Prince 'Charming'

Let Live

Time to fast forward again. Second to last week of my eighth grade year. Our graduation dance was the next day, Saturday June fourth. Skater Boy had asked me to the dance; since our school is so small, both the seventh and eighth graders went.

That day after school was spent trying to figure out the theme from our place by the flagpole. We finally figured it out when the principal went past, carrying Indiana Jones movies into the gym, where no one would be until tomorrow at the dance.

My mom came to pick me up just two hours later, and Skater Boy hugged me super tight, mumbling, "I'll see you tomorrow," in my ear before he let me go, his fingers lingering on mine.

I nodded and darted to the car before my mom could honk again.

The next day, I had a softball game just a few hours before the dance. He was there. So was his ex-girlfriend. We'll call her Bitch Face, because she's a bitch. For the record, I can't bat worth shit, but I can catch and throw like a motherfucking beast.

We finished up the game, our team losing as usual. "The Swaggers". Such a fucking dumb name. I did not get a say on the team name.

Then, we were off to the pool and barbecuing. My mom picked me up a little while later, and then we went to pick up my friend Kelsey. We got ready, and before I knew it, it was time for the dance.

As Kelsey and I walked in together, he was the first person I saw. He was wearing a black button down, and nice jeans with his usual skate shoes and Rockstar Energy hat. He didn't see me for another few minutes, but when he did, he hurried over, pulling me into his arms and whispering in my ear that I looked beautiful.

It was the first time anyone had ever called me beautiful.