Status: Working on it. ~

Symphony of Melancholy

Celia Morse

It was pointless to say that I had bad luck, since it was obvious to anyone who knew me. Ever since I could remember, nothing went my way. And then something did. Even then, things would happen to drag down the bit of luck I was granted.

I had bad luck in school. I had bad luck in my family. I had bad luck with my future. I had bad luck with women.

It all started when I was in secondary. It was my final year, and I was soon to turn eighteen. My band had been going on full strength for almost three years, but so far we’d had no chance at getting big. Everyone in school knew of my band, and we had played a few gigs at dances and such. But we still got no where.

It was around then when I met my friend real girlfriend. Every girl I had talked to and “dated” before were just me messing around. Or that’s how I looked at it.

Anyway, back to my story.

That was around when I had my first girlfriend. I had a class with her, and ever since I saw her, I thought she was gorgeous. I’d just stare at her, day after day, until my friends said I was getting a little creepy. Then I finally got up the courage to talk to her.

I had always been told, if you can make a girl laugh the first time you talk, then you have a chance. And sure enough, I made her laugh.

I slowly got used to talking to her every day before, after much convincing my all my mates, I asked her out. She said yes without hesitation.

This girl’s name was Celia Morse. And I’ll never forget that name.

Now, I know you’re probably thinking “How is this bad luck? You have a pretty girl, and you’re happy.” But I haven’t told you everything yet.

Things went well for the first month and a half. We saw each other every day. Except for the weekends. She always told me she had family things to do on the wednesdays and, being the naive bloke I am, I believed her and let it go.

It went on like that the whole time.

Until someone came to me one day and said to me that Celia was out with a friend that Saturday. Usually, that wouldn’t bother someone. But because she said she had “family things” to do, it bothered me. Against my better judgement, I brushed it off. I briefly asked her about it and she told me an old friend of her’s was in town, and her family let her out that day to spend it with her.

That was a good enough reason for me, then. Plus, they said she was with a girl, so what should I have been suspicious about?

After that incident, no one else saw her out on the weekends. So I believed her story without a doubt in my mind.

Then one day, I was out getting dinner for the family and I spotted her sitting at a table talking to someone.

I considered not going up and talking to her, but then I thought “She’s my girlfriend, why can’t I go and talk to her?” And with that, I walked up.

“Celia, what are you doing here, love?” I had said. The look on her face was once of shock and then almost horror.

“J-Josh? What are you doing here?” She asked me, standing up and attempting to pull me away, but I didn’t let her. I just pulled her to me and kissed her cheek.

“Who’s your friend?” I asked, noticing the short-haired girl on the other end of the table from her.
Before Celia could answer me, her friend stood up. “Hello, I’m Maryse. I’m Celia’s girlfriend, and you are?”

At this point, I didn’t really know where I was, what to do, or even who I was talking to.

After that, all Celia could do was just walk away. That left me and her “girlfriend” just staring at each other. I didn’t even have the initiative to tell her that I was Celia’s boyfriend.

When I finally saw Celia again at school, she handed me all the things I had gotten her over the time we were together. A sweatshirt of mine, the bear I gave her after a month of being together, and the demo from our band that I had done.

“I’m sorry you had to find out that way, Josh. I care about you and all, but I love Maryse. I was just with you so that my parents wouldn’t suspect anything” She said, “I’m sorry.”

And with that, Celia Morse walked out of my life. I never talked to her again, I just focused myself on getting over her and moving on.

That was the first time I found out personally that girls weren’t all flowers and sunshine. That’s when I finally started realizing how I needed to change.