Call Me Maybe

Chapter 1-First Meeting

For three years I had been at McKinley high school and for three years I wasn’t interested in anyone. Well, that was until a young man in red jeans that are way too short for him, who was also wearing no socks on with his shoes and had a cute little bow tie on his black shirt graced the halls of McKinley. And since that day I swear I had become obsessed with Blaine Anderson.

It was unlike me to get so engaged with guys. My parents always said Jenny, you go for your career, you don’t bother with boys they’ll just drag you down. So that’s what I’ve always done. I’m always getting straight A’s in every single subject and maybe one day I could be a Doctor or a Dentist. And that’s great, really it is. But being extremely clever does nothing for your popularity.

Rather than joining people in the cafeteria, bonding in all sorts of clubs such as cheerleading and glee club, I just kept to myself. Stuck in the library, my nose in a book and it worked. Well, until now.

Weeks had passed since Blaine had first arrived at this school and although, I knew he was gay. Although I knew he was in a loving relationship with Kurt I couldn’t help but just watch him. His locker was just down the corridor from mine and I checked what time he’d be there and would make sure I was at my locker that time every day. And it just gave me a thrill where I’d pretend to be looking in my locker for some books when really I was looking at him from the corner of my eye.

Yet he never noticed me. Blaine, he’s too talented. Too charming, too amazing. Sometimes I’d be passing Glee club and I’d see him singing, today he was singing Katy Perry’s Last Friday Night and I dare say, he performed it and sang it better than her!

Being a nerd, not being a part of any groups made me invisible. Or so I thought… because as I stood by my locker today, discreetly looking at the hotness of Blaine Anderson something amazing happened. He looked back at me. And not only that he smiled. My heart leapt out of my mouth, as I smiled back at him and then… I got slushied. “That’s for looking interested in Glee club nerd.” Some footballer told me as he walked past and Blaine’s smile disappeared and I slammed my locker door shut before storming off. It was so humiliating that I just wanted to cry.

For ages I’d been desperate for the tiniest bit of attention from Blaine, even if he looked at me with hatred, but just having that ice cold slushie in my face embarrassed me and made me storm off crying. I ran straight for the girls toilets, using the sink to hopefully wash the red slushie off my face and out of my eyes and hair. This took a good half an hour of my time unfortunately, meaning I was late for my next class.

Quickly I power walked into class, my head hanging in shame. “Sorry, I’m late Mr Cane.” I told my Science teacher, but thankfully he didn’t say anything, knowing it was a rarity for me to be late. I wandered over to my seat, only to see Blaine sat at the front of the class. Oh, how I could stare at his slickly gelled hair all day. “Right.” Mr Cane said. “I want you all to discuss whether you believe religion plays any part in Science. I shall put you into groups of three.” Everyone groaned and moaned at this, clearly wanting to be with their friends. “Tina, Sam and Jane. You three together. Brittany, Blaine and Jenny, you three shall go together.” My jaw dropped; never had I worked in a group with Blaine Anderson. I never wanted to just in case I said the wrong thing and he never talked to me again.

