Status: In progress :D

The Darkest Nights

p r o l o g u e

She looked around. It was empty. There were no signs of life on the highway. Route 30, she thought. To her right there was a abandoned Ford shop. Some of the vans, cars, and trucks were stolen. About every other space was empty. She could've walked right in and took the keys to a trusty, dependent vehicle to save the pain in her legs from growing anymore, but that would attract them . That was the last thing she wanted. But it was day time. She was safe. For now...

But for the most part, there was silence. Sheer, utter silence. But you'd learn to love the silence like a mother loves her child. And then there was darkness. You'd learn to fear the darkness like a mouse fears a cat. It'd eat you whole and spit you out just to engulf you again. That's when it wasn't safe. And then there was time. You had all the time in the world, here. In a matter of time, you'd eventually hear a short, horrifying scream or a toddler's cry echo throughout the night. If you're lucky, that is. That'd remind you of when people let out short, shrill screams in haunted houses or when a baby screams because he didn't catch a football that ended up hitting him in the head. But this wasn't that. These were screams of helpless toddlers getting picked off by the dozen because their family left them in small groups in hope that they would survive. Well, the countless familys and children would just get killed anyway. Everyone would. They will not rest.

The woman made her way West. She could go East on 30, but that would eventually take her to New Jersey, where there were still signs of humanity. Her destination was Cumberland, California, the center of all this macabre. She wasn't sure when her blood curdling scream would come, but by then she hoped she could stop it all. Even though she knows she has no chance at all, she won't give up until she tried.

She decided against boarding herself up in fear at night. She had to keep moving. So, it was no surprise that when dusk fell every single one of them creeped their way out. She walked around the rotting remains of some man and continued on her journey. He ment nothing to her. If she even knew him, she wouldn't be able to reconize him. He was too far into the decaying process. Way too far. So, she continued without a word as night began to fall.

The moon was high in the sky when she covered about eight miles. She didn't care about sleep. She'd sleep when the sun was risin. When she was safe. She was now walking under the trees, yet still in sight of PA 30 West. She had to follow that route a long way yet. She paused when she heard a twig snap. She had no source of light. The brightness standing against the dark night would've attracted them . It was then when she was pounced on. She felt its weight on her chest as she struggled to break free. She felt the heat of it's bristley fur. And she felt it's long, sharp claws graze her neck.

"W-wait," she stuttered, calm as could be. The creature paused. She took that as a sign to continue speaking. "W-what are you?" she asked, somehow still keeping calm.

The creature looked up as red eyes met light blue, it's tough brown hair making a rustling noise as it did so. It opened its mouth to reveal many sharp teeth, many stained with blood. "We are the Meek," it hissed in a rough, inhuman voice. She blinked, signaling that she understood just before the creature moved it's long, boney fingers to slit her throat open. It's hands kind of resembled Edward Sissorhands's, was her last thought before she slipped away into a second round of darkness and sheer, utter silence.

That was the end of her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hmm.. Good story for Halloween, yeah? So, tell me if you think this should be a oneshot. But, I do have some ideas for charecters and chapters and such, too. So, just tell me! My idea of The Meek is inspired by The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth by Creature Feature. Listen to it. It's a great song. That's about it!

I expect comments on weather to continue or not! The fate of the story is in your hands!!! That means you, Silent Readers! And Comment-ey Readers. All readers in general, ok? That's about it.

x o
D e t t s