Skeletons

027

Image


"Sav, come on! We gotta go!"

"I can't find my Fellowship of the Ring!" she yelled back from upstairs where she was searching everywhere for her favorite book.

"You've read that a hundred times. Can't you grab something else instead?"

An annoyed groan came from the young girl at her mother's suggestion, but she ignored it and kept looking until she finally unearthed the book under a pile of clothes that she'd stacked on top of her bed when she was deciding what clothes to pack. Once she stuffed the book into her small purple backpack, she hurried downstairs to meet her waiting mother. Falyn handed her two plastic grocery bags of snack foods that she liked before hoisting her gray duffel packed with their stuff onto her shoulder and grabbing her car keys off the table in the foyer.

"Have you got everything you need to entertain you for a day or two?"

"I think so," Savannah shrugged. "Grabbed two extra books just in case."

Falyn chuckled. "Of course you did. Alright then, come on. Papa's waitin' for us at the clubhouse."

After locking up the house, they packed their things into the trunk of the car and Savannah rounded up their giant German Shepherd to coax him into the back seat before climbing into the front passenger side. There were tons of people at the clubhouse, possibly more than Falyn had ever seen at any given time in the past. There were men stationed on the rooftops all around the perimeters of the compound and several cars blocking the gate that had to verify people before letting them in. Juice was the one who waved them through and when she finally found a spot to park her SUV, they climbed out to go inside, leaving their things in the trunk for the present time.

Gage ran ahead of them to explore the new territory, sniffing everything and everyone he came across and a few excited children rushed forward to pet him while he just accepted it happily. She let Savannah walk into the clubhouse first and the dog followed behind her as she went in, staying right next to her as she weaved through the massive crowd to reach Craig where he sat at the bar with Piney. As she looked around, she saw that there were members from at least three other charters present, plus all the old ladies, children, crow eaters, and other friends of the club. This lockdown was the most serious one she'd ever been a part of.

"I know you boys aren't sittin' here drinkin' at eleven o'clock in the morning," she scolded teasingly.

Piney only chuckled and raised his beer to her before finishing it off and taking a new one from the prospect behind the bar. She shook her head as she slid onto the bar stool next to her father and Savannah climbed on the one on her other side, clutching her book with both hands as she looked around the room, in awe of the intimidating crowd packed inside. Tara walked in, Abel in the carrier in her hand, and Jax was right behind her as she made her way over to where they were sitting. She took off her sunglasses then threw her free arm around Falyn in a side hug.

"Doin' okay?" she asked quietly.

Falyn sighed, glancing over at her daughter but Savannah was too absorbed in fawning over her baby brother who giggled and jabbered back at her. "Jax told you then?"

"Yes!" Tara hissed. "You should've said something way back when it happened!"

"There was no way I was going to be any part of their retaliation."

"You're a part of it now," Tara countered but Falyn shook her head.

"No, I'm not. Not really. They're furious for Gemma, and rightfully so, but I'm just kind of an added bonus. And I'm fine." Tara eyed her skeptically but didn't counter her and Falyn reached down to unfasten the baby's straps so that she could lift him out of his carrier and avoid the other woman's watchful gaze. "Hi, baby boy," she cooed as she gently brushed her thumb over Abel's cheek and his tiny fists immediately tangled themselves in her long hair, completely enraptured.

Tig whistled to get everyone's attention and the chatter immediately died down as the huge crowd inside the room looked around to see what was going on. Clay made his way through the sea of people to the front of the room, clearing his throat before he turned to his audience. "I wanna welcome you all to Club Reaper."

"You're here because you're family and because SAMCRO takes care of its own. Next couple of days, this club's got some business to handle that could put our members and the people connected to us in...... unfriendly situations. Now, chances are, nothing's gonna happen but people have already been hurt on my watch. And that ain't ever gonna happen again."

Clay turned his gaze to Gemma, who stood a few feet away next to Jax, but Falyn felt Tara give her a little squeeze. Falyn gave her a soft smile and wrapped her free arm around her daughter's shoulders, bringing her in close to her side as she glanced over at Jax, who met her eyes and gave her an apologetic look.

"Nobody gets in, nobody leaves without an escort," Clay continued. "You got a safety concern, talk to Piney. You got a comfort concern, talk to my queen. Under this roof, you'll all be safe. I want you to make yourself at home. I love all of ya."

The whole place erupted in applause and some cheers and frankly Falyn didn't understand why. None of the brainless crow eaters wandering around seemed to understand that they were there on lockdown, because there was a good chance that Zobelle's people would probably come after them all if things went any worse. SAMCRO was about to act out their retaliation and things could get really nasty really fast. It was incredibly dangerous for all of them, even being inside the compound.

There was some casual chatting and dawdling before the club members from all charters retreated into the chapel and shut the doors to talk business, leaving the rest to hang out in the main area. They were only inside for a few short minutes before they were all spilling out of the room again and straight out the clubhouse door after kisses and hugs from their various old ladies. Savannah took the baby from her mother's arms and went over to sit on the unoccupied sofa where she could hold him on her lap without worrying about dropping him. After all, he was getting bigger.