My whole body was shaking, but I walked to the front table and decided to join Brittany in hope that Blaine would come and join us. He did after a few seconds. “I’m confused.” Brittany began as both Blaine and I took a seat on either side of her. “What are you confused about?” I wonder.
“Well, in the bible they never talk of science, so science didn’t exist in those days, so how can religion and science play the same thing?”
Suddenly, I got off topic. “Hey Brittany, aren’t you a senior?”
“Yeah, I have my senior prom this year!” She said changing topic. “I’m still debating buying Lord Tubbington a tux, but I think he’s going to have stop smoking to earn that.”
“Yeah…” I begin. “Umm… You do realise there are only juniors in this class right?”
“Yeah, I got lost and when I found the right class, it was totally confusing, so I thought just come here.”
“Ok.” I smiled and Blaine suddenly put his hand out to me, I got confused about what he wanted me to do. “Hi.” He smiled a white tooth smile. “I’m Blaine, Blaine Anderson.” My heart skipped a beat, oh how I’d been dreaming and dreading this day since Blaine came to McKinley. “Hi.” I replied and took his hand and shook it. “I’m Jenny Spears.”
“No, you’re not.” Brittany put in.
“Yes I am.”
“I am Brittany S. Pierce. You can’t be the new Britney Spears; your name isn’t even Britney.”
“I know, I’m not. I’m just me.” I replied and looked at my hand still shaking Blaine’s hand. “I’m sorry.”
“No problem.” He replied. “So I haven’t seen you around here, have you been here long Jenny?”
“Yeah, years, I just like to spend time in the library is all.” Great Jenny! Now he’s going to think you’re some complete nerd, great one! He grinned. “The library huh? You don’t catch many teenagers from McKinley in there, do you?”
“No, a lot of the people here are more interested in being popular.”
“Yeah, true. I think it’s good that you have such a strong interest in education though.”
“Thanks.” I blushed, before attempting to get the conversation away from me. “So, you go out with Kurt, don’t you?” I asked him, feeling angry with myself for asking such a stupid question and for making my little crush obvious. Oh, why couldn’t I have become obsessed with a straight man like everyone else? “Yeah, he’s applying for NYADA.”
“Wow. That’s a top college.”
“Yeah, so I bet you’re aiming high?”
“I’m hoping to be going to Harvard.” I blush, thinking how geeky and nerdy I must sound in front of him. However, a flash of surprise passes his face, not judgement. “Wow, Harvard! You must be clever. Do you ever unwind from learning and revision?”
“Yeah, in my spare time I like to sing.”
“That’s great! I sing all the time, hey, maybe you could join the Glee club?”
“I…” I began, but Blaine placed a gentle hand on my shoulder and interrupted what I was going to say. “I mean, you look like you could do with some more friends and I saw you get slushied earlier and thought the Glee club are always getting slushied and who better to help you than people who understand?”
“Ok.” I said unexpectedly quick. God, this man could have asked me to lick a toilet seat at this point and I swear I would’ve said yes. Brittany then breaks into the conversation. “Don’t expect help from me, I never get slushied.”
“Right, what has everyone come up with?” Mr Cane asked and looked straight at our table, but thankfully the bell rung as none of us had prepared.

I walked out of the classroom, just behind Blaine. He turned to me. “I’m heading to Glee now if you want to come?”
“I…” I was about to say yes when suddenly Kurt came along to his boyfriend’s side.
“Oh Blaine, you don’t know how worried I am about NYADA. What if I don’t get in?”
“You’ll get in.” Blaine tells him supportively and moves an arm around him. Already I feel out of place and awkward, so I quickly disappear off to the library…

About twenty minutes or so into my library session, someone takes a seat next to me. I’m unable to acknowledge them though as heart surgery is engulfing me at this point. Well, it was, until the person says-“Hey.” I look up and see these kind, dark eyes, staring back at mine. “You ran off earlier. Why?” Blaine asked.
“I just thought you and Kurt would want to be alone together.”
“No, we have plenty of time alone outside of school. Plus, I want you to join the Glee club unless you’ve forgotten? I was about to introduce you to Kurt as our newest member but you ran off, so we didn’t get a chance to speak.”
“Ok, I’ll join Glee.” I say and Blaine places his hand on mine and smiles.
“Good.” He takes hold of my hand and leads me to the choir room, his hand feels warm in mine and just right.

As we reach the choir room I see a lot of people I already know. There’s Rachel Berry in her usual orange skater dress. There’s Finn Hudson, Rachel’s boyfriend looking as tall as ever. And then there’s Kurt who offers Blaine a warm and friendly smile. Blaine let’s go of my hand and we walk further into the choir room, so that everyone can see me. When everyone looks my way there was a welcoming smile on their faces, but despite that immediately I felt nervous. I’m never new in anything and I knew from that moment they were expecting me to sing.

The teacher, Will Schuster turned to me and Blaine and said-“Blaine, who’s this?”
“This is the newest member of New Directions.”
“Can she sing?”
“How about we find out?”
“No, I don’t like singing in front of crowds.”
“Relax, I’ll sing with you.” Blaine told me and I nodded my head slowly, making me feel slightly calmer. Blaine pointed to the piano man-“Let’s have a bit of Maroon 5.” He told him and the piano man started playing and immediately I knew what the song was, but allowed Blaine to start. “Beauty queen of only eighteen, she, had some trouble with herself.”
“He was always there to help her, she, always belonged to someone else.” I smiled.
“I drove for miles and miles and wound up at your door.” Blaine returned my smile with a heartfelt grin.
“I’ve had you so many times, but, somehow I want more.”

