Status: Working on it. ~

Symphony of Melancholy

Ashley Avery

It was about a year later when I took my next step in life.

I was nineteen, and my band had just taken off. We were getting right up there with a growing fanbase. At this point, I even had good friends in the business with me. I thought my life was straightening out.

Then I met the girl that would ultimately teach me something everyone needed to survive.
Trust no one.

Her name was Ashley Avery. She was a pretty blonde with blue eyes that anyone could just get lost in. I met her in a coffee shop, as cliche as it sounds. She enjoyed all the same things I did. She laughed at all my jokes, and could even make me laugh with hers. I got her number before I left the shop that day.

I spent days calling her and texting her, and then seeing her right after. When I finally got over my fears of the past repeating itself, I asked her out. She pretended to think a little, but ended up accepting anyway.

We went to a nice little restaurant and had dinner, and I took her home and kissed her on her doorstep. Sounds like a fairytale, right? Well that’s where the hill stopped and the fall began.

I invited her to spend time with my friends. They all just loved her, and I could understand why. She was just the sweetest thing.

And the one day, when I was having a drink with some of the guys from other bands, she came by.

Someone I considered one of my best friends, he understood our struggle for recognition, took a liking to her. I promptly told him to back off of her, that she was my girlfriend.

“Mate, I’m not moving in on your bird, I promise” He told me with a grin. Not having any reason to doubt him, I accepted it and went on with life.

Over the next few weeks, she stopped taking time to spend with me. Said she was having to do extra hours at work to pay for everything. I accepted it, I was young and still didn’t know any better.

Then I started to notice that when I asked if she wanted to hang out with my mates and I at a pub, she’d say yes without hesitation. And the “liking” that was going on before, continued.

As suspicious as I was, I wanted to trust her. So I tried to. But the longer this went on, the worse I began to feel.

And finally, that moment I have been anticipating, came.

“Josh, we need to talk” Ashley had told me over the phone. She agreed to come over so we could talk about it.

When she got there, my “friend” was with her. I had no idea what was going on, but let them in anyway.

Then she told me she was leaving me for him. I can’t say I was surprised and have it be the complete truth.

“I love him, Josh” She told me, “I’m sorry.”

Those words. “I’m sorry.” I would never be able to take those words seriously again.

I accepted it and made them leave. My friend tried to apologize, over and over, but I just shrugged it off and never talked to him. I saw him for a few tours, but not much other than that.

Our interaction was kept at a minimum.

I never talked to Ashley again after that. I wanted to save myself the pain of that awkward experience.

I didn’t let that stop me from moving forward with our band, though.

Even at this point, I still thought things would get better.