The Rain Still Makes You Smile

Chapter 2- Right Now Could Last Forever

I sat on my bed silently, staring at a wall. I'd decided to come back here halfway through lunch, about seven hours ago. "Alex" Nelly said quietly, stepping in. I looked in her general direction. "Your friends stopped by to tell you that something important came up, and that they'd be around in about a month." She offered. They still went on tour, yes. Jack or Zack sang. I wasn't so sure. "Alright, thank you."
"Actually, I've gotten permission to take you on a walk in the woods, if you'd like." She smiled politely at me, her hands clasped together behind her back, the way I'd stand when I had to wait. I nodded and stood. "Thank you Nelly. I appreciate it." I said softly, following her out of the room to the coat room, where they supplied me with a beanie, a trench coat that I liked to wear and my favourite pair or worn and torn. Nelly took her coat and hat and they gave her two pairs of gloves to hold, because it was late October, nearly Halloween. We stepped out and started down a trail in the woods. I'd taken a good look at Nelly before, but never in this lighting. The pale moonlight made her dark brown eyes shine. Her dark brown hair looked black, and her freckles looked as if they were bugs dancing across her skin as she looked over at me and smiled. I just kind of looked at her. "Alex, would you maybe tell me about yourself?" She asked. "I've known you for six months, and I haven't learnt a thing about who you were before Nimrick's Institute For The Clinically Depressed." She looked at me curiously as we walked. "There's nothing to know."
"I don't believe that."
"I sang." Was all I said. She nodded. "Did you like what you did?"
"I loved it."
"Then why'd you do it?"
"Do what?"
"Alex we both know you tried to kill yourself. Why?" She asked. I stayed silent and ignored the question, listening to the leaves crunch and crinkle under my feet. We walked like that for a few minutes. "You know, they took my stuffed bear." I complained quietly. "Stuffed bear? Why would they take that?"
"They said it was dangerous."
"Was it?"
"It was just a stuffed bear. And it's getting cold out, they took my blankets too."
"That's just not right. Want me to try and help?" She offered. I nodded, jamming my hands into my pockets. We walked the rest of the way in silence. We walked to the pond and stood by it for a while. I bent down and picked up a rock, squeezing it gently before closing my eyes and tossing it into the water. Nelly looked at me, I could feel her eyes burn into the side of my head. As I opened my eyes I saw her mimick my actions, then look at me. "Did you make a wish?" I asked. She nodded. "I thought that's what that was for." She added. I smiled at her and we turned around, heading back to Nimrick's. We walked to the back door and she slid her passcard through the slot, the light turning green and the door opening. She walked in first. I followed closely and took off the coat, hanging it up. I tossed the hat into the bin and kicked off the converse. One more long night to survive. Nelly took me to my room. "I'll be right back. Try and stay awake, Alex." She smiled, turning and walking down the hall.