Gage followed her to the kitchen when she went to make herself a cup of coffee and when she sat down in the chair across from her daughter with a her full mug, he sat down at her feet, resting his head on her knee. She chuckled and rubbed the top of his massive head as she sipped her coffee and her eyes drifted over to the young blonde on the sofa who was gently bouncing her baby brother on her knees. Abel was giggling and jabbering and Savannah looked beyond pleased at making him do so. Falyn smiled to herself as she watched them silently but it was only a few minutes before Opie's kids and a little boy she didn't know where coming up to ask Savannah if she could put in a movie for them on the tv in one of the dorms, because their grandmother told them that they weren't allowed to touch the television at her house.

Savannah agreed politely but when she got up and handed the baby back to her mother, she sighed in annoyance and followed the three younger children down the hallway. Abel immediately became fixated on her long hair again and Falyn just cradled him in the crook of her arm as he twirled a strand around in his tiny hands. Sometimes she missed having a baby around; Savannah had been a perfect angel when she was that age and it seemed Abel had the same temperament. She took a sip of her coffee as he looked up at her with his big blue eyes, the same ones that Savannah had-- the ones they both inherited from their father.

"Mind if I sit?"

Falyn was surprised to look over her shoulder and find the beautiful blonde woman that Opie had been seeing for awhile. She said nothing but shook her head as the woman circled around her to sit on the opposite end of the sofa that Savannah had been previously occupying. Instead of staring awkwardly while waiting for her to say something, Falyn kept her eyes on the baby in her arms who was babbling softly while he tickled his own face with the ends of her hair. When Lyla didn't speak after a few more moments passed, Falyn looked up at her, immediately noticing that the woman seemed paler than usual and very worried.

"Are you okay?" she asked, her brows furrowed.

Lyla seemed thrown off by the question but then she shook her head as her eyes dropped to her hands in her lap. "This whole thing is just..... This is crazy, right? I mean, it's dangerous. They could get hurt. Or worse."

"That's just the club," Falyn shrugged. "There's always that possibility."

"How are all these people just sitting here laughing and joking around?" Lyla asked incredulously, glancing around the room at all the people who were just going about their business like it was an everyday occurrence to be on lockdown at the compound. "Why are they so fucking relaxed about it?"

"I don't think they really are. It's just their way of coping maybe. Keeping things light because if they don't then they start realizing how serious it actually is."

"Yeah," she breathed. "You're probably right."

"Everything's gonna work out though. The guys'll be fine."

"How do you know that?"

"I don't. But I have to believe it, don't I? And you should too." Falyn took another sip from her mug and Lyla watched her carefully before finally nodding her head, still somewhat unsure of things.

"But what about the kids though? I mean, it's not just dangerous for the guys. If something happened to one of the kids-"

"You can't think like that, Lyla. You just-.....you gotta trust 'em. Trust that they know what they're doing and that they're gonna protect us if something happens. That's why we're here." Honestly, that was the recurring thought that had been plaguing Falyn's mind ever since she had been attacked in her own home. She was more worried about Savannah's safety than her own and it seemed that Lyla felt the same way about her own kid, and the two that weren't even hers. Falyn knew even as she said the words that the advice she was giving was a piece of advice that she needed to listen to herself, but she was a mother after all, and worrying was what mothers did.

Lyla nodded weakly and let out a heavy sigh as she stood up from the sofa. "I'm gonna go find the kids. If anyone needs me, that's where I'll be."

It was only a few minutes after Lyla walked away that Savannah returned to her mother, once again taking Abel from her, and they both went outside to get away from the crowds. One of the picnic tables was unoccupied so Falyn took a seat on top of it and Savannah sat down on the bench in front of her, shifting the baby in her arms. "He's heavy," she grimaced.

"You want me to take 'im?" She silently debated for a second, glancing between her mother and her brother, before she handed him over and Falyn chuckled as she placed Abel in her lap. "You're not heavy, are you?" she cooed at the baby. "Your sister just has weak arms."

"Give me a break! I'm eleven!"

People came pouring out of the clubhouse, some of them going over into the garage, some going out further into the lot, and some lingering by the clubhouse doors where Falyn and Savannah were sitting. There was a group of four women who kept glancing over at her suspiciously but she just sighed, ignoring them as she looked down to watch Savannah talk softly to the baby in her lap.

It was the sound of motorcycles that grabbed her attention again and she looked up just as a line of them rode into the lot and parked against the side gate just like the always did. They unstrapped their helmets and climbed off, strolling toward the clubhouse, except for Clay and Jax who went into the garage's office and shut the door behind them. One of the Tacoma boys who was helping out guarding the gate came running toward the clubhouse door, going straight in and coming right back out a minute later to wave someone over. The man who appeared around the corner was short and half bald, smiling even though all but two of his fingers were missing. Savannah's mouth dropped open as she looked back at her mother, but Falyn was about as surprised as her daugher was as she watched the Tacoma boy lead the man inside.

