, you never did tell me why you came to Orem of all places, just to be homeless.”

“Sometimes it takes miles to get away from your demons.” I smiled sadly. He nodded. I knew he didn’t quite understand but I doubt he cared too. Bert emerged from the bathroom and wiped his hands on his pants. “Let’s go.” I said walking out the door, trying to get away from the Allman picture, haunting me with my own family portrait flashing in front of my own eyes.

After getting into Quinn’s car and driving to the hospital, we were stuck with a thought. ‘What if she’s not here yet?’ Would we look suspicious in asking where she was when she had yet to arrive? Quinn manned up and walked in to ask. As Bert and I sat there, he started tapping on the dashboard in front of him. “So, you and Jeph huh?”

“What?” I looked at him through the rearview mirror, he had a smirk on his face as if he knew something I didn’t. He didn’t say anything after that, and I had thought it was a dream, yet here I am an hour later, in the waiting room, still wondering why he said that. Quinn was off getting snacks for him and Bert while we waited. There was no news on if Kate was alright or not. Bert had his foot placed up on his knee as he drummed against his shoe bored. His eyes were droopy and I knew why. He was crashing, and hard. I hoped Quinn would hurry back with the coffee, but he had already been gone for a good ten minutes. When he did arrive back, he was smiling like a dork. Bert jumped up, alerted. I placed my hand on his shoulder to comfort him. “It’s just Quinn.” I muttered.

He relaxed back and sighed. Quinn handed him some food and the coffee. “I ran into Madi. Her mom works here.“ I nodded and watched as a doctor and nurse came in, spotting us as we were the only ones in the room. The B-lined over to us with grim expressions. Bert watched them cautiously and worried. We stood up as they approached.

“You guys are here for Kate Smith?” The doctor looked between the three of us. We nodded and the doctor sighed. “I’m sorry to inform you, she and her unborn child had passed. The amount of drugs in her system was a deadly amount. There was no way to save either of them.”

Bert stared wide eyed. I was just as confused. ‘Baby?’ was running through both our minds. Or at least I thought. “She said she was going to get clean.” Bert whispered sadly. I put my hand on his arm. “For the baby.” He shook his head angrily and shoved my hand off of him. “No! She’s alive. You’re fucking with me. All of you. Fuck all of you!” He screamed before running out the door and leaving. I just watched, knowing there was nothing anyone could do to help him.

Quinn muttered an apology before thanking the doctor and nurse. He and the nurse talked a bit before we left. “Think he’s going to be alright?”

I nodded slightly. “He knows not to go ask Murphy for drugs, so he’ll probably go back to the house and hide out for a bit.”

“What if he already had some?”

“He flushed it at your house. Don’t you remember?” He shrugged and drive off to the abandoned house, knowing that’s where I wanted to go. I was still exhausted and really wished for a shower.

“By the way,” Quinn started as I was getting out. “Jeph works on a bakery on Main Street.”

“Okay why is everyone acting like we are the best of friends?” I asked harshly.

Quinn smiled. “We can see how he looks at you.” He shrugged. I bit my lip and shrugged. I thanked Quinn before getting out and walking to the side door. Strangely, I found it hard to get in. I knocked quietly, feeling weird because it’s something I haven’t ever done at this house.

“Go away.” Bert yelled, over his sobs. I sighed.

“Bert it’s me. Let me in!” After hearing him scream a no I turned back to the road. Well better start walking, I thought to myself as I trudged down the road towards the main street. I held onto the straps of my backpack, holding onto the only thing that makes me feel at home. I passed the bakery, Quinn told me about and smiled at the cakes in the window. My stomach growled as I tried to remember the last time I ate. It was never top priority to me. I shook my head and turned my head away from the window. I reached into my pocket to see how much money I had. I found a couple of quarters and bit my lip.

“You know I could spare a few dollars you’re way if you want.” I heard a voice say from next to me.

“You really are stalking me aren’t you? I said turning towards Jeph. He looked down, ashamed.

“I call it looking out for a girl who shouldn’t be out at the time of night.” He shrugged leaning against the building. I looked at him, pissed. I could take care of myself. “I didn’t mean it like that.” He defended. “Just meaning, I’m worried about you.” I nodded and smiled shyly. He pushed off from the wall and offered me his arm. “Come on. I know this great place that serves the best vegan friendly meals.” I hesitated but took his arm anyways.
♠ ♠ ♠
This story isn't getting much love. But its still really good. :D Sorry about the sadness. And I know Kate didn't die until 04, I know. But this is fiction so give me a break. :) Show some love for double 07. :D