Skeletons

003

Image


As soon as she had showered, Falyn got dressed in yesterday's jeans and gray v neck. The boxes hadn't been unloaded and unpacked yet, but she figured she would start off the day by making breakfast for her father.

She ventured downstairs into the kitchen to begin but when she opened the refrigerator, she saw nothing inside, save for two cans of Budweiser, a half used carton of eggs, and a jug of milk that had expired a week ago. She shook her head as she shut the fridge and went outside on the porch, grabbing her purse on the way out.

"Dad, what do you even eat all the time? There is nothing in there to cook."

He looked up at her from his chair and chuckled as he patted Gage's head where it rested on his knee. "Mostly I just have takeout."

She sighed. "Okay, I'm going to go to the grocery store."

"Take your time. When the kiddo gets up, I'm gonna take her fishing."

Falyn chuckled at the mental image of her daughter attempting to bait a hook. "Good luck with getting that kid to even touch a fishing rod."

"Just enjoy your day alone. And don't you dare unload all those boxes until I get back to help."

"Dad, I can do it by myself. I'm a big girl."

"I didn't say you couldn't. I said I don't want you to. Listen to your old man, Falyn."

She chuckled and kissed the top of his head. "Alright, alright. I won't unload the boxes, you stubborn ass."

Since her car was still loaded down with boxes, her father gave her the keys to his car to drive into Charming. The market seemed exactly the same as it had always been. Even the shelves were arranged in the same fashion. She quickly went through the aisles and grabbed what she needed, hoping to not run into anyone she didn't want to see.

She was in the produce section selecting apples when she heard her name.

"Falyn?"

She glanced behind her to see who had called her name but quickly did a double take.

"Davey"

David Hale (or Davey, as she had always called him) was Falyn's high school sweetheart. The first thing she'd ever noticed about him was his bright blue eyes and now, all these years later, it was still the first thing she noticed. If possible, his eyes seemed more blue than the last time she'd seen him. They were wide and curious as they searched hers.

"Unser said you were back in town."

"He said you were the deputy," she grinned, her eyes dropping to the gold page on his chest.

"How long are you in town?"

"For good. I think."

"Where are you living?"

"Well, I wanted to buy a house in town but my dad refuses to let us live anywhere but with him so-....."

"Us?"

Falyn cursed herself mentally for slipping up. It wasn't that she was ashamed of her daughter. She simply didn't want the town to start talking, which she knew would happen as soon as people found out.

"Yeah, me and, uh, my daughter."

"Oh," he nodded slowly, the look of surprise evident on his face. Unser obviously hadn't told him everything. He looked down to check his watch. "Well it was good to see you. I should get back to work."

"It was good to see you too."

His eyes stayed glued to hers for a moment longer before he turned on his heel and headed toward the exit. She sighed in defeat as she went back to picking apples. She guessed that David was probably still upset with her for the way she'd just abruptly ended things and ran off to Oregon.

Once she'd gotten everything she needed and checked out, she went back home to put the groceries away. Her father and Savannah were gone for at least until mid-afternoon, leaving her a few hours of free time. Since her father had forbidden her to start unpacking her car, she decided to spend the day in town. She walked around for awhile, taking in every detail. Everything looked the same as when she had left it eleven years ago. She pushed the glass door of the diner open and stepped inside, looking around. Thankfully, it was mostly empty.

She took a seat at the booth in the corner, her back to the door, and the waitress who worked there immediately recognized her. Sandra had been working in the diner when Falyn was a teenager. She and David frequently came in after school and on weekends. "Falyn, it's so good to see you! Are you visiting your dad?"

"Actually, I'm moving back."

"Really? That's great! So I'll be seeing more of you then," she winked.

"Probably. You know I can't resist the breakfast here."

Sandra chuckled. "Then I can safely assume you want your usual."

"You still remember my usual?"

"Honey, I don't forget."

She smiled and nodded and Sandra went back into the kitchen to put in her order. The door jingled as it opened but Falyn ignored it, guessing that it was probably just another Charming resident.

"Falyn Fitzpatrick."

There was no question of doubt in the voice. Falyn recognized it immediately and she wondered how in the hell that woman had recognized her by the back of her head. She slid out of the booth as the woman approached her and kissed her cheek.

"Hey, Momma Gemma."

"Wayne said you were back in Charming," she stated as she slid into the other side of the booth and took off her sunglasses.

"Is there anyone in town that old man didn't tell?"

Gemma smirked. "Probably not. So how have you been, baby?"

"Okay, I guess. It's pretty weird being back here."

"I heard about your mom. That's really shitty."

"Yeah, it was definitely unexpected."

"So you're moving back to Charming, huh?"

"Yep. It's good to be with my dad again."

"He's missed you like hell."

Sandra brought Falyn her drink and Gemma a cup of coffee, momentarily interrupting their conversation. As soon as she was gone, Gemma started again.

"So you got a kid." She didn't bullshit around. She got straight to the point if she wanted to get some information out of you.

Falyn groaned. "Chief Unser is worse than a teenage girl."

Gemma cracked a smile. "He lives for the Charming gossip."

"Apparently."

"So tell me about it."

"Her name's Savannah."

"How old is she?"

Falyn gritted her teeth. She didn't want to have this conversation. Gemma had been a mother figure for her growing up, but Falyn knew how involved she liked to get into everyone's business. Gemma looked up at her expectantly, waiting for her answer. "She's eleven," Falyn finally answered, knowing it was a bad idea.

"Huh. And how long have you been gone?"

Falyn gave her a look and her smirk widened. She could practically see the light that sprung onto Gemma's face when her look confirmed what Gemma had been thinking.

"Well, well. I guess we've found your reason for leaving. Now you just have to tell me who you were running from to hide it."

"Everyone," she muttered simply.

"But you were dating Hale at the time."

Falyn rolled her eyes and sighed heavily. "Gemma, I really don't want to talk about this."

Gemma put her hands up defensively. "Okay. I'll just get out of your way then."

She slid out of the booth, putting her sunglasses back on her face, and leaned down to kiss Falyn's cheek. "Good to see you, baby."

As soon as Gemma was gone, Falyn let her head fall into her hands, groaning in frustration. First full day in Charming and already she was contemplating Portland again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you all for reading and leaving lovely comments :)