"I wonder what happened to that guy's hands," Savannah mumbled.

Falyn cracked a smile. "It's probably better not to know."

Clay and Jax came out of the office not long after the strange man was led into the clubhouse and Jax gave her a grin, reaching out to stroke his son's cheek as he walked by them. Almost as soon as they went inside, Gemma and Tara came out.

"Hey, baby," Gemma greeted, sliding her sunglasses onto her face.

"Hey, Gem. How are ya?"

The older woman glanced at Tara, then Savannah and Abel, before looking back at her with a small smile. "I'm good."

"Good," Falyn nodded, returning the smile.

"Gemma and I have some errands in town," Tara told her. "Would you mind if I left Abel with you?"

"No, not at all! He's being a perfect angel." They both looked down at the baby in her arms and Tara smiled while Abel just babbled happily.

"He'd just woken up from his nap when we got here earlier so he should be ready for another one around 3:30. There's some bottles in the fridge and some diapers in his bag, which is right by the bar."

"Tara, I got it," Falyn laughed. "Go on, get outta here."

"Right. I still forget you've already done this whole baby thing," Tara chuckled, fumbling with the car keys in her hand.

"You guys be careful, yeah?"

Tara only nodded but Gemma smiled, looking between her two grandchildren. "See you later, babies."

"Bye, Grandma," Savannah chirped in response.

Tara leaned down to press a kiss to Abel's beanie covered head before she followed Gemma across the parking lot to her old Cutlass, a few Sons trailing behind them for security.

After that, the guys started to come back and forth, going to handle some club business and then coming back to regroup a few times before they finally stayed to start gearing up for what would be going down that night between them and the Aryan crew. Abel started to get fussy around three so Falyn sent Savannah inside for his blanket so that she could wrap him up and rock him to sleep. She grabbed her book while she was at it, deciding that she should occupy herself while her baby brother was sleeping. Falyn did the same thing she'd done with Savannah-- rocking gently back and forth in her seat as she rubbed his tiny back and softly sang the same song that Savannah had loved to fall asleep to when she was a baby. His nap didn't last that long, but he was back to being a perfect, happy baby when he woke up.

Falyn received more surreptitious glances from the women who had taken up residence at the other picnic table a few feet away from her, but after sitting there in such close proximity with them, she had gathered that they were old ladies of some of the Tacoma Sons. Falyn still didn't like being talked about, but at least it wasn't crow eaters who were running their mouths. Truthfully, she couldn't do anything about it either. Since they were old ladies, they were of a higher up rank than she was and were supposed to be respected. So even though they were only with the Tacoma charter and she was with the Redwood charter, she was technically only a friend of the club and didn't command the respect that they did.

It wasn't long before Gemma and Tara returned, and Falyn couldn't help but notice the smug smile on Tara's face as she walked up to where she was sitting next to Savannah, who was now fully engrossed in her book. "What's that look for?"

Tara glanced at Savannah before she shook her head and smiled wider. "Tell you later. Was he okay?" she asked, rubbing her hand over Abel's head.

"Absolutely," Falyn assured her, bouncing the babbling baby on her thighs. "He had a nap, but it was only about thirty minutes. Too much excitement going on I guess."

"Yeah, that seems to happen a lot for him. Poor kid."

They both laughed as the guys started coming out of the clubhouse, all geared up and ready to go. Falyn slid off the table top to stand up and Tara moved closer to Gemma where she stood right by the door to wait for Clay. Most of them came out and walked right past Falyn but Chibs stopped in front of her, brushing the pad of his thumb over Abel's smooth cheek before looking up to make eye contact with her. "Be careful," she murmured softly. A few beats of silence passed between them before he finally nodded once, his hand sliding down over hers where it rested on Abel's back, and he gave it a quick squeeze, not breaking his stare until he walked away from her and over to the row of bikes. She was completely caught off guard by his action but didn't have a chance to think on it too much as Opie came out behind him, pulling Lyla into a passionate kiss. It was still hard for her to see him with someone else, even though it had been awhile. Donna had been her best friend and she was supposed to be with Opie forever.

Everyone else who was still in the clubhouse all slowly filed outside while Gemma and Tara said goodbye to their men and Falyn stood in the back next to Piney, holding Abel on her hip while he tangled her long hair in his tiny fists. They all climbed onto their motorcycles, strapping their helmet straps and putting on sunglasses before they started off, Clay taking the lead as the first one out of the gates. The Sons from other charters cheered them on as they left the lot and then they closed the gates behind them while Gemma comforted Tara and Lyla, who both looked upset as they watched the men leave. She felt Piney squeeze her shoulder in a comforting gesture and then Gemma turned around to usher everyone back into the clubhouse where they would be safer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Falyn's outfit. Also, here is Gage, the dog.

Lastly, if any of you are interested, I made a tumblr account FINALLY so you can check it out if you want right here. Hope you enjoy! <3