Desperation Devastation

Re-runs Of Awkward Silences.

The next day...

There was a knock on the door.
I halued myself off the couch, I'd been sitting there for an hour, watching re-runs of pathetic soaps. This particular episode was when whats-her-name's husband died. Those stupid directors and scripters probably have no fucking idea what its actually like to lose someone.
Assholes.

There was a second knock on the door.
"I'm coming for God's sake!" I yelled while dawdling towards front door. I opened the door to find a face I knew all too well smiling back at me.

"Good morning Emile." Lance said with a grin.

"Oh my god! Lance!" I screamed and bowled him over with a hug.
He fell onto the doormat and took me down with him. I couldn't stop laughing, I couldn't believe that Lance was here.
He picked himself up and shook the dust out of his hair, he didn't look very different from when I last saw him. He was wearing black jeans with studded leather boots. He was wearing striped black/white shirt and a black tie. His thick black hair was spiked with a fringe covering his sparkling sapphire eyes, rimmed with thick black eyeliner.

"I missed you," Lance said, looking down at his feet.

I smiled, "Me too."

"Tell me what's been happening," I said. I kissed him lightly on the cheek and lead him into the lounge.

We sat down on the couch and I bit my lip ring.
He sighed, "Not much really, studying, partying, missing you." He smiled as he said the last two words.

"This is awkward Lance." I blatantly pointed out.

"I know, Emile, I know." He said with yet another sigh.

"I'm sorry Lance, its just that things are all weird, now that Naomi's," I gulped.
"Gone." I finished.

He reached out and held my hand, "I'm sorry I couldn't be there, for you, and for Naomi."

"It's ok," I said. Lance wiped away a tear.

"Where's everyone else?" He asked, looking around.

"At work, they're letting me stay here because of, well, you know. Alex is probably polluting the latte's with tears." I replied.

Lance nodded and gave me a hug, "It'll be ok Emile, I promise."
I smiled weakly and hugged him back.

"Come on, lets go visit Bob." I said, standing up. I found one of my shoes and slipped it on.

"Who's Bob?" Lance asked, stretching.

"He proposed to Naomi the day before she..." I said, hunting aroung the lounge for my other shoe. I found it and tied the laces.

"Oh." Lance said.

We walked out the door towards my car. Lance was back from England, maybe he was the part of me I'd been secretly missing, I don't know. I don't think I'll ever know.