‹ Prequel: Everywhere Everything

Thank You

Happiness

“Oh.”

Out of everything she imagined him to say, every single scenario she had run through in her head, not a single one of them played out quite like his actual reaction.

“Oh?” she asked, taking in his slack posture and impassive expression. “Is that all you have to say?”

“I-I- I mean- I-we-we only had sex once,” he informed her, finally getting his train of thought back.

“Well,” she sighed, tugging her backpack back up her arm from where it was slipping, “That’s really all it takes.”

“And you’re- you’re su-”

“Yes, I’m sure it’s yours.” She interrupted, not knowing if she should feel offended or not. He quickly ran his fingertips through his hair, reaching into his pocket for his pack of cigarettes. God that sounded so good to her at the moment. He dug around, trying to find his lighter.

“Shit,” he cursed under his breath. His finger finally found the hole in his pocket where the lighter had to have fallen out. “God dammit.” He forced the box of smokes back into his pocket and then wiped his hands on his jeans. Now he was the one fidgeting.

“Hey,” she said, taking a step towards him and grabbing both of his hands. “This doesn’t have to be your problem. I wouldn’t do that to you.” She took a deep breath and dropped his hands, knowing that she had his attention either way. “After everything else I put you through… I mean… I-I just thought that I would give it a shot.” His expression was blank as he took in her words. “I can try the rehab thing again,” she added with a shrug.

“There’s really a baby in there?” he asked; placing his hand on her flat stomach, pretty much ignoring her words. She was taken aback by his sudden movement.

“Uh- Yes. That’s what I’m told,” she nodded, one corner of her mouth lifting into a half smile. “It’s more like a blob right now, though.”

“No shit,” he breathed. “Did you tell Ted?” he asked, retracting his hand and sliding it back into his jacket pocket.

“Besides my doctor, we’re the only two people who know.”

“No shit,” he repeated, a grin slowly forming. “We made something.” The giggle that erupted from her throat was a completely foreign sound to him now. It had been so long since he’d heard it. He couldn’t help but smile. He felt his phone start buzzing in his pocket. He knew it was Taylor and he knew just how furious she was going to be when they got back to his apartment.

“Come on,” he said, tugging on Jessica’s hand. “We’ve still got a bit of walking to do. Give me that backpack.”

//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\

After setting Jessica’s backpack down on the bar, he made his way into the living room where two sets of eyes were boring into his. He made sure Jess was still following him and felt bad when he heard her take a deep breath as soon as she saw Peyton. His eyes locked on Taylor’s and he knew just how pissed she was.

“Can I talk to you?” she asked, scooting off of the couch.

“Actually, I think-”

“Now,” she seethed, narrowing her eyes at him. He really wished he could have had that cigarette before he subjected himself to this.

“Be right back,” he whispered to Jess and followed Taylor into the room. As soon as he shut the door, he prepared himself.

“No.”

“No?” he questioned, looking at her like she was crazy. She was.

“I just got you back. She can’t show up and bat her long eyelashes and flip her fucking hair and everything’s fine again! It doesn’t work like that! It shouldn’t work like that.”

“That’s not-”

“I can’t believe you followed her,” she continued, starting to pace across the floor. “Three hours? What do you need to talk about for three hours?”

“Taylor-”

“I can’t believe the nerve that girl has.”

“Taylor.”

“Annuls your marriage and then shows up at your doorstep. What’s so fucking important that she has to-”

“Taylor stop,” he finally groaned, grabbing onto her shoulders and holding her in place. “Just stop.”

“You forgave her, didn’t you? ” she asked, her face falling.

“No,” he rolled his eyes.

“Then what?!”

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. Jessica was right. It was almost a mullet.

“God, I don’t even know how to tell you this.”

“What is she pregnant or something,” Taylor asked with a laugh. Austin looked at her and expelled the breath he didn’t know he was holding. Her eyes narrowed at the same time her lips pursed. “You’ve got to be kidding me. She’s pregnant? That’s great, Austin. That’s just fucking great.”

“You know what Taylor, at least she never cheated on me.” As soon as it slipped out of his mouth, he regretted it. He wished he could take a giant eraser to the words hanging between them.

“You’re right Austin,” she nodded after a long silence, the tears lining her lashes. “She just chose drugs over you. That’s so much better.”

That was it. That was their talk. She grabbed her bag and quietly exited the room. He heard the front door click as she quietly let herself out. He heard yelling coming from the living room and cursed under his breath. He woke up this morning and everything made sense. He had Taylor. He loved Taylor. Everything was the way it was supposed to be.

“Jesus Christ, Jessica!”

He figured that was his cue. He exited the room and made his way down the hall and into the living room. Jessica was sitting on the couch, glaring at Peyton, who was practically standing over her, lecturing her.

“Haven’t you already damaged his life enough? When is it going to end?”

“Peyton, I think you should go.” Austin sighed, leaning against the entryway. She blew her bangs out of her face and nodded.

“Yeah, you’re right. Can’t even stand to look at her right now.”

Jessica popped off of the couch and ran for Peyton, tackling her to the ground.

“God, you’re such a bitch.”

“What are you going to do, Jessica? Snort me?” Peyton was trying to shove Jessica off of her but her strength was noting compared to Jessica’s determination. She pinned her down even harder.

“I wish mom was still alive so that I could still be her favorite fucking child,” Jessica shot back, wincing as Peyton’s nails dug into her wrists. Austin's jaw practically hit the floor.

“GET OFF OF ME,” Peyton all but screamed. Austin figured it was about time to step in. He effortlessly picked Jessica up so that Peyton could breathe. Without a word or even a glance, she grabbed her bag and her keys, heading for the door.

“Ass face!” Jessica yelled right before she closed the door. Austin shook his head as he set her down.

“I’ve said it before and I will say it again, come up with better insults, darlin’. Ass face is really lame.”

Jessica shrugged and plopped down on the couch. “I really messed things up, didn’t I?”

“We did,” he sighed, plopping down next to her and clasped his hand on her leg. “We made this mess.” It was silent for a while. Austin thought she had fallen asleep.

“Do you hate me?” she asked, finally finding her voice.

“Let’s talk about everything tomorrow, okay?” he asked, patting her leg and standing up.

“Is that a yes?”

“Come on,” he said, holding out his hand. She grabbed it and let him help her up.

“Please don’t hate me,” she whispered. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He wasn’t used to this. Vulnerable Jessica disappeared a long time ago as far as he was concerned.

“I don’t hate you,” he whispered back, turning to face her. He finally let his fingers trace the yellowing bruise below her eye. “We can talk about it all tomorrow.”

“I don’t want to talk about that.”

“We’ll talk about it ALL tomorrow,” he repeated, moving down to the cut on her lip. His thumb traced it and he sighed as she parted her lips. His eyebrows furrowed as he dropped his hand. “You can take my room.”

“I can sleep on the couch,” she said, sensing his sudden shift in mood. “Or you can sleep in the bed with me, you know? Like old times,” she whispered with a smile.

“Jessica,” he sighed, taking a step back. “Nothing’s changed. You killed whatever we were the moment you signed those papers. The bedroom’s through there,” he informed her, pointing down the hall. She nodded and ran her hand through her short, choppy hair. She didn’t even say goodnight as grabbed her bag and slowly made her way to the room.

Two girls. Two totally different girls, but they did have one thing in common. They both made him get reacquainted with that goddamn couch.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know that this shit wasn't worth the month long wait and I apologize. I started writing a new story under a new pen name on here, so I have two stories fighting for my attention. Sooooo, let me know what's going on in your head? Comment? :)