Status: COMPLETED!

Do I Turn Out Alright?

Hands Up If You're Down To Get Down Tonight

[Sapphire]

Living back in Los Angeles was the strangest thing in the world. It was so awkward with my parents at first, that was until two weeks after I got there I got a job at a small clinic across town. I was just so sick of sitting around doing nothing but thinking about what happened. My parents questioned me everyday about why I left, what happened with Matt, but I just said that we broke up and that was that.

Matt and I talked a few times a week. The guys are coming out here next week to begin recording their 5th full length album, though Zack was already out here since he lives in LA. I've met up with him a few times for lunch. Matt and I had plans to meet up next Friday for dinner. Needless to say, I was nervous.

I hadn't spoken a word to Alex though Matt assured me that the two of them had made up and worked everything out. Alex still tries calling and texts me constantly but I ignore it all. I need to move on from him. What we did was wrong and was to never happen again. I wanted Matt back and he wanted me.

As Friday got closer and closer, I found myself going out and getting manicures or my eyebrows waxed, I even had highlights added to my hair. I just wanted to look good for Matt. It was currently the day before and I had just gotten home from shopping for a new outfit to wear to my date tomorrow.

I barely got any sleep the night before, I tossed and turned. My mind kept up making all of these scenarios. All of them where things went wrong and I lost Matt forever. I awoke way earlier than needed and ended up getting to work 30 minutes earlier than normal.

Luckily, the day passed quickly enough and soon I was headed back to my house to get changed before heading to the restaurant.

"Where are you going?" My mother questioned me as I rushed into the house.

"I have a date with Matt!" I exclaimed, giggling a little as I ran up the stairs. I heard her call something after me but my door was already slammed shut so I didn't hear her. I then changed from my plain scrubs into my new dress, completing it with heels and matching jewelry. I then took my hair out of the ponytail it had been in and spent a few minutes making the soft waves lay the right way. Finally, I deemed myself ready and grabbed my purse before leaving the room.

"Sapphire, do you really think having a date with that man is wise?" My mother stopped me when I got to the bottom of the stairs. I sighed and shook my head.

"Mom, you don't know what happened between us so you can't possibly know what is a good idea or not. Now, excuse me." I went around her and to the front door, getting into my car and driving to the restaurant. My palms were sweating and shaking as I entered the luxurious restaurant.

"Hello. Welcome to Comeechies, how may I help you today?" The cheery hostess asked when I entered.

"Umm.. yes.. I'm meeting someone. Flyzik? Is he here yet?" I questioned. Matt told me that he had gotten reservations for this place a week ago, otherwise we would have never gotten a table.

"He is not here yet, but the table is ready. We can take you there." I graciously nodded and followed her back to a small two person table near the back of the restaurant.

"Thank you." I spoke as I sat down. She gave me a warm smile before leaving to go back to the podium up front. I pulled my menu towards me and looked down at it. Geez, this place was expensive. A kind waiter then came up and asked me what I would like to drink. I simply got a glass of root beer. I was not going to be spending that kind of money on alcohol. No way.

Matt still hadn't arrived by the time I finished my first glass of root beer. By now I was fidgeting and my palms were so sweaty it was like I had just dipped them under a faucet. Where was Matt? Had he changed his mind? Did he no longer want to see me? Did he not forgive me? Was it all a lie?

Before I could question anything more though, I felt a warm hand on my back. I felt a smile creep onto my face. Until I turned around and came face to face with not Matt.. but Alex.

"Alex..? What are you doing here? Where's Matt?" I questioned, frowning at the handsome man before me. The last month had obviously taken a toll on him. He seemed worn out, very tired, and had an apologetic look on his face.

"Matt isn't coming, Saph." He told me, taking the seat across from me as I frowned at him.

"What do you mean? Has something happened? Is he alright?" I questioned, worried. Did he get in some kind of accident? Did something happen? Where was Matt? My mind was whirling.

"He's fine... he's really good actually... He's just... he's still in Baltimore." Alex told me, looking down at the menu before him, avoiding my questioning gaze.

