Skeletons

005

Image


Coffee was the first thing on Falyn's mind at 7 o'clock in the morning as she slowly made her way down the stairs to the kitchen still dressed in her plaid pajama shorts and too big sweatshirt. She was in the middle of pouring herself a freshly made cup when there was a sharp knock on the wooden front door. She shuffled through the kitchen to the foyer and swung the door open, coffee mug still in hand.

"Gemma?"

"Mornin', baby."

She was fully awake now without even having a sip of her black coffee. She set her mug down on the table next to the front door and stepped outside onto the porch, shutting the door quietly behind her.

"Trying to hide her from me?"

"She's not awake yet. I'm not hiding her."

"If you say so."

Falyn sighed, crossing her arms over her chest. "What can I do for you, Gemma?"

"Actually, since you asked, I'm hosting a fundraiser today down at the school and I need help. You could bring the kid," she added as a suggestion.

Falyn involuntarily made a sound of disapproval and Gemma quirked an eyebrow at the younger woman. "Or don't. Whatever. Just come down and help."

"I'll, uh, see what I can do."

"Good. I'll see you later then."

"Maybe," she muttered under her breath as soon as Gemma was off the porch, out of earshot.

---


She was already regretting coming and she'd only just gotten out of the car. There were tons of people that had come out for Gemma's fundraiser. She couldn't even head straight to Gemma's booth because she was being stopped left and right. People she had gone to high school with now had families that they'd brought along for the kids' games.

She finally made a break through the crowds into open space and she walked through the parking lot. Out of nowhere, she heard rushed footsteps behind her right before she was almost knocked over by someone jumping on her back.

"I didn't believe Ope when he said you were back!"

"Donna? What the fuck, you almost tackled me!" she laughed.

She let go of Falyn, dropping back onto the ground, and Falyn immediately threw her arms around the older woman.

"I can't believe you're actually back!"

"Me either," Falyn groaned.

"Donna, did you jump on her? I told you not to jump on her," Opie scolded jokingly when he and the two children with him finally caught up to her. Donna shrugged and snaked her arms around Falyn's shoulders. "Fal, these are the kids, Ellie and Kenny. Kids, this is my best friend from school."

"Shit, I can't believe your kids are this big!"

"Hey, yours is older," she mumbled as she leaned closer to Falyn's ear.

"Shut it!"

Opie gave them both a strange look but they just smiled innocently at him. Kenny tugged on his mother's hand and pointed over to where the other children were playing a game. "Alright, go on," she said, shooing them away before turning back to Falyn. "Gotta go keep an eye on them. We have to get together later and catch up!"

"Definitely. I'll call you!"

Once Donna walked off after her kids, Falyn turned back to the man in front of her. "How ya doin', Ope?"

"Alright. It's still hard adjusting."

"I don't doubt it."

"What about you? Adjusting to Charming?"

She chuckled. "Besides all the women who come talk to me just being nosy, I guess it's okay. Charming hasn't really changed at all."

"No, it hasn't."

She sighed, running a hand through her dark hair. "Well, I guess I should go find Gemma. I unfortunately told her I'd help out."

He shook his head. "I don't envy you."

"Mm. I'll see you later."

She turned to walk away and Opie called after her, but instead of stopping, she simply turned back to him and began walking backwards. "Yeah?"

"It's good to have you back, you know."

She smiled. "It's good to be back, Ope."

The words had just left her mouth when her back hit something solid and she immediately startd to apologize before she even got turned around. "Oh, I'm sorry. I-"

"Falyn?" Jax Teller stood in front of her, his blue eyes wide and a grin on his face.

"Jax! Holy shit, it's been a long time."

"It sure has," he said, throwing his arms around her. "How the hell are ya, darlin'?"

"I'm okay. How are you?"

"Busy, as always. How long have you been back?"

"Almost two weeks."

He grabbed her shoulders and pulled her back to look at her face. "And you're just now showing yourself? What's wrong with you?" he joked.

"Hey, I was at the garage the other day with Opie, right in front of you. You were just being unsociable."

"Right. Sorry about that."

"No big deal. I know you got a lot going on."

He shook his head. "Everything's so crazy right now. With the kid at St. Thomas-"

"Yeah, Dad told me about him. Is he doing okay?"

"Gettin' stronger every day."

She smiled. "That's good to hear."

"Damn it's so good to see you."

"It's good to see you too. You haven't changed a bit."

"Neither have you."

She laughed to herself at that statement. So many things had changed with her since she left. "Well, I should get going. Wish me luck."

"For what?"

"I agreed to help your mother."

"You shouldn't have done that," he chuckled.

"I can't say no to her. You know that."

"You better learn quick if you plan on sticking around," he joked, nudging her with his elbow.

"Tell me about it."

"Well, good luck."

"Thanks. I'm sure I'll see you around."

"Most likely."

As soon as she left Jax in the parking lot, she could hear her name being called. She jerked her head to the right and saw Gemma and Gemma's friend Luann waving her over. She grumbled to herself as she crossed the lawn, going over to the booth where they were standing.

"I can't believe you're really back, Falyn!" Luann exclaimed as she pulled the younger woman into a tight hug. "Gemma said you had a kid but I can't believe it!"

Falyn chuckled nervously. "Trust me, I haven't always had these hips."

"Shut up. You look great."

Gemma uncrossed her arms and rested one hand on her hips. "Didn't bring the kid?"

"She wanted to spend the day with my dad."

Falyn was eager to get off the subject and Gemma could tell. "She's liking Charming?"

"For the most part. She misses her friends at home but she likes being able to spend so much time with my dad."

Luann rubbed her shoulder. "It's good that you're back. Your daddy's missed you like crazy all these years."

"He better have," she joked.

Falyn wanted nothing more than to get out there as she watched Gemma size her up. She hated feeling like she was being judged and that was exactly what Gemma was doing. She cleared her throat. "So what can I help you do?"

Luann began explaining everything that needed to be done, leaving Gemma to observe silently. Falyn could feel the older woman's eyes boring into her but she helped Luann anyway, doing her best to pretend like Gemma wasn't even there.

It wasn't an easy task.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry about the wait! Let me know what you think? :)