Together we joined in on the chorus-“I don’t mind spending every day out on the corner in the pouring rain, look for the girl with a broken smile, ask her if she wants to stay a while and she will be loved. She will be loved.”
“I know where you drive alone in your car, know all of the things that makes you who you are.” Blaine sang to me and circled around me, whilst I turned to face him.
“I know that goodbye means nothing at all.” I take hold of his hand and we stare at one another, before letting go and turning around. “But makes me want to catch her every time she falls.” I smiled to myself.
“Yeah… Knock on my window, knock on my door, I wanna make you feel beautiful yeah…”

We spun around then and did the chorus together one last time. “I don’t mind spending every day, out on the corner in the pouring rain, look for the girl with a broken smile. Ask her if she’d like to stay a while and she will be loved. She will be loved. Oh.. oh… oh… OH… OH… Ohhhhh. Ooooohh…. Try so hard to say goodbye…”

Everyone in Glee club applauded us, making me blush a bright crimson red, but it didn’t matter, I actually sang a duet with Blaine. Blaine! All the times I’d watch him perform and now, here I am, performing with him. Mr Schuster was the first to jump in with appraisal. “Nice guys, you two have so much chemistry, so if you’d sit down please.” We followed his instructions and took a seat near Kurt, Rachel and Finn. “This week guys, your assignment is chemistry, if we are going to take Nationals this year, then we are going to need it.”
“No problem, I’ve got this Mr Schu.” Rachel began. “I have chemistry with everyone in here.”
“Great Rachel, right, so all of you go off and set out some performances where you can showcase your chemistry. End of class.”

We just got here I thought and it’s already the end. That’s a shame. “Ok, Rachel and Blaine.” Kurt began. “I was thinking big sleepover at my house.”
“Ok, I think I’m going to stay over someone else’s house.” Finn put in.
“Why?” Rachel asked him.
“Because your sleepovers with Kurt are all about fashion and stuff.”
“Ok Finn.” She smiled and he left the choir room.
“Will your dad be ok with it?” Blaine wondered.
“Already checked it over with him and he’s fine.” He paused and looked my way. “Hey Jenny, I don’t suppose you’d want to join us?”
“No, it’s fine.”
“Come on, I am so desperate to give you a makeover and change your fashion.”
“What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” I asked Kurt.
“Denim jacket with Denim jeans, say no more. If it was a short Denim Jacket with Denim shorts then you would probably get away with it, but it’s not.”
“Ok fine.” I sighed.
“Great, and me and Rachel can talk about NYADA!”

So after school, I went home and spoke to my dad about this sleepover. “Hey Daddy, is it alright if I stay at Kurt’s tonight?”
“Who’s Kurt? Is he your new boyfriend or something? Because I’m not down with that.”
“No Daddy, he’s gay. My friend Rachel is going to be there too.”
“That’s fine, go have fun for once.”
“Thanks.” I smiled and started to get packing.

After what Kurt had said earlier I felt terribly embarrassed about the denim on denim incident. So quickly got changed into something that might be more fashionable and that maybe might catch Blaine’s eye. I mean, if my outfit was so bad, then he probably was thinking definitely not my type. Well, he thought that anyway because he’s gay, but maybe, just maybe I could try and catch his eye a little bit, even if it means just him as a gay man complimenting my fashion.

Quickly I searched through my wardrobe and found my shortest black dress. Since my wardrobe is very conservative it meant that my shortest dress was just above the knee, but that was ok, since I didn’t want to be a complete slut. As I looked in the mirror, I thought wow, this dress shows off way too much cleavage, so quickly I grabbed a long, fuzzy cardigan to help cover me up and a long, thick scarf to make sure there was no cleavage. I then packed a bag, such as toothbrush, a new set of clothes, a hairbrush etcetera.

And then I was ready to go.

As I knocked on Kurt’s door, I became completely nervous. What did Blaine think of me already? Did he like me? Or did he just feel sorry for me? Suddenly, all the fear was taking over me and I thought, just go home. This is a bad idea.

But then the door opened…