"What? But... why? We had plans.... he said he forgave me..." I felt my eyes welling up with tears. Why was this happening? Why had he lied to me?

"He has forgiven you, and he wanted to see you but... something has come up and.... he's met someone else, Sapphire." I didn't want to believe this. Alex was lying to me. He was just saying this so I would get with him. I shook my head as a tear fell down my cheek.

"You're lying to me." I mumbled, only half believing my own words. Alex sighed and reached into his jacket pocket, pulling out a folded piece of paper.

"Matt figured that you wouldn't believe me so he gave me this to give you. I'm really sorry, Saph." He reached across the table and handed me the folded paper. I took it with shaking hands and unfolded it. It was in Matt's hand writing, I would recognize it anywhere.

Sapphire,

I am so sorry that it has come to this. I know that we had made promises to see each other and work through this but things have happened. I met another person. Her name is Angela and she is wonderful.

I didn't mean for this to happen. I wasn't expecting to meet her but I was out doing some work for the guys and she was there doing work for a local venue and we just... clicked. We have so much in common and I just love spending time with her. We are not dating, as we are taking things slow but I really think she will be an important part of my life.

It's best that we just put what we had behind us. I still love you, Sapphire. You are one of the greatest girls in the world and I miss you so much. I was just so hurt by what happened and I know that no matter what it will always be there between us, there is no getting past it. I'm sorry.

Here's your chance to be with Alex though, so really its a win win for all of us. No one gets hurt and we all end up with who we want.

I hope to see you some time in the future.

With love and regrets,
Matt


This could not be happening. I didn't want to believe it. I folded up the letter and put it on the table in front of me.

"Saph..." Alex whispered quietly, reaching across the table to take my hand in his. I stared down at our linked hands as tears rushed down my cheeks.

"I love him, Alex... I love Matt so much. I wanted to spend forever with him. I wanted to die an old lady beside him. He was everything I ever wanted and now... he doesn't want me anymore."

"You told him that if he found someone else you'd be okay with that. Angela seems to make him really happy. Isn't this what you wanted?" Alex questioned making me nod gently.

"Yes... he does deserve someone who won't fall in love with his best friend." I muttered before I shook my head and stood up, ripping my hand away from his. "I have to go, Alex. Thank you for telling me about Matt." I then turned and rushed from the restaurant.

"Sapphire, wait!" Alex called, rushing after me. He caught me on the sidewalk outside the restaurant. "I'm sorry. Don't leave again, please. It's so good to see you, I've missed you so much." He then pulled me into a hug. In the next second I lost it and was sobbing into his neck, gripping at him as if my life depended on it. His hold on me never faltered.

"I don't know what to do, Alex." I sobbed making him sigh and turn to kiss the side of his head.

"And that's okay. You aren't expected to know what to do, you just had your heart broken. Do you know what that means then?" He asked, making me shake my head, my face still buried in his sweet smelling neck. "It means that you are entitled to a night of movies, ice cream, and alcohol with your best friend." I laughed and pulled back to look at him.

"That sounds nice." I told him, making him smile. He brought his hands up and took my face in between them, his thumbs wiping at the tears still escaping my eyes.

"Good, then that is what we will do." He then leaned down and kissed my forehead gently. "Come on. We can have it at my hotel room. I already have the alcohol, we just need to stop and get ice cream. We can order whatever movie you want from on demand, alright?" He let go of my face and reached down to take my hand, pulling me towards my car.

"Thank you, Alex." I told him as we stopped beside it.

"Nonsense. Now give me your keys, I took a cab here." He held his hand out, making me smile and dig my keys out of my bag before placing them in his hand. He then lead me over to the passenger side and held the door for me and closed it when I got it, then making his way over to the drivers side.

Well... this day did not go how I had wanted it to. Though like Alex reminded me... I had told Matt that if he found someone else, I would be happy for him and would understand. So now I had to just try and understand... That was easier said then done..
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoa, guys... Writing the beginning of this chapter I was just as nervous as Sapphire was I think. Though for different reasons, since I knew what was going to happen and I kind of didn't want to do it because it made me sad. It had to be done though. :( Sorry Team Matt people. I feel your pain.

Sapphire