Prince 'Charming'

If It Hadn't Been For Cotton-Eyed Joe.

The dance went by faster than I thought possible, with only one incident standing out. I had stuck my phone in my bra, seeing as I had no pockets on my dress or on the shorts I was wearing underneath the dress. My friend, Diana, and I had been talking the day before about how it would be hilarious if my phone vibrated or something during a slow dance when he and I were dancing together.

And, so, you'll never guess what happened.

My phone vibrated during a slow dance, and Skater Boy looked at me strangely. I giggled nervously. "Um, technical difficulties," I mumbled, quickly moving away and yanking my phone out of my dress, turning off the alarm that had just gone off. Damn it, damn it, damn it! I should've turned this dumb thing off!

As soon as my phone stopped going off and I tucked it back into my dress, Skater Boy's arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me back to his chest. I looped my arms loosely around his neck, hugging him lightly. He pulled me even closer, leaning his cheek against the top of my head. Skater boy was so much taller than me. Sometimes it was annoying, but at times like this?

It was like he was the perfect height for me. When he hugged me, the top of my head was right at the same level as his chin. Okay, maybe he wasn't really that tall, only around 5'8" at the time, but give me a break. I was 5'1" at the time, and not wearing heels since I kicked those things off pretty much the minute I got to the dance.

The song ended, and I finally convinced Skater Boy to stay out on the dance floor and dance with me to the fast songs for a while. Then, because our history teacher at the junior high is a red neck from Valley Center, California, just like me, he played Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex.

Of course, I can't resist that song. I ran out with all the boys, except for Skater Boy, and we did the whole line dance with can-can kicks and everything. It was brilliant. Always was. We were all laughing as the song ended, and Skater boy was laughing, too, shaking his head at me.

"You are so crazy!" he yelled, and I laughed, nodding. Skater Boy smiled, leaning in and kissing my cheek sweetly. "Let's go sit down. You look like you're about to pass out from all that cowgirl dancing."

I couldn't help but smile at him. Skater Boy hurried over to grab two cups of the fruit punch they were serving, and I giggled at his actions. He made me sit down and watch Indiana Jones for about ten minutes before he even would let me get up and drag him back out to dance again.

The dance ended before I even realized it, and then I felt him tugging my hand, pulling me outside and into one of the little which-a-ma-call-it's. They're basically like a gazebo only not as cool.

There was the giant rock from one of the Indiana Jones movies, cardboard of course, and it sort of blocked the two of us from view of the rest of the people flooding out of the elementary gym. "I had a lot of fun tonight," Skater Boy tells me, smiling.

I smiled back. "Me, too."

He leaned down, kissing me quickly on the lips. "I'll see you on Monday, Bailey," Skater Boy says, kissing me one more time before darting off to where I could see his mom standing at the end of the path up to the elementary's playground, office, gym, etc.

"Aww!" our friend Albert cooed. I didn't know he'd seen that. Matter of fact, I hadn't known anyone had seen it.

Another friend, Cheyenne, stood with her boyfriend, Kody, right next to him, all of them with shit eating grins on their faces. Oh, God. I was never going to hear the end of this now.