The Rain Still Makes You Smile

Chapter 5- A New Prisoner

A familiar face I hadn't seen in weeks showed up today. He stood at the front of the Cafeteria with the main doctor. We stared at each other from our places across the room from each other. "Everyone, we have a new patient!" My heart dropped. "This, is Jack Barakat! He's bulimic, and depressed. Everyone make him feel welcome. Carry on with your lunches, now!" The doctor smiled and gave Jack a warm pat on the back before walking out with his nurses. Jack motioned for me to come over, so I did. "What's safe to maybe possibly eat?" He asked. I looked at the options of meatloaf, cookies, apples and pears. "The pears are okay I guess, and the cookies are the best thing to happen to anyone ever." I suggested, and he barely nodded. I returned to my empty table in the corner. Jack, instead of sitting with me, sat across the room with some people who called him over. I stayed in the corner, all alone, watching Jack make friends. I was sick and tired of it. I stood and stormed out, going to wait for lunch to be over, and music to start.

I hadn't really seen Zack or Rian since Jack checked in a few weeks ago. Well, I'd seen them, tried to talk to them, but they wouldn't spare me a second glance. So now I stood by the sink, shoving yet another wad of hair into it. I filled it up, none of the water able to escape. I dropped my head in, in hopes of them not watching. Unfortunately for me, a doctor rushed in and pulled me back, pulling the hair out and leaving again. I stared at the mirror as an idea crept into my head. I trust my fist forward into the glass, crying out as it shattered, the bones in my hand doing the same. Shards flew to the ground as I crumpled down into a mess of tears, screaming and whimpering. Nurses swarmed around me and I was carried out, past Rian, Zack and Jack, screaming at the top of my lungs. "I just want to die! Why won't you just let me be happy?!" I sobbed as I kicked my feet and tried to break free of their grasps. The trio stared at me, no look of worry on their faces. "This is all your fault!" I screamed down to them. "I hope you feel fucking guilty! You make me want to die!" I gave up, sobbing as they carried me into the medical room. I was put on the cot, my breath caught in my throat, being choked back by sadness. I could hear the pathetic sound of my choking because they had me flat on my back as they examined and tried to fix my hand. The sound became distant before all I could hear was the pounding in my chest, and everything went black.