Prince 'Charming'

Sk8er Boi

You could say it started in the middle of my eighth grade year, his seventh. Since we're keeping some confidentiality, I guess we'll call him Skater Boy.

I'll start with how we met. First day of school. His first day back in public school since fourth grade, having been home schooled. My first day with really no friends left. They all moved on to high school. By now, I was used to not having many people to talk to.

The junior high principal insists that we all do the pledge before we go to class on the first day. I just wanted to go to my first period. English, also my homeroom. Mr. Pettit taught it, and I was so glad I had him for my first class every day.

Its as I'm standing there, minding my own business, that some blonde kid wearing a hat bumps into me, making me spill the coffee that was in my hands, almost hitting my black Vans. "Watch it, kid," I snap, death glaring him.

The kid cowers back, gray-blue eyes wide. "Shit, I'm sorry," he mumbles, quickly darting into the crowd.

I roll my eyes, continuing to ignore the people around me. They pushed me out, and I wasn't going back. Fuck them.

We did the stupid pledge, listened to the stupid speech, and went to class. I didn't see him again until lunch, when I had actually acquired a friend, and found pretty much the only friend I had left, Audrey. The new girl's name was Sarah, she's my friend's cousin. We were sitting together at lunch, no one else approaching us, until Blondie decided it would be alright to sit with us.

"Hi," he says, dropping his tray onto the table next to us. Next to me. We all stared at him in shock for a moment. He tells us his name, and we tell him ours, and continue eating. It's then that I notice he has dimples, and is actually pretty cool, really funny.

I think it may have been then that I started to like Skater Boy.

Months pass, and we're at the Winter Formal. Skater Boy and I have been hanging out, not a lot, but enough to realize that we're a lot alike. We've become good friends by now. We're at the dance, sitting together, and a slow song comes on. We're still sitting there, laughing at the awkward couples.

The school year continues, and it's winter break. We don't talk at all over winter break, but the day we go back to school, he hugs me. It was such a warm hug, maybe only because it was about 33 degrees that day, and he could be a space heater.

The year continues, and we get closer and closer. There's a dance coming up, just a silly after school one, put on by the junior high's after school program, Club Timberwolf, partnering with the school's Club Live chapter. The lights were weird, and it was hurting my head. I went and sat down, and Skater Boy was in the chair next to me, his legs propped up on a chair. More people joined us, and thus began the epic leg pile. Skater Boy and my legs were tangled together. I stole his hat, a funny thing that looks sort of like a Spartan helmet, only not metal.

We sat like that until five o'clock. Skater Boy's arm around my shoulder. I was smiling the rest of the night.

Skip ahead to May first, second, or so. Skater Boy dumps the girl he'd been dating for about a week and a half, and tells Audrey it's because he likes me.

We continue to get closer, and my friend Charianna finally just asks him, "When the hell are you going to ask her out?" She points at me.

Skater Boy blushes madly. The three of us were sitting together after school, by the flagpole. Even I'm blushing. Skater Boy doesn't respond. He just shifts uncomfortably, our hands just barely touching.

Its just two weeks later that he and I are sitting together after school, in the 'Wolf Den', on a Thursday. It was Open House night at the school, the reason why our minimum day was Thursday that week, not Wednesday. No one else was around, just us, and he just leaned over, murmuring in my ear, "Be my girlfriend?"

I smiled, nodding, and he laced our fingers together.